Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Female Realms Heroes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  21:57:09  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

2) As I said, it's been done. Read Carey's books. I'd rather our stories about heroines be differentiated from something that's already been covered.

Although the bit in those books that takes part in an actual harem (a good chunk of Kushiel's Avatar should probably be read in broad daylight, with a bunch of pictures of cute animals or a good dose of brain-bleach available. This is not some "gorgeous women lounging about in various state of undress being sexy" harem we're talking about, but all-out nightmare fuel.

And bloody well written nightmare fuel at that - I still skip certain parts of it during re-read, though. Because it's that well done!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  22:02:40  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I'm not a fan of the harem idea, either, but if I had to read a story set in one, I'd want it to be about something like the power-struggles in the harems of the Ottoman Sultans (yes, there were two - after a while the women were transferred to one a bit away from the palace where they spent their time weaving and doing other "womanly" chores until the sultan, or whoever was really in charge, could find someone to marry them off to) with plenty of back-stabbing and application of the silk-cord to one's siblings during the succession-season.

Not sure it'd have enough action (until the above-mentioned explosion of fratricide) to be the kind of story Wizards want though.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  22:45:02  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we're aiming too mature with this harem angle. Why are we so stuck on that concept anyway?
WotC market for D&D/FR books includes a great number of teenagers. I read D&D novels before LotR and they were my introduction to fantasy in middle school. Even if they decided to use the harem idea as a focus, the authors would be forced to gloss over the more interesting and mature aspects.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  22:58:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was suggestion. We aren't stuck on it. I'd be more then willing to hear other ideas and work from there.

The point is, if you put together an 'all girl squad', then there has to be a reason for it, otherwise it feels contrived. For example, if a dragon is about to attack a city, why are only females 'responding to the call'? Or an Orc horde, or Uber-baddie, or giant squid, etc.

WHY are they girl-only? Give me another deus ex machina and we can run with it (perhaps some ancient magic that only females can handle? That sounds too Goddess/Pagan/WoT to me).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Sep 2012 22:59:40
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  23:13:00  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are some adventuring parties all male? Aside from the token love interest. (Not sure if any FR novels are setup like this, but theoretically it's possible.)

The same could apply to a female party, all female heroes with a token male love interest who makes appearances here and there but isn't the focus of the story. There could be other parties, either all male or not, also responding to the conflict, but the story is focused on this particular team.

I think it's just as contrived to have an all female team go after a harem situation. Why not send in some male support in that case? There is nothing inherent in the harem concept that makes it female only, just that females may be helpful in the situation. A harem story could still focus on male characters with the token female to help them, and this is how the situation unfolds in many stories.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  23:54:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Right, and in almost every instance we have a female hero interacting with a GROUP of male heroes/villains. The female is the 'token', in most cases.

The obvious exception being the Suarials books - Olive and Alias were both main characters, and the 'male' wasn't even remotely human.

I just had thought: What if Filfarril (who has a lot of 'unknowns' in her background) created clones of her two daughters at an early age? Considering her affiliations (The Harpers and The Chosen, etc), she could have done this without Azoun of Vangerdehast knowing (she may have done this as reaction to her son's death). Then, during the whole devil dragon/Ghazneth affair, these disappeared (there was scene in which vangerdehast found the 'genetic material' of the royals ruined, so they couldn't be brought back, so someone was obviously busy destroying all such contingencies). Filfaeril and whomever helped her create the clones) would have been aware of their disappearance, but she would have been afraid to tell Vangy and Azoun about them (for several reasons - their very existence creates all sorts of problems in terms of inheritance).

Thus, we have two young princesses - who most of us would love see brought back - being found by someone and sold into the slave market. Somehow, the heroes catch wind of all this (Filfaeril incorporated some sort of alarm contingency if the clones ever awoke?), and a 'secret mission' is underway to get them back. This could be set-up in almost any era following Azoun's death (which allows us to incorporate most of the Realms characters).

If its set in the 4e/5e era, I wonder how Alusair's ghost would feel about meeting her younger self, very much alive?

No way you read all those books and determined that....if you did you missed the story on 75% of them. Arilyn was those books....without her they don't work. Dan is her arm candy, sure he's more interesting than most, but you can cut him right out.. chosen of Nendawen is all about Hweilen...I'll stop there and I guess we will just agree to disagree.

I've never got the sense any of those female characters I mentioned were held back in any way by gender that wasn't balanced by things held against the males as well. The diversity and celebration of women in the realms is unprecedented in fiction of any type I know of. The cover art sadly lags behind the truth of the world inside. The realms is diverse....it just hasn't been marketed that way. Why not. Up until recently that was the only way to sell it in their eyes. I see a need for a shift in marketing focus, much more so than content, which just needs a tweak in focus..
This women not getting to do cool things like the guys in the realms could be just some pc guilt trip a bunch of white mid- young to old white dudes are on cause they juabe controlled the whole gaming arena, books, pen and paper games, video games all of it....Forever. Take the initiative, what ever the cause and fix it. The powers that be need to search out more women and minority writers. It really could be that simple. There are many more than in the past, but still too few. whatever the motivation, they need to use their new found proprieties and make change for real, with who's writing the stuff!

Why the heck hasn't Brian Cortijo been tasked to write a novel yet? is he not light enough? Too masculine? Too short? Too different? Cant have another writer with facial hair? Hair is too dark? Hair is too short?He sure didn't fit the "mold" of the writers I know the looks of. Damned if I know why he's not on his third or forth novel by now?

Why is only one of six of the Sundering novels written by a woman? No minorities either....just sayin'....

I've read some ideas from some female realms fans. It's good stuff, as good as anyones.....give them a chance too.

It doesn't look good. Here comes the new era of the realms ....led by 5 older white guys. and a real live woman......in the middle somewhere
They are missing a chance. They are just fixing the realms...they could have taken a chance and fixed so much more.

Now that everything realms goes thru Ed, here's hoping that means choosing new authors too. that would change the game in a hurry.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 04 Sep 2012 23:55:20
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  00:05:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only just started reading Harper novels since Gencon. I started with Elfsong - I barely saw Arilyn (near the beginning, and then she was gone). I actually have no idea who she is.

I suppose we can surmise that our view of the Realms is 'tainted' by what we have read. When I first started reading Realms novels, I thought the whole setting was about Celtic stuff and Drow. Then I read a Harper novel - Red Magic - and decided anything to do with Harpers was utter crap. Its taken me this long to change that opinion (changed by Ed, who kept sneaking them in all over the place in his non-Harper novels).

And you can pretty-much write Catti-Brie out of all the Drizzt novels. She's little more then a 'trophy' in those books. Like I said, opinions are formed based on the order in which your read stuff.

As for why only one of the sundering authors is female - probably because the genre is predominately male-authored. I would gladly replace one of them with Elaine Cunningham. I'd also suggest Christie Golden as another, just to balance things (although I can't think of a second one I'd replace).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Sep 2012 00:10:24
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  02:40:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I have only just started reading Harper novels since Gencon. I started with Elfsong - I barely saw Arilyn (near the beginning, and then she was gone). I actually have no idea who she is.

I suppose we can surmise that our view of the Realms is 'tainted' by what we have read. When I first started reading Realms novels, I thought the whole setting was about Celtic stuff and Drow. Then I read a Harper novel - Red Magic - and decided anything to do with Harpers was utter crap. Its taken me this long to change that opinion (changed by Ed, who kept sneaking them in all over the place in his non-Harper novels).

And you can pretty-much write Catti-Brie out of all the Drizzt novels. She's little more then a 'trophy' in those books. Like I said, opinions are formed based on the order in which your read stuff.

As for why only one of the sundering authors is female - probably because the genre is predominately male-authored. I would gladly replace one of them with Elaine Cunningham. I'd also suggest Christie Golden as another, just to balance things (although I can't think of a second one I'd replace).

I've read e dry novel except about 1/3 of the post spell plague. Im not claiming to know more than anyone about them....but when I go back and think about them....many many would be nothing without their strong femal lead. Now, they could have been written as a male character and most would have worked.....but that what we really want right???

Stories that are good regardless of gender of the characters.....although a lot of these great females come from the pen of Elaine Cunningham.

That's what the realms really needs.

Elaine

I like Christie Golden too.....one of her Ravenloft novels reminded me so much of Elaine....Christie would be great,to have in the realms.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  03:38:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I like Christie Golden too.....one of her Ravenloft novels reminded me so much of Elaine....Christie would be great,to have in the realms.

You're probably thinking of Dance of the Dead. Or was it Vampire of the Mists?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  03:39:55  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine would have been a nice addition to the Sundering Six (Seven) because she's written so many novels and characters in the Realms. Wasn't she thinking about a new story for the 4E era focused on Elaith's daughter?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  04:14:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

You're probably thinking of Dance of the Dead. Or was it Vampire of the Mists?

Both to some extent, but was thinking of Dance of the Dead when I posted.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  04:16:29  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Elaine would have been a nice addition to the Sundering Six (Seven) because she's written so many novels and characters in the Realms. Wasn't she thinking about a new story for the 4E era focused on Elaith's daughter?

The Serpent's Daughter ......I think it's on hold??? I can't find any info on it.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  05:07:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't read her Ravenloft novels, but judging by her Warcraft books, particularly Arthas, I'd rather not have her in the Realms. She sticks to the lore, yes, but she does so too much that the story looks like a chaotically fragmented pieces of a biography barely sewn together.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  05:09:38  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Serpent's Daughter ......I think it's on hold??? I can't find any info on it.

That's the one.

I hope the recent stirrings from WotC regarding the Realms, with more receptive management and the participation of Ed and other collaborative scribes, also eventually brings Elaine back for more novels.

Even I feel like writing stories after this thread and I haven't done so for years in any setting. Perhaps it's time to scrub the rust away with some much needed practice.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  05:11:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was actually expecting her to be part of that project. It kinda sounds right that "veteran" authors are tasked to set some things right for the next look of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  08:48:27  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the harem. What if it was a reverse harem.
Consider this as possible plot hook:
A powerful, influential female - notorious for her oppression and callous disregard for males - passes a working class male by. She points to him and orders her assistant/adviser "I want that one for my collection" A day later he is seized by her guards and taken to her palace/mansion/estate. There he joins a group of other males as, basically, ornaments. They are kept sedated by magical means or drugs and are kept lounging on pillows around the woman's throne and audience chamber. The female interest of the male whom was taken decides that this doesn't sit well with her, and she sets of on a quest of to rescue her love and take revenge for taken him away.
The powerful female could be a drow, and she could take a human or harem.

I feel this story may have been told before, not necessarily in the realms, but it's to illustrate the reverse harem idea.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  08:50:06  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

I haven't read her Ravenloft novels, but judging by her Warcraft books, particularly Arthas, I'd rather not have her in the Realms. She sticks to the lore, yes, but she does so too much that the story looks like a chaotically fragmented pieces of a biography barely sewn together.

This.

I haven't read any Ravenloft or Star Wars from her, but the reviews I've read weren't very flattering.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106

Edited by - LastStand on 05 Sep 2012 08:51:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  09:09:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

quote:

quote:

This.

I haven't read any Ravenloft or Star Wars from her, but the reviews I've read weren't very flattering.

Eh. I don't often let reviews determine whether or not I'll read a particular novel or a particular writer's work.

Having said that, I've greatly enjoyed Golden's books for both RAVENLOFT and STAR WARS. They're among my many re-reads for both universes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  09:12:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny, I loved Lord of the Clans (its a sad story, but a good one). Then again, I am an orc-lover.

She's also written a couple of Realms short stories. Its strange that someone who is known to 'stick to canon' wouldn't be welcome by Realms fans.

To each his own.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Sep 2012 09:14:03
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  10:23:55  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ve not read Chirste Goldens Ravenloft books but her star wars novels were very good. She was a good choice to replace Karen Traviss who never really fit in, what with the constant jedi bashing and what not.

Edited by - Thauranil on 05 Sep 2012 10:25:17
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  13:35:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only read Christie Golden's short stories in various Realms of anthologies, and those were pretty darn good.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  20:16:17  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

quote:

quote:

This.

Eh. I don't often let reviews determine whether or not I'll read a particular novel or a particular writer's work.

Having said that, I've greatly enjoyed Golden's books for both RAVENLOFT and STAR WARS. They're among my many re-reads for both universes.

True enough. Like I said I haven't read any of her SW or Ravenloft, she may have some good stuff. I tend to let the writing speak and not the reviews, however if the book receives a lot of negetive reviews, I admit that I can't help but have reservations going into it.
Just to clarify. It's not that I haven't read her books because of bad reviews, just haven't had the opportunity to read them yet...and it's not like I've read the reviews of every one of her books - I may just have stumbled upon the books that didn't receive much love by chance.
The Warcraft books I have read didn't work for me though.

~ Claymore ch106

Edited by - LastStand on 05 Sep 2012 20:24:37
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  20:19:08  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the possibility that Alias would have survived the stupid time jump. Flattery and Finder were semi-imortal, so all the Alias clones could be alive, including Cat. (And if there is a god, the Wyvern's Spur and the use of the Finder's Stone made Giogi Wyvernspur survive too. I can dream, right?)
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  15:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why the heck hasn't Brian Cortijo been tasked to write a novel yet? is he not light enough? Too masculine? Too short? Too different? Cant have another writer with facial hair? Hair is too dark? Hair is too short?He sure didn't fit the "mold" of the writers I know the looks of. Damned if I know why he's not on his third or forth novel by now?
I am beyond flattered.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  03:10:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Usually, I don't. But when there's TOO MANY screaming about the same thing? That's when I pause...Often, there's truth in numbers.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  13:45:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
I am beyond flattered.

Well my wife says I could use a "filter"....I tend to say just what I'm thinking. I'm sure I could have PC'd that a bit and made it more polished....but that's what I think.

The only Realms novels I've not finished or read were doue to the wrtier/writing(in my opinion....they were also all post spellplague, but as i have enjoyed most novels since then, it's not due to my dislike of the changes to faerun)....so the main flaw for me post spellplague was how authors were choose. So if I was in charge I would have choose you instead of one of the two that I felt didn't fit the realms(imho)....so if I'm wrong, WotC can fire me as a reader. As it was, I was redeuced to "part time"....luckily for me with the Sundering news....It actually looks like they want me back as a full time reader, with lots of overtime.

And maybe I'm biased or not. But damn it I wanna read what your voice has to say about Cormyr........or as your short in When the Hero Comes Home showed me, anywhere else you want to set a story.

P.S. I know your a patient guy, but you've had to say to yourself "if not now, when?"

Edited by - The Red Walker on 07 Sep 2012 13:49:10
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  13:46:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Usually, I don't. But when there's TOO MANY screaming about the same thing? That's when I pause...Often, there's truth in numbers.

Except when the lead lemmings are running off of a cliff and you can't see that til it's too late

No matter the reviews, I always try to read the back cover(or wherever they put it) blurb and a sample if offered, which Amazon usually does.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 07 Sep 2012 13:47:49
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  15:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of female heroes: for the record, anytime Ed and I get the chance to write that Storm Silverhand/Fox-at-Twilight crossover story, you'll be the first to know.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  15:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of female heroes: for the record, anytime Ed and I get the chance to write that Storm Silverhand/Fox-at-Twilight crossover story, you'll be the first to know.

Cheers
Lies! I'll hear you two giggling from here in Brooklyn...
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  16:11:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

How about a bi-monthly serial? I have a feeling we'd never get enough of that pairing. Maybe 'fox had sometime training with Storm to pursue her love of singing.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000