Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Underdark "Time Clocks"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  03:10:32  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone designed interesting ways of telling time with the other underdark races like Svirfneblin or Duergar? I always thought duergar should have something tied to the forge or smithy. Some sort of complex mechanical contraption that probably originated in use for forgework. I'm not sure about deep gnomes, but maybe something to do with a liquid stone water clock or maybe rotating gems, the time based upon the facets of the gem. This is all concept stuff at the moment for sure, but figured I'd see what else we could come up with.

Other races are cool for ideas too. Mindflayers or Kuo-Toa anyone? Wizards latest article where they talked about halflings and tying their lifestyles into nature got me thinking about this again and races being different, one would think they'd have their own ways of doing certain things.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  01:51:04  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that light-crystal idea sounds similar to the mirror trick used in Legend, as well. That's the really OLD Tom Cruise movie with the "demon", the unicorns, and that size-changing fairy and the dwarves(gnomes?) and elf boy. Anyone remember that? They used gold plates as mirrors to shine light down the shaft of the Lord of Darkness's lair to disrupt the ritual when Lily was supposed to be killing the second unicorn. Maybe the crystal idea came from there?

Hmm, I like a giant water-clock, too, especially sincethere is so much water dripping in the Underdark. Perhaps some races have learned how to measure the time between the drops, or devised a means of capturing water and then releasing a little at a time at certain intervals. I'm thinking something like the little drinking-bird on the cup toy, but modified. That certainly seems like a gnomish idea!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000