Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fairies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  16:28:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I was doing stuff over at my new home last night (not moved in yet, just setting things up), and we noticed some weirdness. I thought we had ghosts (no big, I've had them before), but it turns out I think we have fairies. This house is set in an 'unspoiled wilderness' area, so I should have expected something like this.

Any Wiccans here? I need some advice.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
198 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  17:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dish of milk to apease them, cold iron above doors and windows to keep them out (doesn't work if someone stepped over an unfinished wall while the house was in construction, creates a spirit door)? Don't step into natural circles (stones, toadstools, mushrooms) and keep away from mounds. Looking through a stone with a natural hole is supposed to let you see invisible fairies
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  17:18:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cold iron is a great idea - thanks. I'll have to pick-up some horseshoes today.

I'd rather get along with them - they can get nasty. I'll try the milk too (but I don't want to attract stray cats LOL).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  17:19:51  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHAHA!

Best way to get them to go away is to actively disbelieve them (save vs will). Say it out loud if you must. Be 'banal' and as mundane as possible and fey will lose any interest.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  17:24:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one in the backyard made a lampost explode last night when I was three feet away from it... I don't want to get that one angry.

On the other hand, if I befriend them, I might finally get some much-needed answers for my Fey-lore.

Either that, or windup in a mental institution.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Mar 2012 17:24:56
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  17:44:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Alystra is probably the best the person to ask.

We don't have fairies back home. The close thing we have is duwende, which literally means "dwarf," but are thought to be a one-foot tall creature that can turn invisible at will and loves to play pranks inside the house where its den is at or is near to. Having lived in cities almost my entire life, I'm skeptical of such things.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  17:51:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does sound like you are misidentifying the resident force.

"he one in the backyard made a lampost explode last night" does not sound like something Fey would do unless you attacked them first. As such many factors must be considered.

1) Always the first, is a mundane? Something like poor wiring?

2) Did you install the lamppost? This might have been considered an attack.

3) After moving in did you make changes to what might be their terriotry?

This are likely the first three questions you need to answer. There will be many more questions that would need to be answered. The history of the location. Also you should not limit your request for advise from Wiccans, there are other Pagans and that might be able to provide advice.

Protection or making friends certainly will be hard until you are sure you know what you are dealing with.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  18:30:05  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's probably rats or raccoons.

[url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series uk version[/url] [url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-touring-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series touring uk version[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  18:52:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  19:18:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

Interesting Vid, wonder if having sound card would have changed my impression of it.

Knowledge is power, belief is error.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  19:21:41  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Interesting Vid, wonder if having sound card would have changed my impression of it.

Knowledge is power, belief is error.

-Lol, yeah, being able to listen to the speaker is pretty key.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  19:31:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides iron, you could try bells. :) But truly without knowing which land they came from, it's hard to say what might work. So many cultures have their own specific "fey" that you could guess all day and still not come up with anything that might work. It even matters what type of fey they are.

Besides milk, you could give them fresh bread. Four-leaf clovers work for protection. Uh, holy water works on most things, or if there's a pagan/wiccan/new age store nearby, they might have some blessed liquid that could work.

St. John's Wort is supposed to help protect as well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 04 Mar 2012 19:40:00
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  19:35:11  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great link there, LK. Gracias.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 04 Mar 2012 19:35:44
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  19:42:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have a look at the relevant chapter in John Michael Greer's Monsters.
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind
Best way to get them to go away is to actively disbelieve them (save vs will).
Or it might lead to them manifesting in a roundabout, messed-up way, as the otherworld tends to when it's denied.

Edited by - Faraer on 04 Mar 2012 19:44:09
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  19:44:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay guys, lets end the rest of this other topic right now. There are some of us on this site who are pagans and or wiccans or whatever and believe in things science can't explain, so if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  19:49:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Belief shapes one's reality.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  21:56:32  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just cast Dismissal when you see one.

Hmm though I think faeries are not from another plane so that may not work.

Also not sure if this thread is serious or not lol
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  00:29:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

Also not sure if this thread is serious or not lol

I consider the concern of the OP is serious. The reasons for that is shelf selected an the concerns expressed.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  02:55:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to step on anyone's personal beliefs, but I really should like to see something Realms-related here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  03:15:35  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on Wooly. I don't see you saying such things when a strictly rules topics pop up here. At least Marcus's thread is about fantasy.

[url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series uk version[/url] [url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-touring-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series touring uk version[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  03:58:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

Come on Wooly. I don't see you saying such things when a strictly rules topics pop up here. At least Marcus's thread is about fantasy.

Rules can be used in the Realms. Markus is speaking of real-world happenings and his real-world beliefs; calling them fantasy is disrespectful to those that have similar beliefs.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  04:09:31  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that case I concede my point and advice to seal the scroll.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  04:39:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or move to Well meet shelf, where discussion for anything (within reason) can occur.

Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  04:43:49  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or that.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  05:39:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What? Did I forget to mention I think they came from the Realms?

If Ed Greenwood can be sane and have an old mage walk through the back of his wardrobe from time to time, then I can have creatures from the feywild living around me.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Belief shapes one's reality.
Precisely.

You can't experience that which you do not believe in, because your mind denies its existence (even when its right in front of you).

You have to be 'open minded' to see that which others can't.

Anyhow, I have no interest in convincing others in things I believe - they'd have to walk a mile (or a lifetime) in my shoes. I fully understand how someone who hasn't experienced 'weirdness' wouldn't believe in certain things, and I can't blame them. I'd probably be the same way if I had a different life then I have had.

I think I may have figured out why the light (thats been exactly the same way for fifteen years) blew apart - its probably more far-fetched then fairies; one of those 'one in-a-million' situations. Basically, I think there was a lugnut on the other end of the deck I was walking on, on the edge of the railing. I believe it may have fallen, ricocheted off a large rock just beneath it, and shot straight through the glass fixture (blowing it apart). I only think this is a possibility because I found the large nut (no... not me ) when I was examining the area, picking up all the broken glass today. It would have been a pretty bizarre series of events, but a definite plausible scenario.

It still doesn't explain why the new garden statuary we placed keeps getting turned completely around... I doubt that's a raccoon. Especially when we turned them all back the right way (facing away from the house), and came back outside about a minute later (making another trip to the truck for stuff), and they were all turned the wrong way again.

I've experienced that kind of stuff before though, so thats pretty mild compared to a shattering light. I should also add that I am now living at the end of a long, rural road, so there are no other people close by - we are completely surrounded on three sides by state and federal land.

I actually fell in love with the place for many reasons, not the least of which is a treehouse at the very edge of the property, with a very large opening facing toward the woods... no lights for miles. The starscape is incredible - you usually don't see that in NY (at least not in the part I live in). I can't wait to buy a new telescope.

Its also a good spot to fend off a zombie apocalypse. Yeah... I really did consider that when first viewing the place. It is 2012, after all.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Mar 2012 05:45:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  05:58:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

So many cultures have their own specific "fey" that you could guess all day and still not come up with anything that might work. It even matters what type of fey they are.
And, in some cases, I'd say it matters further even, at what time of the evening they decide to visit.
quote:
Besides milk, you could give them fresh bread. Four-leaf clovers work for protection. Uh, holy water works on most things, or if there's a pagan/wiccan/new age store nearby, they might have some blessed liquid that could work.
I'll second the recommendation of using milk.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  19:53:44  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

-Taken right out of the video.

quote:

It still doesn't explain why the new garden statuary we placed keeps getting turned completely around... I doubt that's a raccoon. Especially when we turned them all back the right way (facing away from the house), and came back outside about a minute later (making another trip to the truck for stuff), and they were all turned the wrong way again.

-A 'fairy' doesn't, either. Why not a Djinn?

quote:

I actually fell in love with the place for many reasons, not the least of which is a treehouse at the very edge of the property, with a very large opening facing toward the woods... no lights for miles. The starscape is incredible - you usually don't see that in NY (at least not in the part I live in). I can't wait to buy a new telescope.

-Where the hell was it, that I went to a few months ago, in October? Just at like the middle of the LI. Masstick, I think it was. It's crazy how much of the sky you can see at night. By comparison, I live in the boonies here, on SI, and I get basically the moon, Orion, the Big Dipper, and assorted random stars that don't really make any patterns here and there.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 05 Mar 2012 20:26:28
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  20:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very true.

That's why I'll always be grateful to the enquiring and free-thinking minds who didn't just accept the received wisdom that all the mysteries of the world around us were caused by supernatural beings reacting to our actions, but actually had causes far more thrilling and magical.

That, in fact, the world did not revolve around humans or any other anthropomorphic creature at all, but had a system of observable rules by which rocks fell to the ground when dropped, the earth orbited the sun, both bright explosions in the sky and pieces of cloth mysteriously adhering to things have the same cause and so on.

Even more interesting, they discovered that human memory and human senses were influenced primarily by what we think we ought to remember or experience, not external reality. Starting from the belief that there is a pattern, the vast majority of humans will find patterns even in randomised data. They'll even convince themselves of the ground-breaking significance of such observed patterns.

So it's very true that belief shapes our subjective reality. Because, in a way, what we see, hear and feel is what we believe we should be thinking, hearing and feeling. And what we remember about it is going to be what supports our beliefs. And what we notice about other people's stories will, astonishingly, be precisely what best buttresses our preconceptions.

No one is immune to this, of course. But keeping an open mind and consciously looking for data that contradicts our prefered beliefs, not to mention constantly trying out other hypotheses that might also explain the evidence, is the best defence we've found so far.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 05 Mar 2012 20:19:16
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  23:43:43  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its also a good spot to fend off a zombie apocalypse. Yeah... I really did consider that when first viewing the place. It is 2012, after all.

Sounds like an awesome location. No wonder you've been having "visitors"... they want the area to themselves. And no, I've never had anything like this happen to me, but some very good friends of mine (I've known him for almost seventeen years, many of which have been spent playing D&D together, more recently with her as well) are having similar experiences. Her grandfather's pipe smoke (or the aroma of it) used to show up unannounced in her parents' place, and when they moved into their house almost four years ago, Grandpa apparently followed them. I've never experienced anything like this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist... I've never personally seen a solar eclipse, but they happen fairly regularly.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 05 Mar 2012 23:44:24
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  02:34:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had lots of really bizarre stuff happen to me, including quite a bit most would say was 'paranormal', but I found explanations for (I am a reasonable person, after all - I don't jump to conclusions).

I even have an instance of 'lost time' when I was young. I still haven't found a probe though.

@LK - I know it was from the video - I watched it. Thats why I used it.

Mastic isn't far from me - straight south. I live slightly further east now, out at the far end of Ridge, right on the border of Riverhead (the 'crotch' of LI). The east-end is beautiful - nothing like Nassau (thank god). People get the wrong idea when I tell them I am from NY - I have deer coming right up to my backdoor (my GF in Kentucky can't even make that claim).

Not that I don't enjoy the city when I am there - I try to enjoy everything, everywhere I go (why go through life looking to have a bad time?). There are a couple of parks that are pretty amazing (especially considering they are in the middle of a concrete jungle).

But I have nature in my soul -it calls to me. I am so happy with my new home (spent a good part of today there). I haven't entirely moved out of my last place simply because I can't get cable for 2 weeks - I'm not going to live without the internet, phone, and TV for that much time. What am I supposed to do? READ?

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Mar 2012 15:31:13
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  05:41:16  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's true that the brain edits some unbelievable stuff, tough I never seen anything supernatural. We laughed at one of my players when he said he saw a hag.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000