Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Five Shires of the Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  21:46:07  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Wow, that is incredible. That posted map is from (3) years ago. It would be super cool if he was producing maps again.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  21:48:43  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Darden,

This has been an amazingly cool scroll to read through. I must admit, the idea of adding the Five Shires there is really appealing. I'm such a canon enthusiast, but that is super compelling.

What a time to build it up too: (8) years!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  23:02:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
8. “me too”-style posts are not permitted. Single posts in response to an offering of material or to say “thanks” to a poster for providing information just adds unnecessary posts to the thread. If you really feel the need to thank a poster for anything in particular, please use the Private Message facility.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  23:25:54  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Darden,

quote:
8. “me too”-style posts are not permitted. Single posts in response to an offering of material or to say “thanks” to a poster for providing information just adds unnecessary posts to the thread. If you really feel the need to thank a poster for anything in particular, please use the Private Message facility.

I appreciate you bringing that to my attention. My intention was not to have my post be in the vein of a "me too" style post; however, I know you are a well intentioned, and reasonable sage. I'll reflect on that and seek advice on that post of mine.

My intention with that response, beyond the obvious compliment was to discuss and share in the experience of your Five Shires, per the "Running the Realms" sub-text, which is:
quote:
A DM's discussion area to share experiences of running Forgotten Realms campaigns and adventures and to seek advice and help from other Realms Dungeon Masters.

However, I may have erred in the context of my post, and as I said, I'll reflect on your response and seek advice.

Thank you for mentioning this!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2020 :  04:40:16  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe TheIriaeban,

quote:
The Hin make contact with the Gentle Folk, a group of pacifist elven folk who start to mentor the Halflings. Hin records do not indicate where these Hin come from; but many suspect after excavations that the Hin of The Five Shires may have been slaves belonging to Netherese Spelljamming Arcanists which fought for their freedom and forced the ship they were on to crash where Faerdinel was founded. Whether these Hin were from Faerun or some other world is unknown.

Imagine if these Hin that Great Reader was writing about were all apart of some Eldathan long game, as with the Odonti we were speaking about earlier? That would be pretty cool. What do you think?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  14:48:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I once commented to Ed about using the Five Shires for Luiren... His response:

quote:
Sure. Superimpose the Luiren cities and government structure, shift places "just a little" to make room for them, and, yes, it works admirably for that. Almost as if someone designed it that way. ;}

I was just now eyeballing the entry for The Five Shires on the DriveThruRPG website. Someone wrote up a history of the product -- and it includes that Ed quote (minus the emoticon). So either Ed has answered that question before with the exact same wording, or the write-up's author -- "Shannon Appelcline, the editor-in-chief of RPGnet and the author of Designers & Dragons" -- got the info from here. That blurb came from an email exchange betwixt Ed and I, and I only shared it here. A quick google search shows that blurb has traveled about the internet more than I would have expected.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2022 :  15:20:31  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thread necromancy. Does the map still exist somewhere?

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2022 :  18:54:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

I found this one:

https://www.deviantart.com/markustay/art/NEW-5-Shires-coversion-for-FR-2-0-656703763

It's from 2017. If there's a newer one, I didn't see it on his DeviantArt page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2022 :  20:03:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the one where he put it "under" the Dragon Coast.

The original idea is to use it in lieu of Luiren.

Thanks though.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I found this one:

https://www.deviantart.com/markustay/art/NEW-5-Shires-coversion-for-FR-2-0-656703763

It's from 2017. If there's a newer one, I didn't see it on his DeviantArt page.

--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2022 :  14:20:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Superimposing the Five Shires map onto the Luiren map has never actually happened as far as I'm aware.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2022 :  04:45:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure I still have the map...I'll see where I put it.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2022 :  04:47:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Raw link here:

https://www.deviantart.com/markustay/art/Five-Shires-FR-Conversion-653017761

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2022 :  13:43:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's still Mark's map of the Five Shires on the Dragon Coast.

While an interesting idea, I was hoping to find a map of the Five Shires overlaid atop Luiren.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2022 :  15:18:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's still Mark's map of the Five Shires on the Dragon Coast.

While an interesting idea, I was hoping to find a map of the Five Shires overlaid atop Luiren.

--Eric

Ahhh...I misunderstood.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone actually do the map there.

Unless it was Mark...I have some shadow of a memory. I'll keep looking around.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2023 :  19:51:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an update for Eric...I have not been able to get in touch with MT with a reply from him and I haven't found the map that I somewhat recall of him placing the Five Shires where Luiren is. I am pretty sure he did one, but I didn't save it and it seems to have been removed from his page.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000