Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Waterdeep's Day of Horses
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  17:59:45  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks !
In my campaign, Waterdeep is organizing the Day of horses. A parade of the horses of the city's army, a horse's race, and such festivities are scheduled.
That day, Waterdhavians can't eat horse, and can't brutalize any of such animals.

Which other ideas can you give me for roleplaying that day ?

I ask myself : which deity(ies) would be specially involved in such celebrations ?

Thanks in advance,

Volo

Edited by - Marco Volo on 18 Oct 2012 18:01:05

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  18:23:07  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say Nobanion, Llira, Selune and probably some other deity of Nature.

Maybe there could be some Cavalia-style shows, honoring the grace of those beasts and the bond can they can develop with their riders.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  19:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torm for the knights. There might also be a unit of red-armored female riders to honor the Red Knight with complex displays of strategy and choreographed formations (like a field show)?

Great idea, btw.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  19:38:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Centaurs.

I was trying to figure-out a connection between Centaurs, Nobanion, and Wemics (the Shining Plain was once home for tribes of centaurs, which all seemed to have disappeared and been replaced with Wemics at some point). My point is that Kilvan mentioned Nobanion above, and I rather like that, because it ties into stuff I was working on (but never quite put my finger on).

Place a tribe of Centaurs in the Ardeep Forest and have them lead the parade, or some-such. For a more fey/Celtic (Moonshaes?) spin, you may even want to include a horned 'Master of the Hunt' figure (depending on which way you want to go with things). A ceremony that pays tribute to a more primal time, when horses were a very important part of man's conquest of his environment (which still holds true in FR).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Oct 2012 19:39:18
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  08:16:57  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great ideas of yours ! The horse show and field show in honor of the Red Knight are both exciting !

The race would be dedicated to the "more primal time, when horses were a very important part of man's conquest of his environment".

I've added :

- An election of the best horse of Waterdeep.
- The visit of Piergeiron to the breeder of the oldest horse in town (I'm running in 1366 DR).

Don't hesitate to give me other good ideas like the previous.

Edited by - Marco Volo on 19 Oct 2012 08:25:14
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  23:57:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could possibley have the winner of such a contest 'Awakened' by an Archdruid (so it would be like a Narnian horse).

What Paladin wouldn't want that for his mount?

I just read the short story Feast of the Moon by Christopher Rowe in Realms of the Dead, and it featured a priest of Malar who 'talked' to his horse (it was a telepathy thing, though), which is what inspired that idea.

As for the Celtic/Moonshae spin, horses are very popular amongst the fey, and they have several kinds of their own. Aside from the Eleven Horse (Yyllethyn, from Dragon #269), you also have the Chevall (a horse that can turn into a Centaur), the Colt-pixie (and Coltpixie, from the Mystara MM), the Pooka (Phooka/púca - shapeshifter, one of its favorite forms is that of a horse, detailed in Tall Tales of the Wee Folk), and the Aughisky - a dark fey steed that tries to drown its victims (featured in the story Thieves' Honor in Realms of Infamy).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Oct 2012 00:44:48
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  00:49:13  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps some tourneys could be arranged on this day. All including riding of course. Like jousting. Or perhaps not very Celtic or Moonshae spirited but this game could be useful for you too, it's called Jereed. It is different than jousting or other riding games because the horses have actually a sacred and important place in this game, as it fits your Horse Day of Waterdeep.

quote:

Jereed is a traditional Turkish equestrian team sport played outdoors on horseback in which the objective is to score points by throwing a blunt wooden javelin at opposing team's horsemen.

Horses have been essential and even sacred animals for Turks living as nomadic tribes in the Central Asian steppes. Turks were born, grew up, lived, fought and died on horseback. So became jereed the most important sporting and ceremonial game of Turkish people

Jereed is a means of improving equestrian skills, and involves two teams of horsemen, each armed with dried oak or poplar sticks. The sticks with rubber-tipped, blunt ends are 70-100 cm in length and 2-3 cm in diameter. Originally, the sticks were heavier and thicker, however in order to reduce the risk of injury, players came to prefer sticks made of poplar wood, which become lighter when dried. The teams are formed by six, eight or twelve players, standing on opposite sides of a field marked within a square of 70 to 130 meters. There are three "end zones" of about six meters deep at each end of the field, being a team's waiting area, thus meaning a neutral zone and the opposing team's throwing area. Each team has its own flag. The horses should not be younger than four years of age. A medium height horse is preferred because tall horses are not quick to maneuver, therefore most suitable ones are Arabian and Turkoman horses.

At the beginning of the game, it is traditional for the youngest rider to trot towards the opposing team, shout the name of a player and at a distance of 30 to 40 meters toss his jereed at that player challenging him to enter the game. Then, he gallops back to his side, meanwhile the challenged player pursues him and throws a jereed at the fleeing player. Another player from the first team comes out and meets the retreating rider. The player from the second team starts riding quickly to his corner and takes his former place. This time, his rival chases him and throws a jereed at him. The fast-charging chase game goes on in two 45-minute periods.[1]

This process of chasing and fleeing, while trying to hit an opponent with a stick, is the essence of the game, which requires skill and sportsmanship. To hit the horse instead of the rider, which is regarded as a sign of inexperience, is against the rules, and causes the offender to be sent off the field.

So you basically try to hit your opponet by throwing your stick to them but you should not hit the horse because they're deeply respected and sacred animals. It also includes some athletic moves like riding the horse while sitting backward on it and throwing the stick etc. There are more details at this link like the game's history in Ottoman Empire and in other countries in Europe and some more detailed rules: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jereed

Edited by - farinal on 22 Oct 2012 01:02:51
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  12:03:59  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Mielikki? Her symbol is a unicorn and there should be a Chosen of her (at least in 3E FRCS).

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  08:08:29  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all !
quote:
Originally posted by MarkustayYou could possibley have the winner of such a contest 'Awakened' by an Archdruid.

That's a great idea, I adopt it right away !
quote:
Originally posted by Pazuzu

What about Mielikki? Her symbol is a unicorn and there should be a Chosen of her (at least in 3E FRCS).

Yes, I put a mass done by both the high priest of Sylvanus and Mielikki. The idea of a Chosen is inspiring. What could he done during such a day ?
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  09:20:17  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo
quote:
Originally posted by Pazuzu

Yes, I put a mass done by both the high priest of Sylvanus and Mielikki. The idea of a Chosen is inspiring. What could he done during such a day ?

It's a she :-D Maybe she could give out medals for the winners of the tourney or for those who worked in the ways of Mielikki (like a medal of honor). She would for sure also join the ceremony and maybe also take a little part in it by helping the highpriest.

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000