Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Good 4e novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  05:22:10  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Many people--myself included--have issues with 4e, and that it isn't as Realmsy anymore. Nevertheless, I feel some good novels came out of it. Name seven series/and or stand alone novels that took place post-Spellplague that you thought were good.

Note: some series, such as Empyrean Odyssey and Haunted Lands began before the Spellplague, but later books in the series did. This would count as individual books then.

(In no particular order)

Blades of the Moonsea
Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep
Shadowbane
Abolethic Sovereignty
Brotherhood of the Griffin
Unbroken Chain (really hope this series gets continued)
Brimstone Angels

Sweet water and light laughter

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  05:50:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Brotherhood of the Griffon. Though I had problems with Books 2 and 3 because of the glaring presence of dragonborn.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  08:07:57  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gauntlgrym by RA Salvatore, it was a fitting send off for a lot of beloved characters.
The Twilight War ,simply amazing
The Brotherhood of the Griffion , a very enjoyable series.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  09:52:29  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Gauntlgrym by RA Salvatore, it was a fitting send off for a lot of beloved characters.

The twilight war was 3e pre-spellplague except for the epilogue of the final book
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  10:08:01  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

The twilight war was 3e pre-spellplague except for the epilogue of the final book

Well yeah, but it was an event that had major consequences in the post spellplague era and so it was certainly connected and I feel it was written more in the darker style characteristic of most of the 4e books. I consider it to be like those transitions books by Salvatore.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  20:43:44  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well yeah, but it was an event that had major consequences in the post spellplague era and so it was certainly connected and I feel it was written more in the darker style characteristic of most of the 4e books. I consider it to be like those transitions books by Salvatore.

Well, I felt they were 3e books that were setting the stage for 4e books :)
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  03:37:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't include Twilight Wars because it was only the epilogue that was post-Spellplague.
Gauntlgrym...eh, I won't go there >.>

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  08:23:10  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Each to his own.
And you lady Devout are obviously not a Drizzt fan
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  13:26:08  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Blades of the Moonsea
Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep
Shadowbane
Abolethic Sovereignty
Brotherhood of the Griffin
Unbroken Chain (really hope this series gets continued)
Brimstone Angels

I haven't read Unbroken Chain yet and I didn't like the Abolethic Sovereignty books that much. You also pretty much covered almost all 4E book series.

But other 4E series that I liked:

- Neverwinter books
- Sage of Shadowdale (can't believe these aren't on your list)
- Empyrean Odyssey
- Chosen of Nendarwen (didn't like that some stuff was unresolved and at the moment it doesn't look like we'll be getting more books for a while though).

Not really series but some 4E stand alone books that I liked:

- Venom in her Veins (I really liked this one).
- The Gilded Rune.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  15:47:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Twilight War is more of a transitions series of 3E to 4E.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  05:43:46  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Each to his own.

Actually, I am a Drizzt fan. The Drizzt books are what got me started on the Realms. But I haven't really enjoyed the past four books, precisely because I'm a Drizzt fan. I still read them, but they've lost their flare, IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  14:08:10  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Each to his own.

Actually, I am a Drizzt fan. The Drizzt books are what got me started on the Realms. But I haven't really enjoyed the past four books, precisely because I'm a Drizzt fan. I still read them, but they've lost their flare, IMO.

I see it as RA going in a different direction. One that is more dark less, black and white and I am curious to see how Drizzts personality changes to adapt to this future.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  14:16:48  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Each to his own.

I see it as RA going in a different direction. One that is more dark less, black and white and I am curious to see how Drizzts personality changes to adapt to this future.

I was enjoying his personality change in gauntlgrym. With Drizzt cutting that woman's lungs out and smiling and all. Even jarlaxle was appalled.

Entreri likewise seemed more "compassionate" when we first saw him.

Sadly, once the two got together, it reverted to the same old good guy, bad guy
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  16:34:36  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was enjoying his personality change in gauntlgrym. With Drizzt cutting that woman's lungs out and smiling and all. Even jarlaxle was appalled.

Entreri likewise seemed more "compassionate" when we first saw him.

Sadly, once the two got together, it reverted to the same old good guy, bad guy

To be fair, I think it was more Drizzt that reverted back than Entreri. I think even Drizzt mentions that he was going in a bad direction.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000