Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Old version of The Crystal Shard?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  01:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I wonder,assuming that the case, if he ever regretted that decision, given the rumors a few years back that he wanted to put down Drizzt and move onto other projects and stayed on only because they told him they'd just have someone else write their cash cow instead.

I think those rumors sprung up right around the time realms of the underdark came out and Mark Anthony wrote that short story with Zaknafein and a very young Drizzt, along with a character who disappeared. Jalynfein the spider mage, an archmage Drow in menzo.

Not sure if they were true or not, but I doubt it

I have never heard the rumor that Bob wanted to kill off Drizzt outside here at the 'Keep. What I heard was that he simply wanted to be able to write other characters in addition to Drizzt, but when "The Cleric Quintet"'s sales (without Drizzt) didn't fare well compared to "Legacy of the Drow"'s (with Drizzt), TSR pressured him to keep churning out Drizzt books and short stories at the same or faster rate. He started out writing at a super-fast rate because he was an eager new writer and needed the money if he was going to transition away from his day job. But he didn't want to keep up that crazy pace, forever. TSR sure wanted him to, though. And with their financial troubles, they thought he needed to.

Throw in the desire for him to bring Wulfgar back, and he just was fed up. He tried to negotiate a better contract with them, but they wouldn't budge. Instead, they flexed their muscle and told him they would get others to write Drizzt books, since he wasn't going along with their plans. There was the Mark Anthony short story, and then a chapter in Once Around the Realms, by Brian Thomsen, and then the never-released Mark Anthony novel. Clearly, TSR wasn't bluffing.

So then Bob wrote Passage to Dawn, bringing Wulf back as requested/demanded, and restoring Bruenor's eye (and apparently Regis's missing fingers), and everybody was rewound back to their ready state in Icewind Dale, seemingly unphased by any of the last bit of trauma from "LOTD".

And then Bob stopped writing for TSR.

And TSR went away.

That Bob and Drizzt came back, with WOTC at the helm, would seem to show that he never wanted to kill Drizzt off. He just wanted to be able to write other stuff in addition to Drizzt. And he has been able to write his non-Realms Corona stuff, as well as "The Sellswords", and oversaw the "WOTSQ" project. His Realms novels generally have come out once per year since WOTC took over, instead of every 6-9 months as they were doing with TSR, for a time.

More recently, he has set Corona aside for awhile, and he is back to writing Realms fiction at a blazing pace again. No, he's not Ed-prolific. But he and WOTC are certainly releasing stuff with little downtime, nowadays. And he seems happy with this arrangement.

Well, to clarify, when I said "put down Drizzt", what I meant was retire him, put him on the shelf for a while, and focus on writing other things, not necessarily kill off the character. I've never heard anything substantial to the effect of Bob wanting to kill Drizzt off, either, but I have heard that at times he would have liked to put the story on hold to explore other things.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  03:22:00  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Well, to clarify, when I said "put down Drizzt", what I meant was retire him, put him on the shelf for a while, and focus on writing other things, not necessarily kill off the character. I've never heard anything substantial to the effect of Bob wanting to kill Drizzt off, either, but I have heard that at times he would have liked to put the story on hold to explore other things.

OK, that makes sense. Yeah, he and TSR both decided to set Drizzt aside at the end of "The Dark Elf Trilogy", and he started his new series with a human monk, which then became a cleric.

That decision, to let go of Drizzt for awhile, is something that usually gets mentioned only in passing. But it would probably be interesting for someone to really push Bob to discuss that more, in retrospect.

At any rate, the fan letters came in, and the sales apparently just weren't very impressive. So Bob drug out the drow ranger and the gang once again, as he tried to write both mini-series, "The Cleric Quintet" and "Legacy of the Drow", at the same time. At TSR's behest, he threw in a handful of short stories, and contributed to a couple of major sourcebooks. And somewhere in there, he also wrote the three non-Realms trilogy mini-series "The Spearwielder's Tale", "The Chronicles of Ynis Aielle", and "The Crimson Shadow". He was in a writing frenzy.

But it had to slow down, at some point. He still wanted the variety, but at a slower pace.

Well, he's come full circle, because now he says he's thrilled to be neck-deep in lots of Realms stories, and for different media.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000