Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Sundering, What comes next?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  16:30:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So now we know that the six novels are due to be released starting Aug 13 with Bob Salvatore's The Companions, with a two month interval between each subsiquent release. The series wraps up rough July 2014.

This brings two questions to my mind.

1. Are these the only Realms novels that will be released during this 12 month period? I would assume so, but if not?

2. What comes after? I will be very interested to see which author gets the slot following Ed's The Herald. It's a brave new world, I just wonder who will get to take the first steps. There are many directions to take. Waterdeep or Baldur's Gate? Big, well known places to draw the eye and easy to have characters doing things that dont have a RSE anywhere in sight.

Or, and this is my hope, do we get to see an author unemcumbered...allowed to take the road less traveled and take us somewhere we've always wanted to go, but with our busy schedules planned around the latest upheaval...never had the time or chance to go? I'm sure you all have ideas....I sure do.

With two full years until The Sundering concludes(the nvels that is), it seems like an eternity to plan and prepare for this small journey. But if you think about it....one day very, very soon. One of our beloved scribes is going to have to start planning and packing for this journey. I just can not help being just a bit jealous of how that will feel for them. Pressure, sure...loads of it, a full packs worth. Also though, freedom. Enough of that to make the other burdens fall away(at least until that first deadline looms large)

Where will this scribe take us? I do not know.

I am just sure that I want to go.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  22:18:54  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to imagine that there will be more novels scattered in between the 6 Sundering novels. They have been averaging about 12-14 Realms novels a year I believe....someone please fact check me on this. I do know it has been about one book a month. I have to imagine that they will keep this pace up...at least I hope they do.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  10:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well RAS does have a contract for 6 books. It was signed either during or after Guantylgrym. He's completed 2. And the 2 coming(4th in Neverwinter series and first in The Sundering) that leaves 2 more.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  12:30:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Book V to Richard's BotG series is coming out on Feb 2013. Since the series, as I understand, will comprise at least 6 novels, then I suppose Book VI will be set in 5E, probably to be released early 2014.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  13:41:25  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it was mentioned that other novels will parallel these. They won't be numerous in number, but there nevertheless. I don't have any more information than that.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  13:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The current storyline in The Brotherhood of the Griffon (the Rashemen story) will conclude in Book V, Prophet of the Dead, which is coming out in February, 2013. I will then turn my attention to the Sundering. But the Brotherhood will return in new adventures. I just can't give you a release date for the first of those as yet.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  18:26:03  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly hope the amount of books released in the next year slows down and a real focus is placed on making quality stories that support this notion of getting the realms back on track.

Richard, will we see any of your previous characters return in The Reaver? What are the chances that you will continue to have 2 FR books released a year?
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  19:14:44  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

I honestly hope the amount of books released in the next year slows down and a real focus is placed on making quality stories that support this notion of getting the realms back on track.

Richard, will we see any of your previous characters return in The Reaver? What are the chances that you will continue to have 2 FR books released a year?

Personally, I think the novels they have been releasing are quality stories. I hope that they keep up the current release rate.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  19:44:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, jornan. My current plan doesn't call for any of my already established characters to appear in The Reaver. But I could decide that somebody should show up while I'm in the process of writing it.

I don't know about me continuing to do two Realms novels per year. I'm certainly amenable, but WotC hasn't decided how they want to schedule me post-Reaver. Or if they have, they haven't shared that info with me yet.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  22:30:09  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Richard. I would be very dissapointed if we have to wait too far into 2014 for a new Aoth book.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2012 :  16:50:36  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not really sure what to expect from The Sundering event.

Will Toril go back to how it was pre-Spellplague and these past 100 years will be erased? I really wouldn't like that.

Will Toril and Abeir become separated once again, but the current timeline continues? I'd prefer this option (even though I actually like the post-Spellplague world).

Though, what's really important for me is that we continue to get good stories set in the Forgotten Realms.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  13:41:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be perfectly honest I am not sure if the realms is ready for another big change , but as it is already underway I will try to remain sanguine about the future. Hoping for some imaginative new novels.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  16:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Tanthalas: Toril and Abeir will separate again, and the current timeline will continue. There is no retcon, no reboot (unless you consider this a reboot)--all of the lore and events that happened, happened. If fans advocate for it, we will also get non-current stories (i.e. novels set in other parts of the timeline, be it pre-ToT, during the Era of Upheaval, or whenever). Game products are already moving to encompass various timelines.

@Thauranil: I don't know if it's so much a big change as a return to capture the spirit of the Realms as it has existed and evolved since the beginning.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  17:45:00  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Erik Scott de Bie

Yeah, I was getting ahead of myself. As long as the current timeline continues I don't have any problem the The Sundering event.

As for novels in past timelines, I thought that has always been an option for authors?

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  20:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

@Erik Scott de Bie

Yeah, I was getting ahead of myself. As long as the current timeline continues I don't have any problem the The Sundering event.
That's the current plan.

quote:
As for novels in past timelines, I thought that has always been an option for authors?
It has, but I'm hoping that moving forward, with WotC's emphasis on small-scale, personal stories (no less exciting than the big RSE stories, but with less major modification of the setting), it'll encourage more stories from across the grand history of the Realms.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  09:07:44  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love books about the Crown Wars, or ancient Dwarven clans.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  14:20:32  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would second the request for a Realms Dwarf Sourcebook and for someone to give Dwarves the same treatment in a novel or three that Elaine gave to Elves
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  15:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas
[quote]As for novels in past timelines, I thought that has always been an option for authors?
It has, but I'm hoping that moving forward, with WotC's emphasis on small-scale, personal stories (no less exciting than the big RSE stories, but with less major modification of the setting), it'll encourage more stories from across the grand history of the Realms.

Cheers

Perhaps an option that would please those who want stories set in the past (such as myself) and those who want the RSE type stories while maintaining the new focus on character is to set stories during past RSEs that have received little coverage in the novels. That way you get the stories about the past, the big moving and shaking (that doesn't impact the "current" point, barring something having an impact way in the future like an artifact being "lost" in a past setting story suddenly being found in the "current" time) that people want from the RSEs, and personal level stories about either the people that did the moving and shaking or those who lived through them (or maybe didn't survive until the end).

I think this would work for something like the Crown Wars, or the fall of Netheril, or the fall of Imaskar (or how about an entire series called "the fall" focusing on the many fallen civilizations in FR history), or maybe even the Manshoon Wars. It could also help to fill in the 100 year gap.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36787 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  16:42:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBestwick

I would second the request for a Realms Dwarf Sourcebook and for someone to give Dwarves the same treatment in a novel or three that Elaine gave to Elves

Or at the very least, some short stories.

Seriously, though, I'd love to see more on the dwarves, beyond the taste we got with Dwarves Deep. Dwarves are one of my fave races.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  01:48:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Or at the very least, some short stories.

Seriously, though, I'd love to see more on the dwarves, beyond the taste we got with Dwarves Deep. Dwarves are one of my fave races.

Dwarves and gnomes. They're among my favourite D&D races -- and I think the Realms could really benefit from an anthology that focuses on these races, just like the DRAGONLANCE Saga did with Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Gnomes.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  02:19:00  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*whistles*
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  06:04:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Blood War definitely deserves its own trilogy too, if not sextet. One of the most important and reality-altering events in the history of the multiverse, yet hardly given enough focus it so deserves. Yes, we have sourcebooks dealing with some of its essential aspects, but I don't find them sufficient.

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  15:08:11  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they start novels on the Blood War they are going to have to start to the beginning right until when Asmodeus hurled the Abyss to the bottom of the Elemental Chaos.

From what i have watched, the videos about the sundering on youtube, on the dnd channel, apparently they are going to separate abeir and toril again so maybe we will see Mulhorand, Unther and possibly Maztica back? I do hope they try some way to keep the dragonborn and genasi though.

Even the tablets of fate are coming back, if you guys have seen the video apparently Ao is restoring them so maybe a new goddess and or god of magic will return?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36787 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  15:52:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

If they start novels on the Blood War they are going to have to start to the beginning right until when Asmodeus hurled the Abyss to the bottom of the Elemental Chaos.

Not necessarily. They could focus on a newly-created unit being thrown into the fighting, and eventually becoming special forces, or something like that.

The Blood War has gone on for far too long to start at the beginning, and with millenia of back and forth, any gains by one side or the other are prolly short-lived and relatively meaningless. So focusing on a small group during a short timespan would work quite well.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  16:22:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which is fine, since, as I understand, WotC plans to implement a multi-era approach in the novels.

Edited by - Dennis on 31 Aug 2012 16:32:13
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  16:27:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They could focus on a newly-created unit being thrown into the fighting, and eventually becoming special forces, or something like that.
Yes, they could. But I don't exactly agree. To understand how and why the war started in the first place, it would be better to see how its primary actors planned and began putting that plan into action...right from the very beginning.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36787 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  18:05:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

They could focus on a newly-created unit being thrown into the fighting, and eventually becoming special forces, or something like that.
Yes, they could. But I don't exactly agree. To understand how and why the war started in the first place, it would be better to see how its primary actors planned and began putting that plan into action...right from the very beginning.

You could do that as backstory or a flashback. You don't need to go back to before recorded history to tell a story about soemthing happening today.

We understand drow, but we've never had novels focused on the Crown Wars or the Descent.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  19:21:11  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, but it would be cool if we did.

Personally, though, I'd rather see one set in the war that tore Telantiwar apart. That seems to be the real pivotal moment for the culture that the drow would later replicate, and it's hard to argue with drama that can literally bring down the roof.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  23:12:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You could do that as backstory or a flashback. You don't need to go back to before recorded history to tell a story about soemthing happening today.
No, we don't. But it would still be far more interesting if we do. Flashbacks cannot do that much, and hardly provide any meat to the story.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  01:56:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

No, we don't. But it would still be far more interesting if we do. Flashbacks cannot do that much, and hardly provide any meat to the story.

I disagree. Worthwhile flashback scenes are dependent upon how they are written, and what, exactly, they focus on. And, also, flashback scenes depend on where they take place in the greater narrative.

They can serve to really underline the particular historical importance of a moment if the flashback scene is perfectly timed within the context of the "current" narrative taking place. That emphasis adds far more depth to any story than those without such scenes playing out.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  02:17:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nah, the limited scope of flashbacks would just have the readers scream, "Write a damn prequel!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000