Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 A question to FR writers and everyone
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  06:06:38  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm curious: how long does it take to write a standart FR book or a game handbook? Months? How many hours a day do writers work? Is it exhausting?
Are FR books and fantasy in general more difficult to write than other books?

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  06:09:22  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This all depends on the individual writer. We vary on each of these points.
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  06:12:56  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

This all depends on the individual writer. We vary on each of these points.

Well, I'd be happy if you tell us at least about yourself or someone you know.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  06:17:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started writing my first novel when I was 13. I'm up to chapter 3 now.

...and I'm 49.

I have to assume (prolific) writers do not have ADD. God bless them, otherwise I would have run out of crap to read years ago.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  14:31:03  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay. It generally takes me three to four months to write a novel although I can rush the process if I have to. I've done books in as little as a month and a half.

I work about forty hours a week at writing, and it does tire me out.

I don't find fantasy or franchise stories like Realms books to be more difficult to write than other types of material.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  15:19:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your name is Ed Greenwood, less than a month. Maybe longer, if you take sleep or bathroom breaks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  03:05:58  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I interviewed Ed once, for a newspaper, and he said he wrote The Mercenaries (Double Diamond Triangle book) in 3 hours, and co-wrote the last book of that series (which he had to shorten, a lot) in two days.
He wrote Elminster: The Making Of A Mage in 16 days (of consecutive two-day weekends).
However, interestingly, Ed's core answer tallies with what Richard (whom Ed much more recently told me he deeply respects as a "true veteran writer") just posted: Ed needs three months to turn out a "decent novel of 100,000 words or so." He said, "you can spread out that working time over more months, but if you cut it down, the book usually suffers."
He said he once wrote or ghost-wrote seven novels in one year, but doesn't much like any of the books he cranked out during that time.
BB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000