Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  17:32:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks for the responses, yet again. I would imagine they get quite a bit of info from the Harpers in that regard (since Harpers travel EVERYWHERE), which explains their past connections. Is Candlekeep in any way affiliated with them as well? I am thinking that all 'centers of Knowledge & Learning' (groups that keep large libraries and excellent records) would have some sort of understanding with each other, or is it more of a competitive thing?

@THO - {In best Beavis & Butthead voice} heh heh... heh heh...

She said 'humming' and ask for punishment in the same sentence.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  18:30:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I did, didn't I?
How . . . unaccidental.
(And yes, the Harpers have always been a source of information for the High Heralds, and continue to be, though for the last century-and-a-bit it's been "unofficial" rather than formal, as it once was.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  19:58:17  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Sorry, sfdragon, but the Tyr lore is indeed NDA (as is just about anything specific about how things will be in the "New Realms"). Ed can tell you this much: that what you ask has been decided.
Similarly, Ed conveys his regrets to The Masked Mage: The Sword Heralds are NDA for a different reason. Hopefully to be swept away one day, when many secrets are dramatically revealed.
love to all,
THO

OH NO - the dreaded NDA stamp of doom!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  21:08:46  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hello Ed and Tho (and SES if he is reading this)

There is a lot of Manshoon discussion at the mo going on in other threads and I have just one question please.

On the cover of Cloak and Dagger we see what looks like three of the Manshoon clones being viewed in crystal balls with an older looking wizard scrying them.

Is the older wizard the real Manshoon in his extra-dimensional hidey-hole watching the unfurling chaos of the clone wars?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 24 Feb 2013 00:02:41
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  22:18:54  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Once again, apologies if this has been answered before, but a quick search yields no results having these two words in the same post.

Is it a coincidence that Uloushinn and Ulutiun are so close in likely pronunciation... and the cultures they apply to seem to have absolutely no links to one another?

What am I missing? Is there a backstage explanation?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  00:30:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
QUESTION: I just noticed that on the original 1e/OGB maps the Greypeaks are called the Nether Mountains. Was this an error, your original naming conventions, or something else entirely?

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

OH NO - the dreaded NDA stamp of doom!
I believe the N'Da are a hitherto unclassified form of fiend, related to such emotion-draining creatures as fear lords (amongst others).

Once you encounter one of these, you are filled with a pervasive sense of dread, as if you forgot something and you can't quite seem to recall what it was you forgot. Continued exposure to a N'Da will eventually result in insanity, as the "thing that slipped your mind" causes severe paranoia and depression, and eventually death.

It is widely believed that the N'da were first summoned to the Prime Material by the Wizards that dwell upon the Coast (a fearsome bunch indeed), but records from much earlier civilization - like the Tszars of Deandy - indicate that these creatures predate the Prime Material Plane itself, and have been plaguing mortals since the signing of the first infernal contract.

Occasionally they can be found in the company of lesser fiends known as 'Gag Auders' (a demon capable of making a person literally vomit information from their minds). Those beings create the exact environment - a state of perpetual forgetfulness - that the N'Da thrive in.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Feb 2013 22:07:43
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  22:59:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Hello Ed and Tho (and SES if he is reading this)

Is the older wizard the real Manshoon in his extra-dimensional hidey-hole watching the unfurling chaos of the clone wars?

I am neither of the worthies you asked for help on this one, but I can tell you that the "older wizard" is Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun.

The original cover mock-up, which I link to below, makes that clearer:

http://book-covers.lucywho.com/forgotten-realms-nobles-book-covers-t2578487.html

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  07:15:51  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
I am neither of the worthies you asked for help on this one, but I can tell you that the "older wizard" is Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun.

Thanks George for the update and the other cover, something I have never seen before

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  07:33:43  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:

If a king hates a particular noble, that noble can be exiled and stripped of their lands and titles in a kingdom, but in exile can still style themselves as noble and use their blazons (in fact, should they invade the kingdom and try to overthrow the king, the heralds would expect them to openly use their rightful blazons, not try trickery such as using the blazons of others).
So if I’m reading this right, should the Bleths and Merendils formerly of Cormyr ever get around to raising an army and sailing out of parts south on the Dragonmere to lay siege to Suzail, the Heralds would expect to see the arms of those two houses prominently displayed and at the fore, as opposed to members of these families hiding behind the logos or arms or whatever of all the mercenary companies employed in the siege?

And should an individual who has proven to the Heralds satisfaction that they’re of the (extinct, if I recall correctly) Sarlival noble family, he or she could join in this invasion with the Sarlival arms showing?

Ha! All this Herald stuff has become interesting to me, now that I can see the potential for stylish mayhem and vengeance.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  08:10:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:

If a king hates a particular noble, that noble can be exiled and stripped of their lands and titles in a kingdom, but in exile can still style themselves as noble and use their blazons (in fact, should they invade the kingdom and try to overthrow the king, the heralds would expect them to openly use their rightful blazons, not try trickery such as using the blazons of others).
So if I’m reading this right, should the Bleths and Merendils formerly of Cormyr ever get around to raising an army and sailing out of parts south on the Dragonmere to lay siege to Suzail, the Heralds would expect to see the arms of those two houses prominently displayed and at the fore, as opposed to members of these families hiding behind the logos or arms or whatever of all the mercenary companies employed in the siege?

And should an individual who has proven to the Heralds satisfaction that they’re of the (extinct, if I recall correctly) Sarlival noble family, he or she could join in this invasion with the Sarlival arms showing?

Ha! All this Herald stuff has become interesting to me, now that I can see the potential for stylish mayhem and vengeance.

It might be me, but I'd think once they get to the point of invading a kingdom to take over, the authority of the Heralds would be of little concern.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  14:04:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
"I'm sorry Szass Tam, but that Hobgoblin legion is wearing slightly incorrect unit patches - the Griffon is clearly Rampant, when its attitude should be Rampant Guardant. Please go back and make all the proper corrections to the insignia".

"Darn it... and I so wanted to be sipping tea out of the Simbul's skull by nightfall. Bummer."

Question: Another thread inspired me to think about Mythals - were there any Spellfire users involved in raising Myth Drannor's Mythal? How about other Mythals?

Go to Top of Page

Darian
Acolyte

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  19:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Darian's Homepage Send Darian a Private Message
This is my first post and my first question for Ed. I hope the question was not already asked :)
It's about paladins, my favourite class.

Question: Are there any special rituals after the novice has been accepted? Maybe something like a knighting ceremony. And what are - for example - the differences between a Torm ceremony and a Helm ceremony.

And please: We need more "Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms" - Books ;-)

Edited by - Darian on 25 Feb 2013 19:37:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  21:26:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Not sure if I've asked this one, or not... And this is one I'm thinking our lovely Lady Hooded One would be able to answer:

What is five o'clock shadow called, in the Realms?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  01:19:20  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Herewith, Ed responds to HunterOfStorms:

... snipped for space ...

So saith Ed, who loves heraldry (the heraldry of the Realms by and large follows the practices of real-world British heraldry, though some regions in the Realms allow “metals on metals” and “colors on colors” and non-gender-specific shields (rather than lozenges) that the real-life College of Arms would deny.
love,
THO

Thanks THO and Ed for such a swift reply. These details clarify things nicely and mesh well with how we've generally been dealing with personal and official arms/badges/banners and what have you. I find I'm rather rusty on my limited knowledge of heraldry.

Although I do now have to wonder how much trouble I can rustle up for interplanar/alternate reality travelling characters <heh heh> who may unwittingly bear duplicate blazons.

Hunter
... off to scribble more notes
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  02:18:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Question: Another thread inspired me to think about Mythals - were there any Spellfire users involved in raising Myth Drannor's Mythal? How about other Mythals?

Not surprisingly, a query from Markus has raised one of my own:-

Thusly, Ed, have there been any documented accounts of what interactive effect spellfire may have had with a mythal?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  04:22:13  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, I earlier read a scroll on the Nether Scrolls.
1. Can the Scrolls be read in such a way that they would not cause the mage to "overload" and go bonkers without any divine aid?
2. Can there be a third set made out of copper and hidden somewhere across the planes or possibly on Toril?
3. If one set(50 scrolls) made out of gold the other half platinum, are both sets the same, with the only difference is the metal? Are both needed or one set can suffice?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  08:05:13  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
I've come up with another question for you, this one is in regard to elven mantle stones, or "thaelkiira" as they were named by George Krashos. This is the thread I've got going on the topic:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17590

In your article 'The Magic Of Myth Drannor' you state: "many mantles could call on the powers of magical items borne by their wearer, or spells memorized by them. The Coronal's mantle could even tap into the power of his thrones (the Living Seat on the Isle of Estel and the Throne of the Coronal in the Chamber of the Court) and certain other sources of ancient power in the realm, such as the Vault of Ages, if these were nearby."

Here is my question on this topic for you: How does this work? Could you go into further details about this process?
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  13:54:40  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
This is a question I know has been asked somewhere, but I will ask it again considering the major changes coming to the Realms and the news that Ed Greenwood has a lot more say in what goes on with the Realms for now.

Will we ever learn of the lands beyond Faerun? Other than the rather extremely outdated 2nd Edition material on those places. My years are not getting any younger and I feel as if the day will never come when we would finally begin receiving an occasional streaming of happenings, places, people, creatures, sites and other things in realms such as Kara-Tur, Zhakara, etc.

If these are areas never to be discussed other than in passings, why should they even continue to exist? If these are places that have no real influence in Faerun, as is seemingly the case (excluding the somewhat let's-humor-the-fans passings of Kara-Tur's influence on the Unapproachable East, particularly Thesk) then why bother keeping them in the world of Toril? In other words, I feel as if the "world" of Toril is really just the "World of Faerun" at this point. If the Sundering were to rid us of these places and just leave Faerun as the be-all of Toril, I say all the better. Terrible to lose fantasy settings like the Orient, Arabian/Persian, and Aztec/Mayan/Native American cultures but better than the nigh-complete neglect it has been receiving. Otherwise, what is truly preventing more lore from these places? Is there NDA concerning these areas?

In the real world, events, people, politics, etc. have been affected not just domestically but internationally. Even in much older times and eras before our modern-day era. I don't get the same feeling at all when it comes to Faerun and the other continents, save for a tiny bit concerning Kara-Tur.

A suggestion would be to have a somewhat separate accounting of the lands beyond every now and then, pooled together in, say, a Dragon article or maybe even its own book at some point. Novels set in those areas would also be a huge benefit.

I am aware that there is still almost infinitely much more to learn and discover in Faerun, but I do not believe it should come at the entire expense of the rest of the world of Toril.

Is there any hope of receiving more attention to these other lands sometime in the near future? (a lot of questions in one message, I do apologize, it just happened one question had led to another follow-up as I was typing away).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  18:33:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Wooly, five o'clock shadow is known by several words and terms around the Realms, but in the Heartlands, "bluechin" is the most popular one. "Sarth" (which actually means "stubble," and also applies to fields of crops in a post-harvest but pre-ploughed condition) is the most common older and politer term.
(This comes straight from notes I made from play with Ed.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  18:36:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Razz, you make very good points, but it would be wrong to assume Ed has any great say in what areas get covered in forthcoming Realms products. Ed has wanted to cover more of the geogrpahy of the Realms in detailed sourcebooks for DECADES (and still does).

Darian, there are indeed special "anointing" ceremonies, which Ed will say more about when he can.
He has asked for the opportunity to write more sourcebooks like "Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Guide To The Realms," but nothing has been planned thus far, so far as I know. (As you might guess, Ed could easily fill dozens of books that size with play-useful lore.)

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  20:07:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Wooly, five o'clock shadow is known by several words and terms around the Realms, but in the Heartlands, "bluechin" is the most popular one. "Sarth" (which actually means "stubble," and also applies to fields of crops in a post-harvest but pre-ploughed condition) is the most common older and politer term.
(This comes straight from notes I made from play with Ed.)
love,
THO

Thank you for the quick response, my Lady.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  21:18:22  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Has anyone used magic to make a dimensionally transcendent/Bigger on the Inside/Smaller on the Outside moving vehicle (ie. A cart, a ship, a skyship), like the TARDIS from Doctor Who, in the realms?

If so, how common would the practice/idea be in the realms or certain areas of the realms?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 26 Feb 2013 21:19:02
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  02:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
Foxhelm, I thought I had read about something or the other related to the Imaskari that is like what you are looking for but I can't recall exactly what it was or where I came across it. I could be mistaken though.

Sidetracking aside, I do have a question for Ed and/or THO. A while ago I played the third expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2. It involved Zehir arising as a god for the Yuan Ti and in the final conflict your character has to fight a Yuan Ti that has been crossbred with a Marilith (giving it extra arms). It's been a while but I got the impression that this thing was bred as some type of enforcer/zealot for Zehir.

So my questions are this, is this a unique or near unique situation among the gods? Or have other gods done something like this in the past (or still do it)? If others have done something like this, can you tell us anything about it?

I mainly read the novels and haven't seen anything to indicate this is the case and this creature didn't come across as some type of chosen. This is a "helping better understand the Realms question" and not so much an RPG question.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  02:41:14  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
IIRC, that creature in the final boss battle was a sort of avatar of Zehir.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  02:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

IIRC, that creature in the final boss battle was a sort of avatar of Zehir.

That could be but I didn't get that impression. Right after you defeat it you talk to Zehir. And if it was, then I have another question. Do the gods breed potential avatars?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  03:18:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Has anyone used magic to make a dimensionally transcendent/Bigger on the Inside/Smaller on the Outside moving vehicle (ie. A cart, a ship, a skyship), like the TARDIS from Doctor Who, in the realms?

If so, how common would the practice/idea be in the realms or certain areas of the realms?

Just a note... I've a very similarly-themed query already in the queue for Ed. 'Twas based on my alternative thinking about how Elminster's Hideout might actually relate to the concept of transcendental dimensions.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  04:13:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Foxhelm and Sage, I just got this reply from Ed:

It's been tried many times, in many different ways, but aside from SMALL dimensional warpings (think: Bag of Holding, or the space at the top of a Rope Trick spell), the problem with tesseracts and other "bigger inside than out" magics is that they tend to be unstable in the presence of the Weave.
That is, they don't last long, or even collapse (spilling anyone and anything inside them into random dimensional destinations), unless bolstered by wards or mythal-like webs of multiple wards (which have to be adjusted and augmented fairly often).
So it can be done, but longterm successes are always going to be limited to wielders of magic who have power, skill, and time to spare for the upkeep of such creations.

So saith Ed. Who is busy doing multiple things at once right now. As usual.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Darian
Acolyte

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  08:33:51  Show Profile  Visit Darian's Homepage Send Darian a Private Message
quote:
Darian, there are indeed special "anointing" ceremonies, which Ed will say more about when he can.
He has asked for the opportunity to write more sourcebooks like "Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Guide To The Realms," but nothing has been planned thus far, so far as I know. (As you might guess, Ed could easily fill dozens of books that size with play-useful lore.)

love to all,
THO

Thank you! I would be glad to hear more about the "anointing" ceremonies :-]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  13:15:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Tulrun's Tent.

Pg.60, The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier
Pg. 9, Silver Marches

There is probably an entry for it in The Savage North and Volo's Guide to The North as well.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  19:47:40  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Tulrun's Tent

As he has been mentioned, any chance we could have some lore on Tulrun - what is favourite drink is? what spell did he enjoy creating the most? what spell he enjoyed casting the most? was he involed in any mythal making? you know the simple stuff

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000