Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Female Realms Heroes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  01:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

@Sage re: Wonder Woman: My concern is thus. Having Diana not have to be born of a man is a really cool feminist statement. It says that women don't really need men in order to have what they want in life. The new origin says the opposite: as awesome as the Amazons are, they still can't be happy without a man's seed, as it were. Which is a problematic statement.
I don't see it as problematic in any way, if anything it's closer to truth than how male heroes are portrayed. That in my mind is the bigger misconception, that men don't need women or anyone's help.
It's not problematic regarding supporting characters--she has plenty of those. It's the gender politics of the past vs. the retcon.

The problem comes in that Wonder Woman was something unique in comics: she was a female character who was not dependent or reliant on a male character. She was conceived by the queen without a man and raised/trained by the Amazons--no men involved.

Men weren't in her backstory, they weren't part of her motivation. If she romanced a man, that was by her choice, and she was always the one with the power (just like vice versa with every male superhero you can name). She could exist on her own as a woman without having to lean on any man, the way a lot of (most, actually) male superheroes are allowed to exist without having to lean on any woman. No men involved.

This is not to say that she was without supporting characters. Wonder Woman had dozens of extremely powerful and effective role models who shaped her into what she was. The thing is, they were all women. Hippolyta, Artemis, the other Amazons, etc. No men involved.

Now, though, not only is a man (Zeus) retconned into Wonder Woman's history, but he's VASTLY superior to her and to her mother. Why is Wonder Woman powerful? Because she's the daughter of a god. Her power comes from a man. And no matter how awesome she becomes, she's still operating in the shadow of that divine MAN.

That seems to . . . lessen Wonder Woman, I think. The pinnacle of the empowered woman is now reduced to being just a derivative of a man.

And also it's a shame, because there was SO MUCH POTENTIAL for a cooler backstory. Make Wonder Woman the daughter of Hippolyta and Athena, for instance. How awesome would that be?

But this isn't a Realms discussion. If we want to keep talking about Wonder Woman, let's do it on facebook or something outside Candlekeep.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  02:33:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

A pity I can’t read comics, I did rather like the character and it would be interesting to see what they’ve don with her. I doubt they gave her scale mail though.

Most of the time, Sonja still wears the chainmail armour bikini, but the various artists who have worked on the book over the years have also played around with new costume types.

Not to mention her role in Queen Sonja which has her regularly wearing various royal and formal attire.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  02:33:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

As a note- just my two cents, mind- Red sonya very rarely teams with or relies on anyone else, at least in the comics.
That's true.

And it's one of the reasons why I'm currently buying both the Red Sonja and Queen Sonja comic books from Dynamite Entertainment. Divorced from her previously poorly crafted renditions by earlier publishers, this version of Red Sonja has now been fully realised as a character in her own right.

I'm loving the exploration of her character from various points in her history -- from infancy right to the point where she takes the throne and beyond. Awesome stuff!

I don't know enough about Sonja...what does she become queen of?

The Frozen Wastes region. And the book spends a great deal of time delving into the history of the realm, which is another aspect of the series that I enjoy as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2012 :  05:56:53  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup! She does indeed- on both counts. That is, being Queen of the Frozen Wastes, and wearing mostly the chain-mail bikini, with the occasional royal gown and such. Though, for my part, I always thought the "chain-mail" always looked more like scale or even coin-mail. At least in the comic art.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  23:37:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In The Wise Man's Fear, females are generally seen as superior to men, particularly the Ademre warriors. The Ademre are fierce fighters, and their martial arts, Ketan (which is like a combination of Yoga and various Chinese martial arts), is rooted in control. Since men are generally impetuous, it's the women who usually master this art. Even their leaders are mostly women. If not for their "backward" thinking and hypocrisy, I might have liked them.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000