Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Where is the Lost Vale?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  14:48:21  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Lost Vale is home to the saurials, and I know the vale is somewhere in or near the Dalelands. But does anyone know an exact location via the Realms map?

I read it was once called Tarkhaldale and it's somewhere west of Shadowdale. Is it in the Desertmouth or on the other side?

Much appreciated if someone can point out on a map were this is at.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  15:21:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know whether I'm misremembering... but I think Markus came up with the best definitive location for the Lost Vale based on existing Realmslore. I haven't seen or heard of anyone in an official capacity faulting his positioning of the Vale on his as-close-to-official-as-they-can-be-maps.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  16:27:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
FR Wiki

Tarkhaldale is considered one of the dales in the Dalelands, despite being located between Anauroch and the Dalelands. It is generally unmarked on maps, but is located west of Shadowdale.

The wiki cites an article by SKR in Dragon #292 as the source. Lost Vale can be seen bordering the Desertsmouth Mountains and the Anauroch on this map, it is sometimes described as terrain-locked and impossible to access without magical gates.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 13 Jan 2013 16:41:42
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  23:50:58  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah I see. Interesting. Thank you for the help all
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  17:26:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It can also be seen, quite clearly, on this snippet from the map that came with The Dalelands.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jan 2013 17:27:20
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  13:20:27  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tarkhaldale(the Lost Dale) is detailed on page 48 of The Dalelands (FRS1). This is the intro:

"Once Tarkhaldale was a strong and fair land of farmers and miners, akin to the lands of Sessrendale or Archendale. The people traded with the elves of the Border Forest and the dwarves of the Desertsmouth. The Tarkhaldalesmen were allies and trading partners of the buried kingdoms that once sprawled over Anauroch, Asram and Holondah.
"The Dale's decline began when the great human empires of Anauroch were swallowed by the sands. No one knows when the Dale was abandoned; the folk just drifted away as time went by. The fall of Teshendale was the final blow, or so I have heard. For 50 years or more no one contested the rule of orcs and goblins.
"Ye must swear not to reveal what I tell ye now - Tarkhaldale lives again. A wandering people known as saurials have found homes there. The saurials are strange creatures, found nowhere else in the Realms, but I've found them to be stalwart allies and good friends."
- Elminster

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 24 Jan 2013 13:21:27
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  13:45:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am pretty sure that one of the Dragon Magazines from the time (1993) had an article with maps of the dales that were accidentally left out of The Dalelands, can't seem to find it though. If it exists then Tarkhaldale should be one of them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000