Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Kindle Unkind
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

vallon
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  15:11:44  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just this past week, I read and truly enjoyed Rich Baker's novel 'The City of Ravens'. The story, and especially its 'hero' Jack Ravenwild, provided me with several laugh-out-loud moments.
I was floored when I found out yesterday that a great character like Jack wasn't lost to the 4e time-jump, but is back in action(and mayhem)in Mr. Baker's upcoming 'Prince of Ravens'(July 3).

This pleasant surprise was quickly spoiled by what looks like another Kindle-only release.. I don't know what bothers me more: Being forced to purchase my favourite releases in a format I don't care for, at a price not much cheaper than a paperback version that I would 'own' and have on one of my shelves? Or perhaps not finding any rhyme or reason in Wizard's decisions as to which stories are honored by an actual paper release or not?

As I spend most of my days in front of a computer, the last thing I want to do when I get home is to have to stare at another screen if I want to unplug and enjoy a good book. I understand that ownership has its privileges, but I'm not very pleased by this new trend.

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  15:47:03  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you...I know eBooks are the way of the future, but I just can't get into them. I read newspapers online exclusively and love blogs, but somehow when I want to read a novel I can't do it electronically. I love paper books, especially FR books. I was given a Kindle for my birthday and returned it. I couldn't get any old FR books on it and the fiction I like outside of FR wasn't available either. And the few books I got on it I found I didn't want to read electronically.

To each their own, I just wish the option was there for both sides. Sadly the future is not kind to paper book lovers (but is kind to trees). Odd the price isn't coming down for ebooks tho, given how much of the total cost of a paper book is to print and ship and store books (which is all zero for ebooks). Gouging the customers.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  17:12:23  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with everything said above. I am also curious about WoTC's process for determining which books get printed and which ones get the E-book only penalty tag. I have read more than a few Realms books which didn't seem worth the paper they were printed on, so to me it seems weird that a book which many scribes are all ready taking about would get the E-Book only tag.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 01 Jun 2012 17:12:46
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  18:59:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree.

Where we used to get something physical that we could hold in our hands, now we are literally buying 'air'.

At least when we start getting virtual food from the internet, it will be easier to diet.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  20:53:44  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-If you can place it on a bookshelf with all your other books on display, what's the point?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 01 Jun 2012 20:54:02
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
198 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  11:02:30  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know, e-book only releases suck and I prefer real books myself, but be happy you can at least read them at all! I can't even order most e-books here and that's what should be changed first.

Edited by - Lirdolin on 02 Jun 2012 11:03:09
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  11:41:31  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer real books than Kindle ....Or both of them ...BUT NOT KINDLE ONLY!!!!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  12:43:43  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is why I am only going to buy certain books from WotC (Physical books by certain authors, Ed mainly.). I have pretty much given up on WotC.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  12:53:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never read a novel that wasn't an actual book...so they are losing my business. I hate trying to read a book in digital format...absolutely hate it.

There's just something about that freshly cracked spine, the feel and smell of a book...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

vallon
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  17:29:27  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I've never read a novel that wasn't an actual book...so they are losing my business. I hate trying to read a book in digital format...absolutely hate it.

There's just something about that freshly cracked spine, the feel and smell of a book...

Indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  18:11:52  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You people and your Iron Age ways... *snicker*

(of course, I'd never waste my money on ghetto tech like kindle or nook, but I do <3 my iPad reader)

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 02 Jun 2012 18:18:37
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  18:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC is currently looking into a Print-on-Demand model. I don't know details, only that it's being considered.

An actual (and prohibitivel expensive) print run would be ideal, sure, but at least with pod, you could get paper if you want it.

I advise anyone with strong feelings on the issue to contact WotC directly. If you prefer, email me and I'll forward your feedback.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  00:24:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Ghetto Tech"?

I see we have an elitist amongst us. Excuse me for not being willing to pay more for a stupid logo.

I am very happy with my Motorola tablet - it does everything I need it to do.

I still refuse to read books on it though - I'm old-school when it comes to my reading habits. Books are like women - if you can't hold 'em, it takes all the fun out of having one.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jun 2012 00:25:55
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  02:12:17  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

"Ghetto Tech"?

I see we have an elitist amongst us. Excuse me for not being willing to pay more for a stupid logo.

I am very happy with my Motorola tablet - it does everything I need it to do.

I still refuse to read books on it though - I'm old-school when it comes to my reading habits. Books are like women - if you can't hold 'em, it takes all the fun out of having one.

I choose to take this as a compliment rather than an insult.

See, I don't think elitism, or striving for better things, is bad in any way. Kindle and Nook IMO are ghetto tech because they are overly expensive and typically have just the one function.

Do you call me "elite" because I far prefer the multi-functionality of the iPad? Your Motorola tablet can likely make the same claim... so are you not "elitist" in that sense as well?

Or is it because I'm highly adaptable to new tech when you choose to reject it for emotional reasons?

Nostalgia has its place, but paperbacks are bulky, get yellowed or dirty/torn/worn-out, and are not even truly collectible. If I take a reader loaded with 50 books or more, I have tons of choices and can change my mind on what to read.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  02:21:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-No, no, no! You never crack the spine!

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  02:35:18  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

But... it's just a paperback...

Saving the spine would only amount to like 20 cents more on a trade-in, if memory serves.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  02:36:47  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, I understand both ways: for a simple paperback, she is going to get used! For a hardcopy, well, that's a gentle read.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  02:42:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

quote:

But... it's just a paperback...

-Doesn't matter. Makes it look sloppy on the bookshelf. You ever break a book's spine, I will hunt you down!

-Had a mother's former boyfriend do that to me, snap a few spines from my book collection as a punishment for something, a long time ago. Schmuck.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 03 Jun 2012 02:43:07
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  03:03:24  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Doesn't matter. Makes it look sloppy on the bookshelf. You ever break a book's spine, I will hunt you down!

-Had a mother's former boyfriend do that to me, snap a few spines from my book collection as a punishment for something, a long time ago. Schmuck.

Wow, I hope she dumped that guy... what a petty thing for him to do. I don't personally take that great of care with my paperbacks, but doing that to someone on purpose is just vindictive.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  03:24:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The public library made me feel like a criminal when I returned a broken book. I knew, of course, that I'd have to pay for a replacement copy ... but still, the evil glares and haughty lectures and unspoken accusations of book rape and vandalism, lol. Incidentally, the book broke because I'd put it on the roof of my car, forgotten about it, then inadvertently ran it over while parking.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  04:27:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Agreed, all of my paperbacks are pristine

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  08:47:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - and I thought I was bad. All my books eventually look pretty shabby. I had a friend once who had a fit because I wrote in the margins of one of his rule books (its not like they're the Dead Sea Scrolls or anything).

And I'm not talking about an RPG book - it was one of those thin ones you used to get with SPI games. We were playing a few things wrong, and I circled stuff - I didn't think it was any big deal.

He probably didn't crack spines either.

I don't know much about Kindle or Nook - all I know is Apple is way over priced, especially for propriety stuff you have to go back to the manufacturer for for anything. I remember when even the software had to come from them.

And I have a pet-peeve against them because they have an exclusive deal with my local cable company - their programming ONLY works on Apple products (so if I want to watch TV on my tablet, I HAVE TO buy an I-Pad... and thats just not going to happen). Same goes for the I-phone, I-pod, etc... so I can't watch TV in my room on my computer anymore, and you can't get basic cable without a box, so I'm screwed (or have to pay a monthly fee for a box I will only use occasionally).

Thats corporate BS at its worst.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  13:14:06  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kindle is useless in India. All you get are the usual overpriced best seller types. Just try finding any FR books on it, its impossible.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  13:21:18  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vallon

Just this past week, I read and truly enjoyed Rich Baker's novel 'The City of Ravens'. The story, and especially its 'hero' Jack Ravenwild, provided me with several laugh-out-loud moments.
I was floored when I found out yesterday that a great character like Jack wasn't lost to the 4e time-jump, but is back in action(and mayhem)in Mr. Baker's upcoming 'Prince of Ravens'(July 3).

This pleasant surprise was quickly spoiled by what looks like another Kindle-only release.. I don't know what bothers me more: Being forced to purchase my favourite releases in a format I don't care for, at a price not much cheaper than a paperback version that I would 'own' and have on one of my shelves? Or perhaps not finding any rhyme or reason in Wizard's decisions as to which stories are honored by an actual paper release or not?

As I spend most of my days in front of a computer, the last thing I want to do when I get home is to have to stare at another screen if I want to unplug and enjoy a good book. I understand that ownership has its privileges, but I'm not very pleased by this new trend.

AMEN!

Give me a real book anyday.
Nothing can beat a good soft chair, a nice reading lamp with a good book and no cpu or cell allowed in the room. Good times!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  17:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aye, I understand both ways: for a simple paperback, she is going to get used! For a hardcopy, well, that's a gentle read.

Heh!

I strive to treat every book like a lady, however tarted up or digital-only she might be.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  20:23:46  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-A gentleman, and a scholar.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  20:24:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Heh!

I strive to treat every book like a lady, however tarted up or digital-only she might be.

Cheers

Most of my soft paper novels are used like Lore Books...they are often highlighted! Yes, I know...many faces of or or

However, it is a practice I learned when once upon a time I was a Priest...yes, priest. I often took a soft print copy of scripture and did the same with a highlighting frenzy! To me, it wasn't the physical words that are important, but the meaning they convey.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  20:28:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-When I read Forgotten Realms books, that's why I used a folded up piece of paper as a bookmark, along with my real bookmark (celebrating it's tenth birthday now; got it when Lord of the Rings first came out)- things of interest, like Elven words, or Elven names, or Kara-Tur things, I'd jot down on the paper so I didn't forget them.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  20:51:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, all I can say is that book highlights work much better for memorizing...whether "on a mission" or sitting in a classroom.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  02:03:44  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well add my name to the disdain of digital books.

I dont have time to boot my pc for anything other than web surfing game platying or screwing around in word....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  04:24:07  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, from my perspective this thread is about discussing a LUXURY PROBLEM....

At least you US guys have the chance to download FR e-books, while outside the US you don't, at least 95% of them.
Prince of Ravens is not available for me, THANK YOU VERY MUCH AGAIN WOTC!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000