Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Realms play-by-post game starting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2012 :  13:42:54  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Walker. I just checked rpol and have a PM from you; can I assume you eventually got the site to like you?

And DW, we definitely have three of the four major food groups covered, and possibly the fourth, depending on what Walker decides to play. So it's looking like you're probably going to get the coveted "fifth wheel; whatever I want to play" slot.

Though considering what you're likely going to be facing, it's probably a good idea if the party has at least a multi-class thief somewhere in the ranks.

Elf isn't required; I'm assuming the noble is going to be human, so we're already a mixed race group.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2012 :  14:27:57  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
actually I was referring to the dice-rolling site. Still no confirmation e-mail.

I think I'm definitely going with Mage-Thief Moon Elf--probably from the Greycloak hills.

I'm looking at the Western Heartlands Greycloak Hills Rogue kit for the thief side, and still trying to find something appropriate kit-wise for the Mage side.

Patrician- seems not adventure-y/explore-y enough--very whiny

Scholar- possible, not the best fit, but not the worst

Peasant Mage- It's a little too Luke Skywalker/country boy in description, I'm thinking a bit more avant garde

SpellFilcher-the kit that I'm most interested in, and most put-off by.

Pro's Custom for Elven Mage/Thieves, it grants some detect magic abilities and bonuses to temporarily disarming magical traps. Very helpful for exploring old ruins.

Con's Is based on a non-Realms organization that constitutes the balance/drawback of the kit. The Fluff is all wrong for my character (and for the abilities that it grants, tbh).

Any suggestions?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 12 Jul 2012 14:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2012 :  20:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I see. Sorry to hear IC is being flaky. You don't actually have to log in to roll stats if you're using 4d6 highest 3, you just have to give a character name. If you want the 3d6 x 12 version, you'll need to wait until it decides it likes you.

As for the spellfilcher kit, I've never really liked the fluff for it either. If you want it, though, I think it can be easily re-flavored into a shadowy joint arm of Corellon and Labelas's churches, aimed at recovery of magical secrets of the past, with a special aim at those which are sitting in hostile hands, rather than some tomb. Since we've already got a priest of Labelas, that makes fitting you in easy. Honestly, the odd duck out right now is looking like the Calishite; can't wait to try and work that issue out.

Though if you do take the spellfilcher kit, that would be your one kit, since it's for both of your classes.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2012 :  22:44:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellfilcher's work well with the affiliated order of Erevan.

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Ah. I see. Sorry to hear IC is being flaky. You don't actually have to log in to roll stats if you're using 4d6 highest 3, you just have to give a character name. If you want the 3d6 x 12 version, you'll need to wait until it decides it likes you.

As for the spellfilcher kit, I've never really liked the fluff for it either. If you want it, though, I think it can be easily re-flavored into a shadowy joint arm of Corellon and Labelas's churches, aimed at recovery of magical secrets of the past, with a special aim at those which are sitting in hostile hands, rather than some tomb. Since we've already got a priest of Labelas, that makes fitting you in easy. Honestly, the odd duck out right now is looking like the Calishite; can't wait to try and work that issue out.

Though if you do take the spellfilcher kit, that would be your one kit, since it's for both of your classes.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2012 :  23:17:36  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing as it's been years since my last 2nd edition game, maybe I should keep it simple to shake off the rust. Plus I can't find my Complete Psionics Handbook and I never owned the Will and the Way, so that option is not convenient at the moment.

Looks like we have all the magical and skilled varieties covered. Narrowing down my previous list, I have:

- Elven archer (warrior kit) or ranger focused on archery. This fits well with the elf-centric group, brings a mix of skills not quite covered in the group, but does leave our noble Calishite being the oddball, which might work out in some way.

- Calishite (or at least Lands of Intrigue, one of my favorite areas of the Realms) dervish swordsman (swashbuckler fighter or blade bard). Human, halfling, or half-elf, maybe more of a wanderer or nomad type.

Could still give the bladesinger another go. I never tire of the archetype. Or maybe a fighter with the bladesong style and not the fighter/mage, haven't tried that before.

Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  00:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Nice catch, Eric; I missed the Knaves of the Missing Page. It'll be up to the player, of course, but that looks like a really good idea.

And can I just take a moment to say how cool Candlekeep is? I mention I'm starting a new Realms game, and a few days later one of my favorite FR designers is dropping by to give some character advice. Love it.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  00:08:27  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, and I was thinking that they would make an excellent splinter group of the Fellowship of the Forgotten Flower if they had their fluff re-written.

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  00:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@DW: Well, so far we have:
Elven sorcerer
Elven specialty priest
Elven mage/thief
Human (?) fighter

Of them all, only the knight is likely to be doing much hand-to-hand, since chronolgians can only wear leather or elven chain, and I'm not giving out elven chain at 4th level. We also don't really have a dedicated archer. So either of those two might work. I think I'd like to avoid a bladesinger; we have an over-abundance of mage-types at the moment. But in the end, it's your character, so if you really want to, it shouldn't be that big a problem.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  00:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'd say both organizations (Fellowship of the Forgotten Flower and Knaves of the Missing Page) could have spellfilchers. It's entirely possible that they train together and it's just their focus (fallen realms vs human cities and items vs writings) that differs.

What with the Retreat, and the general withdrawal of elven power, Evereska is probably the only place still actively training spellfilchers. Once they graduate, they'd choose which order they wanted to join. Orders could also find and sponsor young elves from outside the Vale, who would then have to serve in that order for a set period of time before being able to choose another or their own way.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  00:31:19  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@DW: Well, so far we have:
Elven sorcerer
Elven specialty priest
Elven mage/thief
Human (?) fighter

Of them all, only the knight is likely to be doing much hand-to-hand, since chronolgians can only wear leather or elven chain, and I'm not giving out elven chain at 4th level. We also don't really have a dedicated archer. So either of those two might work. I think I'd like to avoid a bladesinger; we have an over-abundance of mage-types at the moment. But in the end, it's your character, so if you really want to, it shouldn't be that big a problem.

IMO Ranger is the best option as he's second string hand-to-hand, provides first-string non-magical ranged fighting, and a wilderness skillset that can only be helpful given that most ancient ruins are not located in urban areas.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  00:38:53  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No worries, the fighter/mage was a distant third to the other two concepts.

Any indication where (region or town?) we will begin or what we'll start off doing?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  00:45:38  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was what I wanted to open next.

"What" is going to be an intro mission: find a relatively small dungeon out in the wild, return with a book or something similar. Gives everyone a chance to settle into their characters, get to know each other and the various websites, and me used to all my shiny new tools and toys, without anything too dangerous or involved.

"Where" is open for discussion. Since we seem to have people tying themselves to Evereska, the general "where" is going to be Western Heartlands and Savage North. Is there anywhere in particular you want to start? I'm ruling out Waterdeep and the Vale itself, and probably ruling out Silverymoon, at least in the beginning.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  01:50:58  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evereska (or the Greycloak hills, at least) seem like a fairly obvious starting point for most/many of our characters. Earning our ranks in the Western Heartlands would seem to make sense.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  01:52:23  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, since I don't have posting rights in our RPOL threads yet:

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/30317/

BTW-- I don't normally dump-stat Charisma but my kit says:

Distinctive Appearance. Spellfilchers, by their very nature, do not want a distinctive appearance. They go out of their way to make themselves look like average elves, deliberately ridding themselves of any identifying habits.

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 13 Jul 2012 02:01:32
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  11:43:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all. A quick note about rpol: I need a character name before I can add you to the game. It's a weird quirk of the rpol system, in that I can't bring in users, I have to assign that user to a particular character before I can give access. So, once you have your character name selected, PM it to me and I'll get you into the game.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  14:53:31  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Corym Ildroun of Evereska

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  16:03:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! You're in.

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  16:22:30  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yurkal Salarka ibn Farkil, of Manshaka
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  16:29:28  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're in too.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  16:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, barring howls of outrage, the starting location is going to be the city of Scornubel. The starting date is going to be spring, 1360 DR. All of the elves in the party know how to get to Evereska, and at least some of you will have been born there, but you're acting as Faerunian agents for city and church, so you won't be going there in the near future.

Once we start getting backstories put together we can figure out how most and/or all of you know each other and work together.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2012 :  04:06:03  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good place to start.

I couldn't decided and went to the dice with a list of all my concepts. The dice gods have spoken, looks like I'm playing a half-elf ranger.

I sent the request to join the group already under the name Taeghen Mournsen.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2012 :  17:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm bumping this thread because while the game has started and has been going well, we've lost one of our players. So if anyone is interested in joining a 2e, relic-hunting-inspired play by post, feel free to post here, or come by the game on rpol.

http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

All character classes welcome.

Go to Top of Page

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  22:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the current ongoing birthright pbem's
http://voltumna.cjb.net/legacyofblood/throne/

there are still open realm slots, but anyway, maybe some of those players would be interested in a FR pbem
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2015 :  15:04:26  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And almost three years later, this game is still going strong. We just lost one of our original players, though, and I'm looking to recruit someone who's interested in playing a front-line fighter.

It's a fun, stable game that has a mix of social interaction up and down the Western Heartlands and old-fashioned dungeon crawling. The link is: http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011. Anyone want to join?

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2015 :  12:31:28  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As one of the founding players, I really want to vouch for this game. Hoondatha (as his CK rating would indicate) really knows his Realmslore, and integrates it effortlessly into a really engaging game. Maybe 2E isn't your cup of tea. It wasn't mine either (I felt nostalgic about it at times, sure, but actually playing it?) but in the long run it's not the mechanics that matter, it's the Characters and our Realms that do the real work.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2015 :  04:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wish I could join you guys for this. I enjoyed both playing with and under Hoondatha in the two games here that I took part in. 2E is really wonderful and was my first experience with D&D. The only problem is my time isn't what it once was, or I would gladly ask to join.

Best of luck, gentlemen. Raise a flagon of ale for me, please.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000