Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Wands
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  22:50:50  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello...

After a quick search on this forum, I have not been able to finde the information I need. (3.5 rules)

1) Can every class use a wand?

2) If only a spell caster can use a wand, does one then need to have the correct divine/arcane class to cast the spell stored in a wand or does the spell become universal, so a wizard could cast a Cure light Wounds?

3) Does caster level affect the ablility to use the wand or more correctly, can you have to low a casterlevel to use a wand?

I hope you will help me and answer these questions, since I have not been able to find it in my books either!

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  00:17:59  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure but here's how I handle wands:

1. Only spell casters can use wands.
2. Characters can only use wands with spells from their class' spell list.
3. Caster level of the character doesn't matter, the wand uses the creator's caster level when the item was made.
Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  02:57:12  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I am wrong but I do remember Rogues being about to gain access to wands through Using Magical Device. Not to distract but I remember more than a few doing some crazy stuff, so a Rogue might pull it off if they can skill it out.

"Those two talk only of drink, riches, women, brawling, and magic, so ye've a one in five chance..." Quote from "Elminster in Hell"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  03:52:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, in 2E there were some wands that could be used by any class, and others (most of them) that required you to be a wizard.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  12:59:53  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit:
OK. I misremembered something. As pointed out by others, Wands are Spell Trigger type items, which means that the user of the Wand needs to be of a class that has the spell on their class spell list, or they need to manage a Use Magic Device check.

So no. A Cleric can't use a Wand of Fireballs, as the Fireball spell isn't on the Cleric's spell list, and similarly, a Fighter or Mage couldn't use a Wand of Cure Light Wounds, as neither of them can cast that particular divine spell.

The level of the character using the Wand is irrellevant. A 1st. level mage can use a Wand of Fireballs without problems. And yes, the Wand uses it's own caster level to determine effects.

Edited by - Kyrel on 25 Oct 2012 15:47:15
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  14:37:38  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clarification of this for 3.5 is in the Rules Compendium (page 85/86)

Wands are spell trigger items and can be used by two types of folks.

Those that have the spell on their classes spell list. The user must know what spell the wand conatains and know the trigger word. A silence spell or a user unable to speak cannot use a wand. The example in the book says that a 3rd level Paladin can use a wand that contains any spell on the Paladin spell list even though he or she cannot cast spells yet. For domain spells are only counted if they are on the domains your character has chosen, not those that apply to your god.

The others are those that have use magic device, the DC listed is 20 for using a wand, whish also applies to spell store items such as a magical staff, or in a realms specific item scepters.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  20:34:52  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the information!

After reading this, and some more in the books I have come to understand the mechanics of the wand. So mission accomplished!!!

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000