Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What happened to Ed's Forging the Realms articles?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  15:21:41  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone know what happened to Ed's weekly Forging the Realms column? Usually out every Friday but I don't see one today. :( I hope it wasn't discontinued, I was really digging those and looking forward to them.

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  15:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are times when articles don't go live until after WotC's offices open. They're on the west coast, so I'd wait an hour and a half or so, and take another peek.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  15:38:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not a supply problem, as I know that Ed has written and turned in at least twenty of them.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  15:58:44  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

There are times when articles don't go live until after WotC's offices open. They're on the west coast, so I'd wait an hour and a half or so, and take another peek.

Will do. Thanks. :)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  15:59:18  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

It's not a supply problem, as I know that Ed has written and turned in at least twenty of them.
love,
THO

nice! months worth of reading! :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  16:04:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

love,
THO

I'm assuming that there might be something of a hold-up on what to do with the series, now that it seems like Wizards is returning to compiling their monthly allotment of DDI articles into convenient PDFs for either DRAGON or DUNGEON.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Oct 2012 16:06:26
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  16:47:52  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that's true. With the change they might have to switch it to a different day in the lineup.

You know I was thinking, with DDI seeming to be "missing" something for many people, I wonder if Wizards would be open to increase the page count of it. Being electronic articles, the costs would be low. Ed has years of notes, that even with the Realms focus probably won't see the light of day due to the sheer volume. Maybe Wizards should spiff up DDI some with a monthly Backdrop that features locations all over the Realms. I don't know about anyone else, but those big articles are always my favorite. I know we already have Ed's Eye on the Realms, but maybe with more great content packed in, people would be more willing to sign up.

Another cool thing, would be seeing articles where we are shown new ruins and other adventure sights across Faerun, like Ed's famous mini-dungeons or even bigger ones. The big thing, being new, actionable places DM's can slap down just about anywhere. I'd be ok seeing places we already know, as long as we're talking places that have never really been touched, like Durlag's Tower etc. And if we're talking mini-dungeons, they could include a map too. Something in format along the lines of those cards that came with the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, light on rules, but full of room description and what's in them etc. All you have to do is open up whatever rules edition monster manual you have and add the monsters listed and blam, you have a mini-adventure to run, unless of course you want to customize the place etc. And I find it always easier and less time-consuming to rewrite/adapt an adventure than create one from scratch.

Ah well, there I go dreaming again. ;) hehehe

Edited by - Eilserus on 12 Oct 2012 16:54:05
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  17:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

love,
THO

I'm assuming that there might be something of a hold-up on what to do with the series, now that it seems like Wizards is returning to compiling their monthly allotment of DDI articles into convenient PDFs for either DRAGON or DUNGEON.
WotC is only compiling the things that would normally be behind the paywall. Since the Forging the Realms series is free to read, it won't be getting compiled in the monthly PDF.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  17:03:15  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here it is!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2012 :  01:42:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

love,
THO

WotC is only compiling the things that would normally be behind the paywall. Since the Forging the Realms series is free to read, it won't be getting compiled in the monthly PDF.

That teaches me for posting when I'm drowsy.

I actually meant to say that the hold-up with the article was due to Wizards reorganisation of how they presented their online content. Maybe the release of the latest "Forging the Realms" article was delayed slightly because of the reshuffling of material being made available over the last several days.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000