Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elminster Reading Order?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  16:35:05  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I have never read any Elminster books (I know, I know...), and I am looking to start in the near future. I have The Annotated Elminster, Elminster In Hell, and Elminster's Daughter. I also have Elminster Must Die. My question is: Should I read the 5 Elminster books, and then move onto the Sage series? How does the Shadow Of The Avatar Trilogy factor into things? I know from descriptions that at least the first book in that series has something to do with Elminster. Should I ensure I read that trilogy in there somewhere?

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  16:39:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

So I have never read any Elminster books (I know, I know...), and I am looking to start in the near future. I have The Annotated Elminster, Elminster In Hell, and Elminster's Daughter. I also have Elminster Must Die. My question is: Should I read the 5 Elminster books, and then move onto the Sage series? How does the Shadow Of The Avatar Trilogy factor into things? I know from descriptions that at least the first book in that series has something to do with Elminster. Should I ensure I read that trilogy in there somewhere?

I just did that awhile back....and factored the Shadow of the Avater trilogy as well as Spellfire, which he played a decent sized role ....then read them all in "order"...ill hunt that up later and share with you, unless another scribes answers first.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  16:45:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't find it where i thought i left it.....Sage, your becoming contagious!

I think the Shadow of the Avatar series is read right before Elminster in Hell, just after Annotated Elminster(which is three novels right?)

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  16:47:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
here we go:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14457&SearchTerms=elminster

And The Best of the Realms, Book II: The Stories of Ed Greenwood, which has most of Ed's published Realms short stories, alot of Elminster there and The classic short story Elminster at the Magefair which is in Realms of Valor and maybe The Best of the Realms, Book I

I have no clue on timimg of the short stories!

So:

Spellfire(shandril) Saga
Crown of Fire
Hand of Fire
Elminster : Making of a Mage
Elminster in Myth Drannor
Temptation of Elminster
Shadows of the Avater trilogy?
Elminster in Hell
Elminsters Daughter
Elminster Must Die!
Bury Elminster Deep
Elminster Enraged

Short stories...somewhere in there

Edited by - The Red Walker on 05 Sep 2012 16:56:32
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  17:00:37  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link! Yes, Annotated is the first three books. I forgot about Shandril's Saga. I have those books as well!
Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  18:03:08  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a doubt, I´m about to read Elminster´s daughter, but it comes after Elminster in Hell?

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  20:52:40  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does come after Elminster in Hell, but its a really self-contained story so it doesn't really matter much when you read it I think.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  22:41:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Each book in the Elminster pentad is self-contained. Only the Sage series follows a mega-plot.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000