Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Valas Hune
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  04:41:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Along with Phaeraun and Ryld in WotSQ, Valas was one of my favorite characters, and I liked when he made a "guest star" appearance in the Drizzt books. But I have a question I've wondered about since reading WotSQ (which I read when I was 17, and I'm 23 now, so it's been awhile): what is his faith? In WotSQ, he has a pendant of Lebalas Enorath, so does he secretly follow this elf god? I highly doubt he was a Lolthite. Maybe he doesn't have a specific deity he follows--though he might make a good Vhaeraunite--but it has me curious.

Sweet water and light laughter

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  17:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a great question, CD. To my knowledge, Valas's religious devotion has never been directly revealed. The pendant suggests veneration of Labelas, but that could be a blind--he might just wear the pendant for its magical benefits.

If I had to guess, I'd peg Valas as "non-denominational," meaning he doesn't actively worship one god over another. He still has a patron deity--it's probably Lolth by default, but another deity could have claimed his soul. But it's not like he's actively chosen to follow the edicts of one god over another. He does his own thing.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  20:29:57  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Along with Phaeraun and Ryld in WotSQ, Valas was one of my favorite characters, and I liked when he made a "guest star" appearance in the Drizzt books. But I have a question I've wondered about since reading WotSQ (which I read when I was 17, and I'm 23 now, so it's been awhile): what is his faith? In WotSQ, he has a pendant of Lebalas Enorath, so does he secretly follow this elf god? I highly doubt he was a Lolthite. Maybe he doesn't have a specific deity he follows--though he might make a good Vhaeraunite--but it has me curious.

personally, I always wondered why the band Jarlaxle had was not a part of the Vhaeraun clergy, or at least a good part of it. A big part of being a worshiper of V included many of their activities. Would only make sense that a branch of them were Masked lord followers
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  00:01:13  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that they actually intentionally stay religiously neutral...more customers that way. :)
And Jaraxle is not really found of Lolth, or anyone else. He likes to play the middle against the end that way.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  01:00:17  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not entirely sure that Jarlaxle is religeously "neutral". He may be a closet Vaerhaunite, or at least Vaerhaun-friendly. I am certain that niether he nor Gromph is actually a Lolthite- there was a conversation between the two in one of the novels that seems to hint that both have other leanings. Gromph for certain hates her, and has even met with the "Spider Mage" who is a secret Vaerhaunite.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  02:53:44  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

The pendant suggests veneration of Labelas, but that could be a blind--he might just wear the pendant for its magical benefits.

I agree with this latter interp.

Dissolution said that he wore trinkets from all across the Underdark, and that they were ugly and uncouth. But none of the individual trinkets that were specifically described ever sounded all that ugly to me. I think what makes them appear ugly is that they are mixed together without an eye to matching or aesthetic complementarity, but are instead worn purely for their practical functionality. So they probably clash mightily, and when seen together, the overall effect is gaudy and ostentatious. Think Mr. T. But call him "Mr. V."

Extinction also said that Valas wore a golden sun necklace trinket that was made by the elves, which protects him from wraiths. So Valas does not appear to care one whit about the origin or identity of the creators of his gear.

And perhaps he does not care about their religion, either.

Maybe he is open to collecting gear from people of all faiths, since he is clearly open to all geographic regions. Think Nazis from the Indiana Jones movies.

All that matters for Valas is that it works.

Valas Hune: Whatever Works.™

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 20 Nov 2012 02:57:29
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  03:19:25  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bregan D'aerthe is definitly religiously neutral. Jaraxle, I still think it might be less devoted to anyone one deity.
And that, makes him much more "personable" for me. The not knowing for sure, and seeing the various possibilities on who he venerates. [:)
My V..that is so awesome.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  04:39:12  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is all great everyone . Thank you! Valas could well have been using the pendant for its magical abilities, but there was that scene where he kissed it and Phaeraun gave him the arched brow look, so it made me wonder. Valas never struck me as religious or one who worships a specific deity, but the pendant still had me curious.

I can understand Bregon D'earthe's neutrality on religion--it would kind of have to be--but I could also see them going Vhaeraunite

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  13:46:35  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But that might bring down unwanted repercussions especially in a city full of spider kissers. Its safer and more profitable for Bregan D'earthe to play all sides.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  23:09:35  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, at least on the SURFACE.... Remember, drow are all about wheels within wheels. Or in layman's terms, they're like onions (and apparently, ogres named Shrek). They have layers.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  23:56:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Valas? Meh. A forgettable character. The only thing I remember about him is his impossible ability to escape nearly all inescapable situations.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  02:18:26  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

And Jaraxle is not really found of Lolth[...].

Hehe, that's an understatement!
quote:
"And I have never bended knee for the spider bitch." --Jarlaxle (Road of the Patriarch, P3:C20)

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  02:36:33  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I KNEW there was a reason I liked him, LOL!!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000