Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Predators in the Moonsea?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  14:59:42  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi All,

I'm looking for ideas on natural predators that would live in the Moonsea. Planning to get my gaming group wet, and I'm wondering what might be down there trying to eat them. It's a large freshwater lake, so ocean-going predators wouldn't be very realistic.

Anyone ever statted a giant muskie?

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  15:35:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

Hi All,

I'm looking for ideas on natural predators that would live in the Moonsea. Planning to get my gaming group wet, and I'm wondering what might be down there trying to eat them. It's a large freshwater lake, so ocean-going predators wouldn't be very realistic.

Anyone ever statted a giant muskie?

Stormwrack has some good choices:

anguillian ... although arguably saltwater creatures, you could make them freshwater variants of the sahaghuin
blackskate (ray-like undead)
caller from the deeps
monstrous crabs (freshwater, coldwater variants)
nereids
scyllan
seawolves
sisiutl

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  16:53:35  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sahuagin can't stand the fresh water, so at least by canon, they wouldn't be there. Kuo-toa and koalinth can, however. As can scrags, as far as I know.

For a more organized threat, don't forget the albino sea elves with the temperament of drow. They're supposed to be a relatively small settlement, but you could always bump them up into a genuine city or even empire.

I once ran a campaign set entirely under the Moonsea, with my party being a bunch of exile Selu'Maraaran nobles. It was a great deal of fun; I had three warring koalinth empires, plus the albino elves, plus kuo-toan cities in the Underdark near the Sea, plus roving bands of scrags. Oh, and some random big things like a dragon turtle or two. It was a lot of fun.

edit: Here's the thread I started to get some ideas about that campaign I mentioned:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13705

I didn't make as much use of the giant research complex as I hoped, but that was partly because it was so effective, it scared my fearless players off before they got in very deep. Feel free to steal it for your campaign, if you like.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 03 Jun 2012 16:57:19
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  20:42:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

For a more organized threat, don't forget the albino sea elves with the temperament of drow. They're supposed to be a relatively small settlement, but you could always bump them up into a genuine city or even empire.

-Marel (not the Pokemon).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  21:01:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, my players have been afraid to go swimming and water, ever since their encounter with an oversized jellyfish.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  23:34:11  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the ideas!

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000