Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 The Old Dungeons and Dragons Cartoon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  19:01:05  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone remember where the old D&D cartoon took place? ....I don't think it was Faerun............

Anyone have any thoughts on the old show......(those of you old enough to remember it, that is...)

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  19:07:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah i sure remember it fond memories! It was my first introduction to the name of "Dungeons and Dragons". Its what most non-D&D fans recall when you mention the name too.

I have 2 of the original videos with about 3 or 4 episodes on each and a recorded tape of about 12 others. Ill dig them out at some point and list all the episode names for you.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Fynn Céldor
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  01:49:33  Show Profile  Visit Fynn Céldor's Homepage Send Fynn Céldor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ahh yeah, didn't you love the 80s?? i remember watching that and that nintendo cartoon when i was like 4 or 5. those were the days..

spirit. it is the hero's strength, the mother's resilieance, and the poor man's armor. it cannot be broken, and it cannot be taken away. this i must believe.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  04:37:50  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the nintendo cartoons came later. I remember the D&D cartoon, but I couldn't watch it very often because my mom didn't like me watching it (I don't think I need to go into that, it should be familar territory for many of you). Is it just nostalgia, or were non-anime cartoons better back then?
Go to Top of Page

Merrzeran
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  05:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Merrzeran's Homepage Send Merrzeran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holly COW! That took me back. Used to watch that show all the time even if the charectors were slightly cheeezzzy. Just slightly. But seeing the monsters come to life was coool.

~M~
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  10:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well heres the list of episodes which I have, I think Im only missing a few.

Night of No Tomorrow
The Eye of the Beholder
The Hall of Bones
The Time Lost
Odyssey of the Twelfth Talisman
Beauty and the Bog Beast
The Box
P.R.E.S.T.O. Spells Disaster
City at the Edge of Midnight
The Dragons Graveyard
Day of the Dungeon Master
Cave of the Faerie Dragon
The Lost Children

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  15:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we talking about the cartoon with the kids that went for a ride in a fun fair attraction and got sucked into another world?
And this little guy that calls himself Dungeon master guides them trough different adventures in which the main cause is for the kids to get back home? That cartoon? Or are we talking about something much older?

If Rad has a lot of the episodes he should be able to answer Arion's question, about where the cartoon took place. For, even if I'm talking about the correct cartoon, I would not know the answer to that question.

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter
Go to Top of Page

Merrzeran
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  15:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Merrzeran's Homepage Send Merrzeran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup thats the one we're talking about. I dont believe there was one older then that. Off of that list; The Dragons Graveyard was a cool episode.

~M~

Edited by - Merrzeran on 26 Oct 2002 15:41:37
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  16:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, they still broadcast that in Holland I saw an episode five weeks ago or something like that.
I really like them. I don't think I've seen them all though.

(Hehe, and I was afraid I was too young to know about them )

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  17:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cartoon is certainly not set in Faerun and isnt either set in any published D&D campaign setting. There are few locations mentioned by name other than villages which arent featured anywhere other than the cartoon. I guess it was just in its own setting.

Anyway, whats this about the Nintendo cartoons? Ive never heard of that before, tell me more...

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2002 :  01:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the compuyer game Shadows of Amn their pictures are upstairs in the main weapons shop. "small barbarian with a unicorn" is one of the inscriptions, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Salazar
Acolyte

Netherlands
12 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  09:13:52  Show Profile  Visit Salazar's Homepage Send Salazar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To Ditalidas:

I'm from Holland as well.
On what channel are or were the cartoons published...?
I suspect I missed them, and I hate that thought....

Salazar M.
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  14:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oef... ehm.... gee, I would not know from the top of my head. I'll see if I can refresh my memory, but I do not promise anything.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2002 :  21:04:42  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Does anyone remember where the old D&D cartoon took place? ....I don't think it was Faerun............

All the info needed can be found at the following sites:

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/2599/
http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/carmelita/174/dnd.html

Both sites have guides for all 27 episodes and pictures and stats for the characters.

You'd also be pleasantly surprised at what a search on Kazaa can turn up. I found all of the episodes there earlier this year, downloaded them and converted them to Video CD. Ahhh, the memories
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  00:36:54  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I remember watching a few of those. In fact, I rember seeing one not too long ago. It seemed pretty interesting, but I never really sat down and watched one.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  06:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So...if anyone has copies of said episodes, can anyone please tell me WHERE it took place, i.e., the name of the land they were trapped in?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  13:28:42  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So...if anyone has copies of said episodes, can anyone please tell me WHERE it took place, i.e., the name of the land they were trapped in?

I can't remember the land being called by a name. It was simply an alternative world attached to the fairground ride. If anything, it would have been referred to as Dungeons and Dragons Land as that was the name of the ride in the fairground.

Edited by - kahonen on 23 Dec 2002 13:30:53
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  13:37:09  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The introduction page for the second link in my post above says:

Introduction

The Dungeons & Dragons Cartoon was based on the popular Dungeons & Dragons RPG. It was created and produced by the makers of the game, TSR Inc. and the Marvel Comics Group. Aired between 1983 and 1985 on NBC, it is THE best cartoon ever made (in my humble opinion).

The Premise

6 kids, bewteen the approximate ages of 10 and 17, go through a "Dungeons & Dragons Ride" at an amusement park and end up getting zapped into "The Realm" of Dungeons & Dragons. They travel the realm trying to find a portal home all the while doing good deeds for others.

It seems it didn't have a specific name unless it was simply "The Realm"
Go to Top of Page

Exilion
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  14:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Exilion's Homepage Send Exilion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I must be really sad. I haven't even seen an episode of those cartoons.

Bring forth power unto my reign
Go to Top of Page

realm_123
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2003 :  22:30:40  Show Profile  Visit realm_123's Homepage Send realm_123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have all the old classic dungeons and dragons episodes so give me a mail if anybody is interested on having them! They are good quaility and even have the beginning and ends on each episode Cant do better than that huh?
email me on realm_123@hotmail.com and we will sort something out!

GAZZ
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2003 :  13:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, two things:

quote:
Is it just nostalgia, or were non-anime cartoons better back then?

Sometimes I think so. Of course, the only two animes I've ever liked were Cardcapters and the Yu-Gi-Oh! series. Still, when you watch stuff like the WB's replays of Scooby Doo -- doesn't that make you feel eight again? (Or whichever age.)

I've seen some of Dungeons & Dragons, back when Fox decided to risk some reruns. I was immediately struck by the difference of style between the eighties and nineties. Part of it is because of Japanese influence, mixed with diference cartoon/comic styles that the newer artists were working with. Another was the animation itself; computers were being used ever more to make both duplication and transition smoother.

But it's the writing that really makes the diference, and shows why Fox pulled the reruns within a few weeks. Namely, there was nothing wrong with it; it was just catering to a bunch of kids from the wrong decade. The explosions weren't big enough, the humor wasn't "potty" enough. Computer games were more interesting. Kids needed something flashier.

That, I believe, is what you were sensing. You remembered a time when a show was a show, and didn't have to be flashy. It's hard to put into words, of course, it being more feeling than fact. And some cartoons today work well. But I miss certain ones, just like you.

quote:
The Premise

6 kids, bewteen the approximate ages of 10 and 17, go through a "Dungeons & Dragons Ride" at an amusement park and end up getting zapped into "The Realm" of Dungeons & Dragons. They travel the realm trying to find a portal home all the while doing good deeds for others.

You forgot to mention the most important part: their items!

The Archer: What appeared to be an unstrung bow, until he mad as if to draw it; then a bowstring of magical energy appeared, and fired an arrow of the same.

The Acrobat: A staff that could shrink to nothingness or expand to be a lance (or a vaulting pole, most often).

The Wizard: A magical hat, used for summoning.

The Barbarian: A club that could set off small, local earthquakes.

The Thief: A cloak of invisibility.

The Warrior: An impenetrable shield.

(I can't remember the titles of those last two, so I just threw them in.)

Ah, but I miss stuff like this . . . .

If I may quote from an article on Yesterdayland.com:

Dungeons & Dragons became the target of The National Coalition in Television Violence, who claimed that the cartoon contained 65 acts of violence per hour. In response, kids across America said, "Well, duh." The very appeal of the show came from the fact that it was darker, more dangerous, and yes, more violent than the rest of Saturday morning. Kids continued to tune in, and CBS continued to air the show for several years. Harry Potter mania helped get the series back on Saturday morning on Fox Kids in 2000, but alas, no new episodes were produced.

Who's up for a remake? Do you think it's possible? Or would any imitator be worse than nothing at all?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000