Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Erik's Scott de Bie's "Heir of Shadowbane"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  04:20:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Wizards has uploaded Erik's new short story to the site.

You can find the Heir of Shadowbane PDF available here, as a free download. [No DDI subscription is required.]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Sep 2012 04:22:37

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  14:50:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good find, Sage! And now to send this link everywhere.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  16:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where does this fall in the Shadowbane timeline? I am reading Eye of Justice right now. Should I take a break and read this first? It would have been nice to have this included in the EoJ eBook.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  16:14:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
7 years after the prologue of EoJ, 3 years before the events in the novel.

PS: thanks for the link (and for the story, ofc).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Sep 2012 16:16:44
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  16:14:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This falls into my tradition of writing "companion" stories for my novels. It can be read at any time before, during, or after the novel it relates to (Eye of Justice). Chronologically, it takes place between the prologue and first chapter of the novel (specifically, 7 years after the prologue, 3 years before chapter 1).

This isn't included in the eBook for a couple reasons: 1) it's primarily a promotional tool (so it makes more sense as an outside download), and 2) WotC and I don't actually have a contract regarding this story (which they would need to publish it).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  19:51:19  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

This falls into my tradition of writing "companion" stories for my novels. It can be read at any time before, during, or after the novel it relates to (Eye of Justice). Chronologically, it takes place between the prologue and first chapter of the novel (specifically, 7 years after the prologue, 3 years before chapter 1).

This isn't included in the eBook for a couple reasons: 1) it's primarily a promotional tool (so it makes more sense as an outside download), and 2) WotC and I don't actually have a contract regarding this story (which they would need to publish it).

Cheers

There wouldn't happen to be a version of your story in an eBook format floating around anywhere? I tried converting the pdf it wasn't very readable. :(
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  20:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I know of. Reading it on the site appears to be the only option at the moment.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  21:27:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

Cheers

There wouldn't happen to be a version of your story in an eBook format floating around anywhere? I tried converting the pdf it wasn't very readable. :(

I didnt have a problem with reading it, but you could save it as a pdf...cut and paste/copy into a word document and make adjustments to make it readable in any form you like.....in a few seconds i easily hypotheticaly could have arranged it in to a very nice "bookish" fascimile

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  21:53:19  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik Scott de Bie is dreamy.

Good piecen my friend!
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  22:40:35  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

Cheers

I didnt have a problem with reading it, but you could save it as a pdf...cut and paste/copy into a word document and make adjustments to make it readable in any form you like.....in a few seconds i easily hypotheticaly could have arranged it in to a very nice "bookish" fascimile

I'll probably do something like this. I can always read it on my Kindle as a PDF.
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  03:34:37  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was an enjoyable short.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  15:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you approve, Tarlyn. What was your favorite part, if I may ask?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  15:51:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Kalen's total obliviousness to the attentions of the fairer sex. I mean Mirt could have cased that room while enjoying the dancer, for that matter so could have FoxIs he really that focused....or is really scared of being close to anyone?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  16:08:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Kalen's total obliviousness to the attentions of the fairer sex.
Is he really that focused....or is really scared of being close to anyone?
Both!

Writing Kalen is an interesting endeavor. It's not that he dislikes women (certainly not!), but he's missing important pieces of the "how to talk to girls" puzzle every guy has to figure out.

He had kind of a stunted childhood and emotional development, having been abandoned by his mother (who died) and sister (who fled Luskan to become an adventurer) when he was very young. When he did come across a female role-model, it was his adopted halfling "sister" Cellica (hardly a typical example of the female half of the world) and later the stoic hardass Levia (whom he met when he was 15, and is again a little weird).

If anything, his time in Waterdeep was really good for him in this respect (we can credit Araezra with "making a man out of him"). As of the actual Shadowbane series, he's pretty keen on the ladies, but even then he still feels a need to keep his distance, both because of his quest and his curse.

And of course Myrin is like no woman he has ever met.

quote:
I mean Mirt could have cased that room while enjoying the dancer, for that matter so could have Fox
Oh, rest assured, both of them HAVE done so.

Ilira actually spent several years as a dancer herself, in Neverwinter, Westgate, and in the Shining South. If charm is her core ability, dancing is her great love.

But that's another tale for another day.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  16:31:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Kalen's total obliviousness to the attentions of the fairer sex.
Is he really that focused....or is really scared of being close to anyone?
Both!

Writing Kalen is an interesting endeavor. It's not that he dislikes women (certainly not!), but he's missing important pieces of the "how to talk to girls" puzzle every guy has to figure out.

He had kind of a stunted childhood and emotional development, having been abandoned by his mother (who died) and sister (who fled Luskan to become an adventurer) when he was very young. When he did come across a female role-model, it was his adopted halfling "sister" Cellica (hardly a typical example of the female half of the world) and later the stoic hardass Levia (whom he met when he was 15, and is again a little weird).

If anything, his time in Waterdeep was really good for him in this respect (we can credit Araezra with "making a man out of him"). As of the actual Shadowbane series, he's pretty keen on the ladies, but even then he still feels a need to keep his distance, both because of his quest and his curse.

And of course Myrin is like no woman he has ever met.

quote:
I mean Mirt could have cased that room while enjoying the dancer, for that matter so could have Fox
Oh, rest assured, both of them HAVE done so.

Ilira actually spent several years as a dancer herself, in Neverwinter, Westgate, and in the Shining South. If charm is her core ability, dancing is her great love.

But that's another tale for another day.

Cheers

Damn you de Bie!! I knew you were going to say both when I typed that! I blame your height

Kalen's sister.....is that a thread you are hoping to weave later or can you share just a bit? Name....who she adventured with...anything?

Dancing is her great love? and she has a very fiar voice as well..... it seems ever more evident that you and Ed know Fox and Storm have crossed paths

Edited by - The Red Walker on 07 Sep 2012 16:32:40
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  17:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kalen's sister.....is that a thread you are hoping to weave later or can you share just a bit? Name....who she adventured with...anything?
I think you already know that. Did you read my previous novel, Shadowbane?

quote:
Dancing is her great love? and she has a very fair voice as well..... it seems ever more evident that you and Ed know Fox and Storm have crossed paths
I won't go so far as to say they chopped wood together in just their boots (can you visualize Ilira with an axe?), but yes, they certainly know each other. (Ahem!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  19:53:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is my first Shadowbane story, so I have to sadly admit I was a bit lost.

Took me awhile to realize 'Kalen' was the dude's name.
Had to re-read much of the fight scene to understand it because of that.

The halfling character is... intriguing. Brilliant marketing, putting her in a free story.

First, I want to say that I enjoyed the tale. Second, I would like to say that the 'supers' premise was a bit too obvious. The 'Ironman' boots were jarring, and crossed a line for me (the Green Lantern-like mantra I simply found amusing). Still, a good yarn, all-in-all.

I have been trying to track down your other Shadowbane stories and have encountered a problem - am I to understand that only the first novel was a physical book? If so, does that mean you can't read them without having to purchase a kindle? (My knowledge of the e-Book format is nill).

BTW, I had no problem downloading the story and reading it as a pdf. I don't understand why others had a problem - looked perfect to me. Thanks again for writing it and letting us enjoy it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Sep 2012 19:54:43
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  20:43:56  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The halfling character is... intriguing. Brilliant marketing, putting her in a free story.

First, I want to say that I enjoyed the tale. Second, I would like to say that the 'supers' premise was a bit too obvious. The 'Ironman' boots were jarring, and crossed a line for me (the Green Lantern-like mantra I simply found amusing). Still, a good yarn, all-in-all.

I have been trying to track down your other Shadowbane stories and have encountered a problem - am I to understand that only the first novel was a physical book? If so, does that mean you can't read them without having to purchase a kindle? (My knowledge of the e-Book format is nill).

BTW, I had no problem downloading the story and reading it as a pdf. I don't understand why others had a problem - looked perfect to me. Thanks again for writing it and letting us enjoy it.

All Erik's free goodies

http://erikscottdebie.com/exclusive-web-content-free/

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  20:46:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I did really, I was thinking you meant blood siister not Cellica....I have terrible memory skills though. It is why my re-read pile is so large...I guess your gonna make me re-read it you dastard! Well when I do , Ill just feel silly and blame you!

quote:
Dancing is her great love? and she has a very fair voice as well..... it seems ever more evident that you and Ed know Fox and Storm have crossed paths
I won't go so far as to say they chopped wood together in just their boots (can you visualize Ilira with an axe?), but yes, they certainly know each other. (Ahem!)

Cheers[/quote]

Im hoping the ("Ahem!) implies what I think it does I can't imagine they would waste any time on wood.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 07 Sep 2012 20:57:53
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  20:49:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@MT: Boots of striding and springing strike you as "Iron man"? Religious vows sound like Green Lantern (which I have never and don't currently read)? Man, D&D must really bother you.

Also, you are correct in part: Downshadow is the only novel that was also released on paper. The others have been ebook only, though you *DO NOT* need an ereader for them. Check here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

quote:

quote:

I did really, I was thinking you meant blood siister not Cellica....I have terrible memory skills though. It is why my re-read pile is so large...I guess your gonna make me re-read it you dastard! Well when I do , Ill just feel silly and blame you!
You might be forgetting about one of the villains in Shadowbane, who walks with a prounced limp and worships two goddesses that are different sides of the same coin.

quote:
I'm hoping the ("Ahem!) implies what I think it does I can't imagine they would waste any time on wood.
And in context, I'm assuming the double entendre is purposeful.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 07 Sep 2012 20:59:21
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  20:59:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@MT: Boots of striding and springing strike you as "Iron man"? Religious vows sound like Green Lantern (which I have never and don't currently read)? Man, D&D must really bother you.

Also, you are correct in part: Downshadow is the only novel that was also released on paper. The others have been ebook only, though you *DO NOT* need an ereader for them. Check here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

quote:

quote:

You might be forgetting about one of the villains in Shadowbane, who walks with a prounced limp and worships two goddesses that are different sides of the same coin.

quote:
I'm hoping the ("Ahem!) implies what I think it does I can't imagine they would waste any time on wood.
In contest, I'm assuming the double entendre is purposeful.

Cheers

I think everything about 'fox has a certain duallity....so yep, intentional

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  21:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little more follow-up:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Honestly, this is probably not the right Shadowbane story to start with. The one to read first is the "Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane." You certainly *can* start with this one, but you're in media res.

quote:
Cellica is a significant supporting character in Downshadow and makes a cameo in the prologue of Eye of Justice.

quote:
First, I want to say that I enjoyed the tale.
Well that's good. Thanks!

quote:
Second, I would like to say that the 'supers' premise was a bit too obvious. The 'Ironman' boots were jarring, and crossed a line for me (the Green Lantern-like mantra I simply found amusing).
Huh. While I confess I play occasionally with superhero tropes (like Kalen's Batman-esque war on evil), I certainly don't write with a "supers premise." Here's my analysis of the story:

Kalen labors under a curse that blocks pain and other physical sensation. In game mechanical terms, this is basically like him having a permanent stoneskin effect. He does have magic items (boots of striding and springing, a sword that glows and burns unattuned wielders), but then, what D&D hero doesn't?

Cellica is mildly psionic, and can compel/"hold" people on command. She has a magic item that allows her to turn a weapon or small item into an amulet.

Levia charges up with divine buff spells, much like a cleric in D&D (which she is).

I don't really see how these characters are any more like superheroes than any other set of D&D heroes. The similarity is really only there if you're looking for it, which you could get from any D&D/fantasy novel.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 07 Sep 2012 21:46:36
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  00:56:02  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found Kalen to be a cool character. Basically, characters are typically what attracts me to any series. Although, it took me a while to realize that he was the same shadowbane that is talked about on the boards a bunch. Once the spellscar came up, I realized it was the same character.

I did enjoy the masked dancers reference to the Sage of Shadowdale series. Of course, I really liked all the different realms deity names that were dropped. There are a lot of little realms lore nuggets in there, but the characters with personality is what makes the story.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  02:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tarlyn.

It's neat that this is proving to be sort of an entry point for a bunch of people. Kalen Dren has been synonymous with Shadowbane in my head for 5 years now, and if you read any of the novels, it comes across pretty clearly. But if this story is the first thing you're looking at, then you might not know Kalen is Shadowbane until the end of the story. Which is what happens in an origin story, I suppose!

I'm glad the character is appealing for you, and I hope you keep reading. There's lots more where this came from.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  02:47:21  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the title is what confused me. I picked the story up thinking it was about shadowbane's heir. So, I was thinking that shadowbane's heir was the heir to the character I keep hearing about.

Also, is Kalen somehow supernaturally compelled to fight for justice, or is that just a personality thing.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  04:37:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

quote:

You might be forgetting about one of the villains in Shadowbane, who walks with a prounced limp and worships two goddesses that are different sides of the same coin.[/quote]

Ahhh..missed that bit.....and I am totally forgetting her, drawing a total blank on her name and only barely remembering her ?....I was thinking the baddies from Shadowbane were Sithe and Toytere? Wasn't sis in Downshadow? Or am I even more confused.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  04:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and well met!

quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

I think the title is what confused me. I picked the story up thinking it was about shadowbane's heir. So, I was thinking that shadowbane's heir was the heir to the character I keep hearing about.
The Shadowbane referred to in the story is Gedrin Shadowbane, the founder of the Eye of Justice, who was the first to bear that name. I recommend you check out "The Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane." The story at hand, "Heir of Shadowbane," tells the tale of how Kalen came to call himself Shadowbane, after his idol/master Gedrin.

quote:
Also, is Kalen somehow supernaturally compelled to fight for justice, or is that just a personality thing.
It's more of his own personal quest, but it's definitely bound up in his faith (a sort of triad called the Threefold God: Helm, Tyr, and Torm fused into one being) and also his paladinhood. Read that story I linked to--it will probably make it clearer.

SPOILERS FOR MY NOVEL SHADOWBANE

quote:

Ahhh..missed that bit.....and I am totally forgetting her, drawing a total blank on her name and only barely remembering her ?....I was thinking the baddies from Shadowbane were Sithe and Toytere? Wasn't sis in Downshadow? Or am I even more confused.
Sithe and Toytere were "sort of" bad guys, sort of good guys, depending. The main antagonist was the Coin Priest, Eden Dren, the high priestess of Tymora/Beshaba who led the Coin-Spinners guild in Luskan. Also Kalen's half-sister, having shared the same mother (a native Luskan woman named Dren)--Kalen's father was (apparently) a knight from Luruar, and it is unknown who Eden's father was. (Eden did NOT appear in Downshadow.)

END SPOILERS

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  04:57:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it! Now that I remember a bit about her, maybe I was trying To forget a bit!

Thanks for the answer and it's still on my re-read list. Good thing about bad memory.....I enjoy books almost as much the second time

Edit: atrocious spelling

Edited by - The Red Walker on 08 Sep 2012 13:37:46
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  06:25:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What? You haven't realized yet - EVERYTHING bothers me.
quote:
Heir of Shadowbane, pg.3
As she clung desperately, Kalen summoned the magic in his boots and leaped. Tiny blue flames lit under his feet, and the magic lifted him up to the roof as easily as if he’d taken a tiny step.
Accent, mine. It wasn't the boots... it was the jets.

It was just an honest critique. Be glad that was the worst thing I could say. Overall, it was good story, and thats really all that matters, eh?

Thanks again for sharing it with us.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  07:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. The reason the boots manifest little blue flames is because that's how flamespeed is described in the 4e FRCS. It's a spellscar thing.

You should definitely check out more, and let me know what you think, post a review, etc.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  21:55:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW - and this really has nothing to do with the story other then my better understanding a small part of it - you can reach the Inner Sea from Durpar in 4e?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000