Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 ok 4th ed rule question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stormlord77
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2012 :  02:43:34  Show Profile Send Stormlord77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I KNOW, 4th edition...not really my thing
I HAVE been considering continuing running the realms using the changes of 4th without upgrading the rules

If this is the wrong place for this, feel free to moderator move it to the right place. Sorta new here :P

so with that said, i have a specific question.
alot of demi-gods are now considered exarchs. Currently I am running a cleric of the red knight (formerly LN demi-goddess of strategies, planning and tactics..NOW a LG exarch of Tempus).

so in 4th edition does the cleric of the red knight still receive spells? Does he now get his spells from Tempus through the red knight (a patron saint?) or do exarch not grants spells and this requires a change of diety in 4th?

Thanks in advance

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2012 :  03:52:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am far from being any sort of expert (or even a novice) when it comes to 4e, but I had considered back-porting quite a bit of the lore to a circa 1386 campaign. IIRC, the titles those beings are called by may have changed within the rules structure, but in Faerūn folks would still use the nomenclature they are used to. The rules changes (terminology) only affected us, not the folks of Toril.

So an Exarch is still a demigod, whatever 4e likes to call them, and therefor should still work precisely the same way in regards to your character (if not in the 'cosmic scheme of things'). The Red Knight did not get 'demoted' AFAIK.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jul 2012 14:23:55
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2012 :  04:30:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stormlord77

I KNOW, 4th edition...not really my thing
I HAVE been considering continuing running the realms using the changes of 4th without upgrading the rules

If this is the wrong place for this, feel free to moderator move it to the right place. Sorta new here :P

so with that said, i have a specific question.
alot of demi-gods are now considered exarchs. Currently I am running a cleric of the red knight (formerly LN demi-goddess of strategies, planning and tactics..NOW a LG exarch of Tempus).

so in 4th edition does the cleric of the red knight still receive spells? Does he now get his spells from Tempus through the red knight (a patron saint?) or do exarch not grants spells and this requires a change of diety in 4th?

Thanks in advance

It's left ambigous so that it's easier for the DM of the group to decide, but I'd probably say that you still receive your spells from the Red Knight. They made the Exarchs title to show that certain Gods are under a Greater God's "umbrella" (so to speak). There's nothing in the rules that stops you gaining spells from the Red Knight.

Also, there's no reason why you can't keep the old Alignment system in your game if that might cause issues to. I know lots of people who use 3E's alignment in 4E games because those aspects are pretty much removed from the mechanics. So if you like the Red Knight being LN, I don't see that causing any problems.

Furthermore, I made a custom Paragon Path for Red Knight devotees called Knight of the Red Falcon. It's made for the Paladin class and uses Charisma for it's attacks. But I'm pretty sure everything but the 20th level power can be switched to Wisdom for attacks and Charisma for bonuses (like a Cleric might be). The paragon path is located here Diffan's Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies, about half-way down the page.

Edited by - Diffan on 07 Jul 2012 04:32:51
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2012 :  04:33:11  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing with 4E Clerics is that the deities no longer directly grant you spells. Instead your "ordination or investiture as a cleric grants you the ability to wield divine powers." (Player's Handbook, page 61, second column)

Because of this--and if I was your DM--I would rule that your character if fully capable of completing some sort of ritual of ordination and investiture to the Red Knight, and therefore can cast spells in the name of the Red Knight.

It just seems simplest that way since the Red Knight is at least an Exarch and so has some divine power your character can devote him/herself too.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2012 :  04:56:05  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeremy has the right of it, rules wise but I'd venture to say that the 'Core' rules don't always mesh well with how things work in the setting. For example, in 3E-core you could instead not devote yourself to any one deity but to a purpose or philosophy and pick what Domains you liked upon DM permission. In the Realms, it was specifically stated that you needed a Patron deity. SO I'd say take both cases to your DM and see what they say, come up with a solution both parties like, and have a great time.
Go to Top of Page

Stormlord77
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2012 :  05:05:13  Show Profile Send Stormlord77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, its not a problem per say
we are playing pathfinder + mishmash of several premade adventures
just using the forgotten realms pantheon since everyone is somewhat familiar with it

its just that i hadnt read up on any 4th edition stuff ...since we still playing 3.5. I thought playing a cleric of the red knight would be fun, interesting and different (the party started off with just 2, a ranger and my cleric) plus would be an ideal 2nd character for this party. Since then we had a paladin and a rogue join and had a dwarf fighter and wizard npc join the group as well, so the need for being a battle priest has lessoned and i started researching the goddess to see what other roles (besides healer) i would fill in the party.

i just like staying as current as possibly fluff wise... and what i discovered has seriously changed since i last looked at the FR's.
plus i was curious in case i was going to DM the next game :p
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000