Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Underdark "Time Clocks"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  19:06:22  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone,

So I been trying to figure out how the general populace of my drow city figures out time on a daily basis. I didn't really want to rip off Menzoberranzan's Narbondel, though I suppose it's possible that is a common way for cities to tell time too.

So here's what I been thinking: According to wikipedia, some spiders consume their web in the evening, rest for about an hour, then build another web. They do this every day.

I was thinking I'd have spiders (hundreds of them) living on the cavern ceiling who would spin their webs this way, except their spider webs would glow a bluish white or maybe a greenish color. I was thinking something along the lines of the Vault of the Drow where there's small "star" nodes, except they're made of glowing webs.

These would begin to dim and go out in early evening as the spiders ate their webs and then begin to glow again by early morning as the spiders completed their new webs for the day.

So what does everyone think? Am I crazy? Does it work? Anyone use unique things to keep track of time in the underdark in their own campaigns?

Edit: It occurred to me that having so many spiders on the ceiling, there could be "rain" every day. I'm picturing dried out cocoon husks that glow, dropping from the ceiling as the spiders toss out their "trash"

Edited by - Eilserus on 03 Nov 2012 19:09:26

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  19:19:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, that's an amazingly cool concept.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  19:32:44  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's very cool. Though I figure the spiders wouldn't do that in a night and day cycle if they couldn't determine night and day somehow, and since they're miles underground with no way to tell, they'll be as confused as the poor drow about it.

But of course, there's no need to tell day from night in the Underdark. You can create a kind of spider that simply builds and eats its webs at regular intervals, and that will be a good way of measuring time. Especially if those spiders are particularly quick about it (so you can tell a minute has passed from the glow and ebb of the webs). Or better yet, you'd have "minute" spiders and "hour" spiders for smaller and larger periods of time.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 03 Nov 2012 19:33:48
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  19:41:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are special star spiders, that have an innate ability to detect the time of day in the world above.

In a world with 100-ton flying, talking (fire-breathing!) reptiles, I have no problem with spiders that can tell time.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  19:42:38  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another apparently common method of time-telling- hourly gong-ringing in the temples, perhaps amplified to be heard throughout the city. Of course, one could also use some sort of magical "stars" that brighten and dim over time on the ceiling (like day to night), thus allowing inhabitants to simply look up to tell the time, one could even use magical sundials that follow the sun's shadow on the surface through some sort of miniature "sun" rising and setting over them. I've used the gong and sundials myself, though your spider-web idea is really cool, too!

However, I might point out that spiders do not do this at any set time, and the amount of time it takes to consume and rebuild may vary widely by species. That could get confusing if there are multiple species living there, since different species build webs of varying complexity and size. One type may start much earlier than others, and/or finish later, so time-keeping might not be especially accurate. Also, you might need to consider how the spiders themselves would know when to do this without any external means of knowing the time of day. (No difference in light underground, so they might only do so when it becomes too tattered...)

Perhaps you could go a step further and make the spiders themselves the time-keeping device, by having them glow brighter or dimmer as the day progresses! Many underground creatures use bioluminescence to attract mates, find food, or recognize their own kind, or even to deter predators by suddenly flashing a warning light, so perhaps the drow of your city could have bred them to glow at certain intervals or the like. This would obviously be more useful with giant spider varieties, but perhaps this bioluminescence could also be the source of the glowing webs.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  19:55:52  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

They are special star spiders, that have an innate ability to detect the time of day in the world above.

In a world with 100-ton flying, talking (fire-breathing!) reptiles, I have no problem with spiders that can tell time.

Well, that's true. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I just think it's cooler the way I described. I find it that generally the less I have to invoke new magic to explain stuff, the happier I am with it. Though sometimes the new magic is so cool that it would be a shame not to include it. It's just a matter of preference.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  20:08:05  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the spiders idea.

Standard gongs or bells could be used, too.

And why not invent a spell that would let mages or cleric measure time?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  20:11:50  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mapolq

That's very cool. Though I figure the spiders wouldn't do that in a night and day cycle if they couldn't determine night and day somehow, and since they're miles underground with no way to tell, they'll be as confused as the poor drow about it.

But of course, there's no need to tell day from night in the Underdark. You can create a kind of spider that simply builds and eats its webs at regular intervals, and that will be a good way of measuring time. Especially if those spiders are particularly quick about it (so you can tell a minute has passed from the glow and ebb of the webs). Or better yet, you'd have "minute" spiders and "hour" spiders for smaller and larger periods of time.

I wasn't too worried about being able to tell exact surface day and night times. Times most likely wouldn't match surface ones and may even vary a bit per "day". More along the lines of a cycle or "day" for the city to use. The city cavern is about 3.5 miles long with the city mostly along the shores of a lake on its western side.

The easiest solution might be to tie the spider's activity to a food source. Large numbers of bats in the eastern side of the cavern could fly out over the waters of the lake once a "day" to feed. I imagine the spiders would eventually time their webs to be out to catch as much food as possible.

The spiders actually glowing is a good idea too. I could use those as the star nodes, with the webs a dim glow since they're so high up.

Edited by - Eilserus on 03 Nov 2012 20:14:00
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  20:33:07  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to read a bit more up on spiders, but I could see drow using small "time clocks" also. A glass case with a spider in it that spins webs at a certain rate and they clean the case out once a day or week. Maybe 1 strand equals an hour's time etc. Might have to write up an arachnomancer or some crazy eccentric who sells spider-clocks after divining timekeeping from the web spinning rate of a small spider.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  20:53:03  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was sort of what I had in mind, too, Eil. Also, for anonther fun idea (I'm borrowing heavily from Pitch Black for all of this) what about an astrolabe/star-mobile? Like the one in the Riddick film that was in the abandoned settlement? They could have magical or artificer-made devices that measured the days and years by astronomical positions (based on knowledge from pre-Descent days, of course). For my original glowing-spider idea, I borrowed the glow-worms used in that movie to give them light, but since many such animals live in areas closer to the surface hwre they can readily determine cycles, you could make it some sort of evolutionary hold-over from their surface ancestors. You could even use some sort of magnetic or other minerals that react to or change during surface day/night cycles to trigger the creatures' habits!

With the bat/spider idea, it might be that the bats have a small exit shaft that they go through each day at dawn and sunset, and so the spiders might time their webs by that mass migration. This would make the cycle much more accurate, since purely underground bats would have no real need for a specific activity cycle, but rather feed whenever they are hungry. If the bats actually have an exit, however, the spiders could then have times when there would be much greater chance of catching food. Ecology can be a wonderful way to tell time, if you know how to tie it all together!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  00:11:33  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the astrolabe idea, but I have an illithid observatory tower in the city that has some wonky contraption like that in it that lets them chart the planes and other psionic and inhuman illithid things and used mostly at present to spy upon a noble house that happens to have what they think is a large planar sphere (Balder's Gate 2 reference) parked in their compound. But, alas, I haven't detailed that out completely either as the city grew to six sheets of paper taped together as I was designing it and I haven't had enough time to properly detail it all. I did like the idea of glow-worms, fire beetles, and certain molds for city street quasi lighting too. :)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  00:44:52  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, then since you've already incorporated some of those things, it seems only natural to run with it for time-keeping as well! And now that you mention it, a giant version of that little device in a central location could make for an AWESOME landmark/point of interest! Maybe the city takes pride in their "time-keeper", even though no one even remembers how or when it was built, or how it really works? You could even build a campaign adventure hook around it breaking or being sabotaged....

Hmmm- maybe that noble house is involved somehow. Or the illithids might use it to cause panic as city activity begins to break down due to lack of any means of keeping track of simple routines like temple services. Or something causes all the spiders and/or worms to begin dying, or a disease that makes such creatures unable to produce light could plague the city, plunging it into both darkness and disarray as all such light sources are inexplicably extinguished.

Your city sounds interesting- what is it called and where is it located? I have been working on something similar in my own HB world, so if you need any other suggestions, I've got tons of Underdark ideas to share! Fungi, drow culture variants, new items and magic, even forms of entertainment- anything you might need.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  01:00:20  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your luminescent webbing is one of the coolest ideas Ive seen. Since Im a notorious (ahem) 'borrower' of ideas...consider this idea stolen!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  01:00:39  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might steal this idea! Great one!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  03:36:36  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Well, then since you've already incorporated some of those things, it seems only natural to run with it for time-keeping as well! And now that you mention it, a giant version of that little device in a central location could make for an AWESOME landmark/point of interest! Maybe the city takes pride in their "time-keeper", even though no one even remembers how or when it was built, or how it really works? You could even build a campaign adventure hook around it breaking or being sabotaged....

Hmmm- maybe that noble house is involved somehow. Or the illithids might use it to cause panic as city activity begins to break down due to lack of any means of keeping track of simple routines like temple services. Or something causes all the spiders and/or worms to begin dying, or a disease that makes such creatures unable to produce light could plague the city, plunging it into both darkness and disarray as all such light sources are inexplicably extinguished.

Your city sounds interesting- what is it called and where is it located? I have been working on something similar in my own HB world, so if you need any other suggestions, I've got tons of Underdark ideas to share! Fungi, drow culture variants, new items and magic, even forms of entertainment- anything you might need.

I chose Szithlin from the old 2E Drow of the Underdark book and it's located under the Dalelands. Figured since we already have a Szith Morcane, Szithlin would probably be in the same general area as the names are similar and Szithlin was also an outpost until it grew into a city due to its placement on the shores of the Lake of Shadows.

I originally was going to use the Moondeep Sea, but figured it might be too bright of an environment for most drow tastes. That and I wanted a location closer to the Twisted Tower and the Dales area. So I used the Spellplague as an excuse to melt a huge swath of caverns open on the eastern side of the Lake of Shadows and increased its size by about 50%.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  03:38:40  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zireael, the spell exists. It's in 2e, it's a 1st level cleric spell of the Time sphere called, funnily enough, Know Time. It lets the caster know the time to the nearest minute, including hour, day, month, and year. Since it's such a low level cleric spell I'd say it's a sure thing some diviner converted it to a wizard version, though I'd make it more uncommon (so probably uncommon for diviners, rare for everyone else, following the Wizard's Spell Compendium rules).

And I agree with other posters that the luminescent spider webs sounds like a great idea. If it were me, though, I'd also give the webs the ability to trap anyone trying to pass through the ceiling, as well as astral and ethereal travelers. Why just have time telling webs, when you can also provide (incomplete) city defense as well? It would have to be only one of many layers, but hey, multitasking!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  04:37:09  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Szithlin? Interesting. And on a shoreline, too. Oddly enough, my main HB drow city is also a port, though it is in a sea-cave that connects directly to the surface ocean via a long tunnel. Have you considered a maritime culture? Basically, Underdark "seafarers". (fishing, crab/lobster trappers, pirates, etc) This could also change the dynamics of gender roles and pwoer-bases. A more water-based culture would (understandably) lean more toward stronger and more influencial males, due to the city's reliance on their trade to support it. This could lead to some interesting changes in their customs and laws. For instance, Lolth's clergy might have less influence, and there might be one or more powerful guilds leading instead.

Actually Moondeep Sea would make a really good location. I see no reason why it should be too bright, and even surface lakes and seas can be used if one employs a little magic to counter the side-effects of bright light on drow. Myself, I solved that problem by having their ships equipped with figureheads that emit a constant shadow-effect (think a ship-wide cloak of dark power), allowing the drow to operate in full sun without penalty- so long as they remain aboard the ship (or within the area of effect). Naturally, these items have some other spell-effects as well- normally concerned with fire-protection, summoning or directing winds when needed, shrouding the ship in fog or making it invisible, and the like. Of course the exact enchantments may vary by ship and as needed in your campaign, but you get the idea.

Hoondatha, I believe I know the spell you're referring to, as it's in the Wizard's Spell Compendium from 2nd ed. Volume 2, IIRC. Funny that I had forgotten that.

Eilserus, I like the idea of diviners using spider-clocks, as well- consider it borrowed!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  04:48:02  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It just occured to me- how would one feed the spider in the case for a "clock" of this sort? Would they keep them as pets, and have regular feedings? I can see it being a bit like the pet crickets sometimes kept in Chinese culture for luck. (There was one in Mulan, and the book A Cricket in Times Square mentions this as well!) Sub a spider, and there's a three-fold use for the little creepy crawlies! Perhaps they might serve as personal "alarms" as well, if they can make noise when disturbed. There are species of spiders that "bark" or "hiss" when threatened, so drow might keep something like this near their beds when they sleep for a simple and effective alarm. Hmm, liking this idea more and more....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  11:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a drow city years ago that was built in a cavern that had crystal spikes jutting from the roof- the spikes were the bottom of these miles-long crystal shafts that reached all the way up to the surface to form this kind of desert of crystal. The sunlight would filter through the crystals, causing them to glitter like stars during the daytime. This way, the drow could tell time.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  17:59:09  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Szithlin? Interesting. And on a shoreline, too. Oddly enough, my main HB drow city is also a port, though it is in a sea-cave that connects directly to the surface ocean via a long tunnel. Have you considered a maritime culture? Basically, Underdark "seafarers". (fishing, crab/lobster trappers, pirates, etc) This could also change the dynamics of gender roles and pwoer-bases. A more water-based culture would (understandably) lean more toward stronger and more influencial males, due to the city's reliance on their trade to support it. This could lead to some interesting changes in their customs and laws. For instance, Lolth's clergy might have less influence, and there might be one or more powerful guilds leading instead.

Actually Moondeep Sea would make a really good location. I see no reason why it should be too bright, and even surface lakes and seas can be used if one employs a little magic to counter the side-effects of bright light on drow. Myself, I solved that problem by having their ships equipped with figureheads that emit a constant shadow-effect (think a ship-wide cloak of dark power), allowing the drow to operate in full sun without penalty- so long as they remain aboard the ship (or within the area of effect). Naturally, these items have some other spell-effects as well- normally concerned with fire-protection, summoning or directing winds when needed, shrouding the ship in fog or making it invisible, and the like. Of course the exact enchantments may vary by ship and as needed in your campaign, but you get the idea.

Hoondatha, I believe I know the spell you're referring to, as it's in the Wizard's Spell Compendium from 2nd ed. Volume 2, IIRC. Funny that I had forgotten that.

Eilserus, I like the idea of diviners using spider-clocks, as well- consider it borrowed!

I actually have the Lolth faction as the weakest due to setbacks and horrific losses about a century ago when the priests of Ghaunadaur called up oozes, slimes, and other monsters from the seadeeps and local underdark. The acid scarred structures and districts closest to the docks were depopulated of the Spider Queen's followers and today serves as the city slums as noone repaired the area after the event.

The merchant faction is probably the strongest faction, especially after the PC's have come to believe the city's strongest male mage, who also leads a merchant house is in league with a deep dragon and is very likely a deep dragon himself.

The player's haven't tango'd with the Ghaunadaur faction yet other than having to pay some hefty taxes to run their tavern on the dockside. Since the city has refugees from Llurth Dreier, I've put a few aboleth in the temple and they and the priests have been working on some fell ritual to spark off another Great Devouring or maybe even summon an avatar of Ghaunadaur itself. Might even tie bits of the Night Below campaign into this too. The players aren't sure what's been going on there other than the priests haven't been seen outside their temple in weeks.

Fights in the streets are becoming more common and its clear war is coming. House Dhuurniv has been working to shore up its compound and power, working through the PC's. I've kept the matron sisters alive as 900 to 1000 year old hags who the players absolutely despise. The merchant faction has been courting some of the males in the group too.

One of the biggest problems I've ran into was mapping the local underdark. I made alot of tunnels and maps before settling on a format that I like. Originally, I had this giant regional map that covered the major tunnels from the duergar city under Zhentil Keep, down to about the Haptooth Hill drow outpost and all the way over to Tethyamar. Ended up settling on using the Night Below book 2 tunnels on the inside cover as a basis for the maps.

I changed the circles on that map to known monster lairs and possible encounters and the square markings to ruins, strongholds, cities etc. The edges of that map lead off to other areas such as the Ghostwood, the trading city of Khazefryn, or the Goblin Pits of Io-Rach. Each major area will have its own map of similar format full of potential encounters. I wanted more of a sandbox feel where players could explore and conquer if they wanted to, but it wasn't required. Hope I made sense in explaining this.

I'd much rather have copies of every underdark map Ed has created for the underdark near Shadowdale and under the Dales. Speaking of which, a little off topic, but Wizards should create a special Map Pack of all of Ed's old maps done up that we can buy in PDF format. Kind of like Pathfinder's Map Folios. Great maps really enhance a game and is why I use so many of them from the Pathfinder Adventure Paths.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  18:01:10  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I had a drow city years ago that was built in a cavern that had crystal spikes jutting from the roof- the spikes were the bottom of these miles-long crystal shafts that reached all the way up to the surface to form this kind of desert of crystal. The sunlight would filter through the crystals, causing them to glitter like stars during the daytime. This way, the drow could tell time.

This is a pretty cool idea too. With the Phaerimm all supposedly dead, I just might have to use this idea to create a small colony under the Anauroch. I personally think such an event would lead to a Great Seizing for the Underdark races, much like Myth Drannor once it was open for plundering. :)

Edited by - Eilserus on 04 Nov 2012 18:08:41
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  18:45:21  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Zireael, the spell exists. It's in 2e, it's a 1st level cleric spell of the Time sphere called, funnily enough, Know Time. It lets the caster know the time to the nearest minute, including hour, day, month, and year. Since it's such a low level cleric spell I'd say it's a sure thing some diviner converted it to a wizard version, though I'd make it more uncommon (so probably uncommon for diviners, rare for everyone else, following the Wizard's Spell Compendium rules).

Oh, I didn't know about the spell. Thanks.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  10:40:08  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See also this scroll: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14821
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  13:06:17  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is an amazing idea. Hope you dont mind if I borrow it.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  16:41:16  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spider-clock would be cool. I don't want to shoot it down, but biological common sense tells me that recycling behaviour that regular is related to morning dew condensing all over the web, especially on sticky threads. I.e. most likely it's strictly open-air.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  18:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

Feel free. I'm sure I borrowed it from somewhere, myself. Can't recall anymore.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  21:16:24  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Spider-clock would be cool. I don't want to shoot it down, but biological common sense tells me that recycling behaviour that regular is related to morning dew condensing all over the web, especially on sticky threads. I.e. most likely it's strictly open-air.

No worries. I like things somewhat believable, but they don't have to completely work in a real world sense.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  22:32:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

As I recall, the Dragonlance novel Stormblade describes something similar to this, in Thorbardin. I'm not up enough on my Dragonlance lore to know if that's described anywhere else in DL canon... That book drew way too heavily from the Chronicles for my liking, so that idea may have been lifted from elsewhere.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  00:30:10  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

As I recall, the Dragonlance novel Stormblade describes something similar to this, in Thorbardin. I'm not up enough on my Dragonlance lore to know if that's described anywhere else in DL canon... That book drew way too heavily from the Chronicles for my liking, so that idea may have been lifted from elsewhere.

Well I know I didn't borrow it from there as I haven't read any Dragonlance novels(though a friend has filled me in on the basic story and I keep meaning to get around to it).

Come to think of it, I think I did come up with it on my own but acknowledged that it was probably something that had been done before. What I was going for was illuminated crystals, but I wanted the light to have a cycle to it and I didn't want the generic "glowing magic crystal" thing, so I came up with the filtering sunlight thing. The crystals were still magic in nature, but the light wasn't a self-contained thing.

I think my big inspiration for it might have been the mirror-trick from ''The Mummy'', where they used mirrors to catch and reflect sunlight down into the tombs. The trick's been debunked, but it was still a cool idea.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  01:31:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

I know of the Thorbardin "time piece" you're describing, and you're right, it is somewhat like what Chosen has described here.

I don't recall it being referenced elsewhere, aside from those other novels set in Thorbardin. But I do remember the descriptive passages between the various books being somewhat inconsistent. I think Stormblade was the only time it was properly mentioned and detailed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  01:43:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the first sources I ever found concerning an underground city was the module B4: The Lost City. Not THE first mind you, but anyway.

I've started thinking of placing that city in the Underdark of the Forgotten Realms...but I want to use it in the desert just to the west of the Border Forest.

In that city glowing bugs are used for light sources...though I used as their "time keeping" device a regular schedule based on the "Old Faithful"-like gurgling of The Eye of Zargon...a small volcanic area on the edge of the city.

EDIT: as a note, your idea just got stolen! Glowing "Daywebs" are an awesome idea!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 07 Nov 2012 01:45:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000