Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Playing a druid
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  04:08:22  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, I have two questions.

1- Which books do you recommend for getting a better sense and understanding about playing a druid?

2- Is shapeshifting a must for druid characters? I like the druid class but dislike the shapeshifting. Will a druid casting less shapeshifting be less powerful and play the class "wrong" ?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  07:22:40  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Books, not sure what would be good. Become a tree huger though appears some guidance. Nature and balance is your mission. A place protected is where the flowers grow, trees flourish, the steams run clean where fish swim and so on.

Shape shifting is an ability available, there is no requirement to have to use it. There tough is feature of regaining some hit points using the tool under 3.5. I would not expect it would be too much a limit to never change form, just one possible option not used. Could be much like a Wizard that never uses fire magic. There are other tools that can be used.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  10:22:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

1- Which books do you recommend for getting a better sense and understanding about playing a druid?

Hm, if we're talking about Novels I really liked the Darkwalker on Moonshae. I'm drawing a blank for novels that talk about a Druid protagonist. For supplements, I like Complete Champion and Complete Adventurer (if your using 3rd Edition) and Primal Power for 4E.

quote:
Originally posted by farinal

2- Is shapeshifting a must for druid characters? I like the druid class but dislike the shapeshifting. Will a druid casting less shapeshifting be less powerful and play the class "wrong" ?

Hm, really depends on Edition for functionality. Let me say that there's no "Wrong" way to play anytyhing in D&D but there is a power curve for the mechanics side and you might not be realizing the full potential of a class by ignoring a significant feature. If we're talking about 3E (for some reason, I'm assuming we are) then yes, not using the Wild Shape feature does limit your possibilities and capabilities as far as mechanics go.

There are a few options you can search for that can supplant this feature with something else. The Aspect of Nature is a varient in which you give up your Wild Shape ability to instead gain an aspect of a certain animal as a standard action. You get more "aspects" as you gain levels and can switch them out as your options grow. They last 1 minute per Druid level and you can assume a number per day equal to the normal amount you could've Wild Shaped. This version isn't as powerful as full Wild Shaping but it is pretty cool as it's less gimmicky and you don't have to worry about changing stats all the time. I would also ask the DM of the group if you can take Wild Shape feats (extra wild shape, quicken wild shape, etc) but apply the same effects to your Aspect of Nature feature since they have the same limitations (require a standard action to use, have a limited amount per/day, etc).

I'm not entirely sure if the Player's Handbook II version of the Druid is similiar to the Aspect part found in the D20SRD site but it could be. There might also be other varients in the plethora of supplements for v3.5 such as complete adventurer and complete champion.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  15:35:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1 -- Check out the "Moonshae" trilogies. If you want to see what being a druid in the Realms is like, pick up Darkwalker on Moonshae especially, by Doug Niles. And then follow up with the rest of the series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000