Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Are there Druids of the Elemental Deities?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  04:20:00  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I took notice of what nature patrons Druids can have in the Realms. Strangely, not one of the elemental deities were on that list.

Are there no druid worshippers of Akadi, Grumbar, Istishia, and Kossuth?

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  05:45:15  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. I double checked Faiths and Avatars, which is the gold standard for deities (and which Faiths and Pantheons mostly upheld) and none of the elemental four had druids as part of the clergy. I don't think any reason is given; if I had to make one up, I'd say that they're too focused on their own particular part of nature to sponsor druids, which have a more holistic view.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  11:53:21  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I believe this is an omission. I think there was a Drd of Grumbar somewhere in the official materials for 3e.... a web enhancement?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  20:19:46  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Zirael. They should have druids in my opinion even if it isn't listed in one of the books.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  23:44:17  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This link shows the existence of 4 druids that focus on one element each as their primary element. No statements on their patron deities, however.

https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20010810a
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  02:55:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're not quite druids, but I recall Sea of Fallen Stars noting that some of the humans and halflings of the island of Kelthann worship Grumbar -- believing their collective faith is the only thing keeping their islands, and in fact, all other islands, above the sea.

That's a very druidic point of view, and I would suspect that a number of lay-worshippers have in fact forged the beginnings of a druidic-based faith for Grumbar on Kelthann.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  03:25:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In some ways it strikes me that Druids focus more on nature and balance as a whole and that to select one element power over another is not balance. Druids use wind, water, fire and earth as the needs of balance require.

The powers oppose each other thus would make a poor, IMO, not for Druids to have as nature patron.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  07:01:39  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my Realms, many, many more Powers sponsor Druids than are specified in the ruleset; it has always made sense to me that certain portfolios are either suited to druidical followers, or at least leave the possibility open. A good example would be Dumathoin of the Morndinsamman; his portfolio is 'the Earth's riches' as well as being the dwarven death god and a keeper of secrets... In other words, perfect for Druids. I actually assume that all the Death Gods would be good candidates for at least a few Druid followers.

So, to answer your question, yes, the Elemental Lords should be served by a fair number of Druids, IMO.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
569 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  16:56:40  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget, two sourcebooks make reference to unusual druids in the Realms. In Faiths & Pantheons, Elemental Archons may have previously been druids with a skewed view of natural balance & be exiled from their circle. In the Monster Manual IV entry for the C'raag'horn Giant (sp?), it says said giant in Faerūn was likely created by druids of Gond.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  20:18:30  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Well, I believe this is an omission. I think there was a Drd of Grumbar somewhere in the official materials for 3e.... a web enhancement?

The Tree Stalker from Silver Marches. Additionally I recall a web enhancement with 4 epic elemental druids, one of them was a half red dragon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  01:25:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't remember the exact source at the moment, but I've got SageBells ringing in my head with tones about druids of Kossuth mentioned somewhere.

Do any other scribes remember something about this?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  07:03:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do remember some sort of discussion, but I don't recall how much of it was based on canon. It was along the lines of 'purging fire to cleanse the sick fauna and dead flora' from regions. It was a real 'cycle of life' type of druid (and probably not very popular amongst other kinds of druids).

Volcanoes need love too.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  04:32:57  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I figured it made sense. When I read the FRCS book and took a look at the Druid section, they placed a list of nature patron deities for Druids and those 4 were not one of them. I thought it strange at first but now it makes sense that it was an oversight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000