Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Imaskar magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  16:56:44  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Just something that got me thinking... Do we know anything about whether or not The Terraseer ever had anything to do with the Imaskari?

I think I read somewhere about him being a sarrukh... Not sure if it was on a canon source, though.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  16:59:19  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

Just something that got me thinking... Do we know anything about whether or not The Terraseer ever had anything to do with the Imaskari?

I think I read somewhere about him being a sarrukh... Not sure if it was on a canon source, though.

Serpent Kingdoms.
Anauroch.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  20:07:50  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the main problem here is that there just isnt enough lore about these more "peripheral" areas of the realms.
I for one would love to learn more about places other than the Sword Coast or Silver Marches.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  21:42:40  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree... Just thought that if he or it approached Netheril, it would seem likely that he also approached Imaskar!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  22:05:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree... Just thought that if he or it approached Netheril, it would seem likely that he also approached Imaskar!

Not necessarily... It could have been purely a matter of proximity. Or it could have been that he saw potential in Netheril, and didn't see it in Imaskar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  22:15:59  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Not necessarily... It could have been purely a matter of proximity. Or it could have been that he saw potential in Netheril, and didn't see it in Imaskar.

I do not see the Terraseer as a person who moved a little, but you might be right ofc. Who knows!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2012 :  11:49:11  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Serpent Kingdoms.
Anauroch.

Thank you, Mr. Boyd. Yesterday I couldn't check my sources.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2012 :  11:54:57  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I think the main problem here is that there just isnt enough lore about these more "peripheral" areas of the realms.
I for one would love to learn more about places other than the Sword Coast or Silver Marches.

The Silver Marches were covered in 3e+, they were more explored exactly because there was just a little published material before. Many areas are open to DM development, and are detailed with time. When I started DMing my campaign in 2e, it was hard to get material about the Savage North... The focus was much more on Cormyr and the Dalelands.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2012 :  18:29:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the Sarrukh had a city very close to Imaskar along the salt flats.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  14:11:15  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where can I learn more on how the Imaskari it their magic from the Fey?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  18:53:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only mention of this AFAIK is in the novel Darkvision, and it is a very oblique reference: The main character finds some ancient pictographs showing what appears to be fey giving an Imaskari Emperor some sort of gift.

And thats all we have.

We have tons of conjecture, though. Spiritfolk (half-fey) come from the east, so its reasonable to assume Kami are/were fey at some point (they are probably not the originals - too many differnt sub-groups of them, just like in the west). Since the Shou Empire was born from the ashes of the Imaskari one, the connections are there, but very tenuous. The original FR Fey (Le'Shay?) probably had their civilization somewhere in or around the region of the Taan (the Hordelands).

So thats it - we have lots of hints buried in FR lore about the fey and the east, and we have one very vague reference that could mean anything.

EDIT: Another connection - Mark Sehestedt's novel Frostfell also points to an important 'fey-connection' in the Taan/Wastes region. Aside from an ancient Archfey he places there, you also have the Lythari (some of whom seem to have the ability to 'sniff out' Gates between Toril and Faerie), and the ancient druidic traditions of the Raumathari (which one would have to assume was part of their original culture before they became part of the Imaskari empire).

So all indications are that the fey once roamed the lands that eventually belonged to Imaskar, but we have very little in the way of 'concrete' lore to that effect.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Aug 2012 19:00:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000