Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Demons, Devils, and the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  09:08:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great post Edain. I thorough enjoy any tales you relate of the adventures of Shadowstar...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  12:48:07  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I make use of demons and devils (and my players know the difference), however, I typically only use them as lackies and summoned servants of more powerful beings.

To me, FR contains so many super powers that demons and devils would find it hard to really thrive in that material realm. Most archwizards and powerful clerics could bring even a pit fiend under their heel with a few spells, not to mention the undeinable power of creatures such as the phaerimm and dracoliches.

I had my group battle a pit fiend once in the recent past. It was serving an epic-level vampire blood magus. When the PCs finally face Vlaakith the Lich-Queen, maybe I'll throw Belzemmir at them: a cournugon rogue5/fighter4 with improved whirlwind attack and blinding speed.

I don't have demons and devils ruling nations (except for that pit fiend who has a hold on Scyllua). They're bodyguards and servants.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  14:51:38  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those yugoloths what are there deal they are ne if am not mistaken.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  17:29:14  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Few Elves who took part in the Weeping War will ever forgot the word yugoloth, that is if any of them still lived. Ironic that though the City of Song outlived the glutenous Empire of Netheril, it was the Netherse, whom we cursed for their short-sightedness and wasteful ways, who would seal our doom. But, I digress; yugoloths are arguably the smartest fiends in all the Outer Planes, and also the most secretive. A truely dangerous combination. Take this advice from someone who has spent a fiar amount of time around yugoloths, your best bet in life is to simply never make them aware of your presence. Do not hire them, fight them, make them mad, or anything else that would hint you exist int he same multiverse as them. You see a yugoloth never forgets.

Yes, yugoloths are the Neutral Evil fiend in the Lower Planes. Essentially yugoloths are the mercenaries of the Lower Planes, fighting on all sides of the Blood War, for the baatezu, tanar'ri, others, or themselves. They are somewhat enigmatic, but do form into a fairly rigid hierarchy like most fiends. Really anyone with something a yugoloth wants can retain their services, but be careful as most of the more powerful yugoloths are twice as smart as the smartest of tanar'ri or baatezu (except for the Lords of the Nine and others of the like). If you are really interested in yugoloths you will have to check out some old Planescape procucts, as they have the best information about the lives, habits, society, sociology, and homes of the yugoloths, baatezu, and tanar'ri. Yugoloths in particular are not well detailed in other products outside the Planescape family mainly because they are the least likely to come to the Prime Material. In general they work in the Outer Planes, laregly meddling with the Blood War.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 29 Jan 2004 19:09:37
Go to Top of Page

Jacinth Greyfox
Acolyte

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  18:55:14  Show Profile  Visit Jacinth Greyfox's Homepage Send Jacinth Greyfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Edain, I think Planescape made clear in the grand scheme of things our Prime material Plane (one of many worlds) is insignificant to the most powerful Fiends not even worth opening up as a diversionary front. As far as they are concerned the lower planes are the centre of the Multiverse. Which is why many of the more ahem .."exotic" Fiends will never be encountered in Faerun.

In my FR games i tended to avoid the Heartlands and concentrated my adventures in the North pre-Silver Marches. As a consequence over confident players tended to develop an unhealthy interst in Hellgate Keep. Very Unhealthy ....

Also i certainly never used Fiends as wandering monsters or casual encounters they were always placed carefully in adventures.

The Throne or the Tomb!

Edited by - Jacinth Greyfox on 29 Jan 2004 18:58:58
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  00:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not to nagg but it has ben a long time now shadowlord...
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  02:11:43  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After beginning to read Eliminster in Hell, (which to us, appears like it's going to be a hard read mostly because we'll get fed up with it and put it down... only to pick it up again later cause there be nothing else to read, and get fed up and put it down, then go back... tis a vicious cycle). Anyways, to return to my main point, It appears that there have been quite the collection of ancient Devil Lords (archdevils) that have ruled various layers in the Nine Hells. Illustrious names such as Lucifer, Lucifuge, Malbolge, Batna just to name the few. This therefore raises the question. The offspring of a Archdevil and another archdevil, seems to cause Asmodeus no end of worry. The question is, Why does such offspring terrify the Lord of the Nine so? A threat of greater power that could destroy the Lord of the Nine himself? A few of the names seem to only strengthen some facts in the BoVD. An interesting turn of events...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  04:34:00  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cardinal, Lucifer, Lucifuge, Malbolge, Batna aren't rulers of the Nine Hells. The current rulers of the Nine Hells are: Dispater, Mephistopheles, Mammon, Asmodeus, Baalzebul, Geryon, Moloch, Belial, and one more person that I forgot.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  05:18:47  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although we did slip up earlier, we said no such thing that these are now current rulers of the Nine Hells, forgive us if that's how it came across. We shall explain, such names ( more specifically Lucifer) has been mentioned that was a former lord of the Pit (of sorts). For producing offspring with afforementioned Batna, upon another plane, with out direction of Asmodeus, and for treason (at least appearently), Lucifer and Batna were appearently consumed. as for their offspring (Unknown). We believe twas mentioned it twas destroyed. Current Rulers of the Nine hells are as follows (plus a VERY brief history of the lords):
Bel (former lord of the First Zariel, is whispered to be imprisoned somewhere in the Bronze Citadel as Bel siphons power from her)
Dispater Lord of the Second,
Mammon The Lord of the Third,
Lord Belial and Lady Fierna Lords of the Fourth
Prince Levistus, Newly re-instated Lord of the fifth ( Geryon was appearently disposed during the Reckoning, A revolt led against Asmodeus by the other lords, Note Levistus was the former Lord of the Fifth, but was sealed away for transgretions against Asmodeus)
The Hag Countess Lady (?) of the Sixth, (earned the title during the Reckoning, although disposed, Moloch is MIA, plotting revenge likly)
Baalzebul, Lord of the Seventh (once a Archon named Triel)
Mephistopheles, Lord of the Eighth, Lord of Hellfire,
and Asmodeus still reigns as Lord of the Ninth

Anyways, if any one can see errors, then by all means correct us. Even we can have an off day

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  11:59:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, that seems pretty well structured Cardinal, you have apparently covered all the lords...

However -
quote:
Prince Levistus, Newly re-instated Lord of the fifth ( Geryon was appearently disposed during the Reckoning, A revolt led against Asmodeus by the other lords, Note Levistus was the former Lord of the Fifth, but was sealed away for transgretions against Asmodeus)

There has been quite a lot of contention on this point within the PS community ever since these news came to light. I've got to find the relevant post from another forum (so I can post it here) so you can see where some of the issues with Levistus current status have came from...

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  13:24:36  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
was not nergal that child ? since he was the true ruler of hell or so he said
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  17:20:59  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric, every devil in Hell saids he/she is the true ruler of Hell. Lol. Nergal is just a really powerful archdevil. He doesn't have an official position like the Nine Lords.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  08:35:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyric

was not nergal that child ? since he was the true ruler of hell or so he said

No...However should the opportunity for advancement among the hierarchy of the Hells ever come into consideration, Nergal will have a possibility to move into a position of greater power, along with thousands of other archdevils...mind you

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000