Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Making Money from FR Adventures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yospeck
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  14:36:56  Show Profile Send Yospeck a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey folks (first post, but hope to become a regular).

I've started DMing an FR Campaign a couple of months ago, which was actually my first step into the D&D world at my players request after we completed a 3yr Star Wars: Saga Edition campaign. I love the FR setting and the D&D lore in general, and I'd like to see if I can make a little extra money on the side by selling adventures.

Now, I know the red tape that ties up WOTCs IP and the OGL stuff, but what I'm thinking of is using the adventures I make for my group, applying them directly to the FR setting and tidying them up for public consumption but distributing them for free on places like RPG Drive-Thru, etc.

Now where I'm hoping to make a little extra cash is from selling map packs specific to the adventure, high detail, printable, hand drawn illustrated maps (basic maps will be provided in the adventure so these ARE optional extras) but still linking it to my free adventure.

Whilst I'm not going to act solely off what anyone says, if anyone has experience in this and can give me a definitive "No, you couldn't do that" then it would help :P

Cheers
Yospeck

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  14:56:02  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you likely can not do this legally. You certainly can not provide free adventures with FR logo, or use any of the copyright or trade marked material related to D&D.

As to selling maps, this also could be a problem legally if you provide a map of Waterdeep, because Waterdeep is protected IP. A generalized map of an area not named might be legal, if it is not labeled as a FR map.

The production of anything for the FR line without permission of WotC is a theft of IP, it does not matter if you give it away or sell it. Providing either reduces the ability of WotC to sell its own products.

WotC generally has not acted on all fan based material used locally, it almost certainly would act if you sold FR material.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 18 Nov 2012 14:56:41
Go to Top of Page

Yospeck
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  15:08:56  Show Profile Send Yospeck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Haven't some people from here made entire Campaigns for FR? I was looking at some stuff on Impiltur and came across the "Northern Journey", which was a fan written unofficial adventure made for non-commercial purposes.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  19:08:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yospeck

Interesting. Haven't some people from here made entire Campaigns for FR? I was looking at some stuff on Impiltur and came across the "Northern Journey", which was a fan written unofficial adventure made for non-commercial purposes.

The free stuff isn't the issue as much as the selling stuff part is. WotC once shut down a character sheet website not for having the custom-made sheets, but because the guy asked for money to store in-use character sheets on his site. From what I understand, his costs were just to defray the storage price, but that was enough for WotC to come down on him like a ton of bricks.

There was a lot of commotion on the interweb when this happened, with most people taking the "he wasn't making a profit, so WotC is evil!" stance. Even though it's well-known that I'm more than ready to criticize WotC when I think they've done wrong, I still had to disagree with the general consensus on that one -- he was asking for money for something based on their IP.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Yospeck
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  17:55:33  Show Profile Send Yospeck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose when there's legal grey with stuff like this WOTC are going to be able to out lawyer anyone anyway :D Think I might just make all my adventures system/setting neutral then and steer clear of any WOTC content period. Thanks for the responses guys.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  01:51:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sarbreener group based in the UK had much the same problem, and they actually HAD permission to use the IP ('had' being the operative term). They were one of those 'living' campaigns, until that project was officially canceled.

They continued to use the IP for some time, producing quite a lot of material for it, but when they started doing non-profit 'fund-raisers' for charity the axe dropped. Even though the point wasn't profit, they were still collecting money based on things they were doing with property they did not own, nor any longer have permission to use.

And as much as I feel for the guys (who were just trying to do 'good deeds'), the point is that a company HAS TO defend its intellectual properties, or those properties fall into the public domain, which means they no longer have control of material they created. Morality has nothing to do with it - they have to do what they have to do because thats how the system works.

If you do not ask for money, you fall into a 'grey area'. You are still not legally allowed to use their property without their permission, but they can pretend to 'look the other way'. Its the 'making money' part that the line gets drawn.

Which is why none of the fan-fic maps I create are available as purchasable prints, even though many people have requested I 'allow' that feature. The moment I do that, I'm dead meat, and rightly so. Everything I use is their property, and I know it, and I usually remember to put that down somewhere on any finished (non-WIPs) I do. I should just put a big disclaimer right on my DeviantART page (thanks for making me realize I could be doing more to cover my arse and theirs).

What you'd be attempting is a bit of side-stepping of this problem, buts it's an obvious ploy, and they'd have to do something about it. That's just how it is.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2012 01:54:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000