Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Forging the Forgotten Realms - by Ed Greenwood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2013 :  08:00:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, look what I found here... Ed's latest "Forging the Realms" article:- I Gloat in Your General Direction!.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2013 :  14:06:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW...

Talk about serendipitous.

Unless Ed reads this thread, and has a sly sense of humor.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  07:56:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed provides some fascinating insights into a rather unexpected topic for this week's "Forging the Realms" article:- Monster Breeding for Fun and Profit.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  10:21:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed describes a mysterious magical device, the Flask of Dreams

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Oct 2013 10:21:49
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  13:50:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great article - one of my new favorites.

I like the 'slow game' concept. Lately I have been toying with the idea of an FR Illuminati-like organization, thats sits 'above and beyond' even the powerful secret organizations we know of. This article hints that such may actually exist.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  02:33:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My internet connection seems to be working properly again... I hope.

So, for that reason partly, and to undermine the Furry Hamster's effort to usurp my position as Candlekeep's Official Poster of Links to Ed Greenwood's "Forging the Realms" Series of Articles at Wizards of the Coast, I present the latest addition:- Flask of Dreams.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  03:09:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

My internet connection seems to be working properly again... I hope.

So, for that reason partly, and to undermine the Furry Hamster's effort to usurp my position as Candlekeep's Official Poster of Links to Ed Greenwood's "Forging the Realms" Series of Articles at Wizards of the Coast, I present the latest addition:- Flask of Dreams.

Silly Sage. If you weren't so busy living up to your actual Candlekeep title, you would have beat me to the post!

Or are you going to continue to blame SageNet?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2013 :  07:00:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed provides a curious map for our perusal in this week's "Forging the Realms" article:- Thaelon Morgyr's Map.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2013 :  07:17:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage beat me to it!

I'll add that for those of you who have a copy of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, you will find the "Trade Routes and Resources" map on pages 88-89 of that tome becomes all the more useful after reading this latest of Ed's Forging the Realms articles.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 05 Nov 2013 07:22:48
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2013 :  21:00:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you switch the names around... Morg Thaelon?

Nah... couldn't be.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2013 :  21:07:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the article, but it was a bit sloppy, on the part of the WotC web folks, to have included the last bit from the last article as part of this one.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  05:55:22  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I like the article, but it was a bit sloppy, on the part of the WotC web folks, to have included the last bit from the last article as part of this one.

Good catch.
This made me wonder if they don't have a cut and paste style template where they copy Ed's latest article text into a form and then hit publish.

Though, after thinking about it, I wondered if Ed didn't unintentionally use the same last sentence twice without realizing it (assuming he wrote the last two articles one after the other).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  11:04:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Good catch.
This made me wonder if they don't have a cut and paste style template where they copy Ed's latest article text into a form and then hit publish.

Though, after thinking about it, I wondered if Ed didn't unintentionally use the same last sentence twice without realizing it (assuming he wrote the last two articles one after the other).

When I read the article, I thought the last bit was a bit jarring, and rather similar to the previous entry -- then I went back and saw they were the same. I really don't think it fits, and the fact that the wording is identical is why I think it was a screwup on the part of the web folks.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  11:20:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I beat the Sage again.

Ed tackles a rather smelly subject with the Lord of the Sewers

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  13:32:54  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what time-period this lore is set in?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  13:38:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ambiguous 5e 'no time' period.

At least, that would be my guess.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  20:33:56  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's about right, Markus. The time period is unreliable. ;)

For those that really want to know, often you can infer the earliest date that the article applies to by noting the dates given for events that happened in the past that are also mentioned in the article.

For me, unless an article clearly points out the date, I assume it's 1479 DR or later.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2013 :  02:22:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a blatant disregard for Wooly's earlier efforts , I present Ed's latest "Forging the Realms" article:- Lord of the Sewers.

I really do like the concept of fungi-farms in an RPG setting. And I'm kind of surprised that I haven't explored this previously in my Realms... especially since the myconids regularly rank among my favourite monstrous-types. Well, Ed's changed that!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2013 :  14:01:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys need to stop this - the gremlins are going to get out again if you two stay distracted.

quote:

For me, unless an article clearly points out the date, I assume it's 1479 DR or later.
And here I assume that the 'real' (unofficial) date is that of Ed's Realms, which would be just prior to 1e, somewhere in the early 1350's. I always figured he wrote everything from that perspective (unless specifically tasked to do otherwise).

Anyhow, there you go - thats the benefit of ambiguity: each of us can imagine it being in whatever time we prefer.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2013 :  15:25:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You guys need to stop this - the gremlins are going to get out again if you two stay distracted.

Sage is the Keeper of the Gremlins.

I'm the Keeper of the Calishite Dancing Girls.

Guess which one of us has more fun at our duties?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2013 :  02:18:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*The Sage hazards to note that Wooly's most recently reply actually worked into something very different in his mind...

... particularly, the second line reading "I'm the Keeper of the Calishite Dancing Gremlins."*

In which case, he can have all the fun he wishes for...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  06:54:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This week Ed presents a rare look into priesthoods of the Realms with The Four Quests of Radiance.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  08:48:40  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that was a great read.

I hope we get more like that for other deities, both good and evil.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  16:18:30  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I wonder which was the typo 'in 1358 DR' or 'with the Spellplague about to erupt'. Considering later dates given in the article it could be a confusion between the Spellplague and the Era of Upheaval.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  16:51:37  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's pretty straightforward in that Tymora appears to have foreseen the Spellplague and taken steps to avert disaster vis-a-visher clergy and worshipers, with the later dates referring to the outcomes of those efforts.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  19:17:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Or at least that something bad was coming; perhaps nothing specific.

Which once more begs the question of how it could have happened, with mortals and deities knowing something was up...

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2013 :  03:48:58  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The extent of the mortal knowledge seems to be that they were inspired through divine guidance to take action, without having any real knowledge of the Spellplague.

As for divine senses, I don't see it as being purely linear. Even if it is, it would seem Tymora was in no position to do anything about it or perhaps preferred not to.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2013 :  09:32:54  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Even if it is, it would seem Tymora was in no position to do anything about it or perhaps preferred not to.

Nonsense!

She could've blessed Mystra beforehand:

Cyric: "I use Evil Plot Hammer of Doom against Mystra"
Ao: "Ok. Mystra, roll a fortitude save against DC 999"
Mystra: "Wha??"
Tymora whispers somethings in Ao's hear
Ao: "Ok, no need. Natural 20! Mystra, you save!"
Mystra: "AH! Now it's my turn SUCKER!"
Cyric: "What the f---???!?"
Shar: "Uhm ... yes, I ... go somewhere in the Astral searching for the shadevari, yeah, i do that, cya Cyric"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2013 :  13:21:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Though I wonder which was the typo 'in 1358 DR' or 'with the Spellplague about to erupt'. Considering later dates given in the article it could be a confusion between the Spellplague and the Era of Upheaval.
I haven't read the article - I've fallen behind with them (real busy RW).

However, from what I've gathered from the 5e discussions, 'The Sundering' has been an on-going event, from the time of the ToT to a few after the 4e 1479DR start date (at the very least - it could have had its roots MUCH further back, and continue significantly forward). That means both the ToT and the Sellplague were just events within a greater, on-going event, and I think when Ed references stuff in that manner, he's probably talking about the greater overall event, but simply couching it in terns we are more likely to recognize.

So, in other words, just because we knew about the Spellplage as something that occurred between the death of Mystra (which one? ) and some time at the beginning of 4e, we don't have an exact start date for the greater event, and since the ToT seems to be the triggering event for the Spellplague itself, then I don't really see the earlier dates being applied to the Spellplague term a big problem. Think of 1358 DR as the 'prologue' to the rest of the story... a story which hasn't been finished yet.

EDIT:
Seriously - just how different was the ToT and the first death of Mystra from the second death of Mystra? The magical chaos seems about the same, it's just that it lasted longer (so the degradation got SO mush worse), and the powers that may have still been 'holding it all together' (Ao, Helm, the Chosen, maybe even Lurue, etc) during the ToT couldn't after her 'second death' (for whatever reason - that story still remains unfinished as well).

Like I said, I am starting to see the whole enchilada - 1e/2e/3e and on into 4e as one, big, RSE that has been 'many milenia in the making'. 'Spellplague' is like 'magical chaos' - its just a mortal term for the havoc caused by these cosmological events. The published Realms was just us getting a zoomed-in view of a small slice of Torillian history - we need to step back and see the bigger picture, me thinks.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Nov 2013 15:14:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2013 :  16:39:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

EDIT:
Seriously - just how different was the ToT and the first death of Mystra from the second death of Mystra? The magical chaos seems about the same, it's just that it lasted longer (so the degradation got SO mush worse), and the powers that may have still been 'holding it all together' (Ao, Helm, the Chosen, maybe even Lurue, etc) during the ToT couldn't after her 'second death' (for whatever reason - that story still remains unfinished as well).

Well, we didn't get planar rearrangement and continental swaps during the Time of Troubles. Halruaa didn't blow up during the ToT, mages didn't go crazy, people didn't develop spellscars... Etc. The scope of changes caused by the Spellplague far exceeded the scope of changes caused by the ToT, by orders of magnitude.

It's like comparing that meteor that hit Russia last year to the one that hit Krynn and caused the Cataclysm, though I'd argue that the scope of the difference with the ToT and the Spellplague still exceeds that.

All that said, this really isn't the best thread for that discussion, and I'm wishing I'd held my tongue -- I didn't mean to initiate a tangent, and I'm trying to avoid debating the Spellplague. I know this isn't a debate; just saying that of late, I find it better to keep quiet, as opposed to getting into another debate.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000