Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fairies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  15:21:04  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

Thank you for posting this!

...and what a terrific, well-put-together series of videos generally. Masterfully and professionally done.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  15:24:36  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Belief shapes one's reality.

No, it doesn't. Belief shapes one's perception of reality.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  15:42:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there are a lot of things we don't know about, simply because our technology is limited by our own experiences, which is based on a paltry five senses. Animals have senses we don't, and so are probably aware of much more (and perhaps children - they haven't had all the society-imposed filters applied yet).

I don't want to derail my own thread (heaven forbid! ), so I would like to just say I haven't had anymore 'strange movement' going on at the new place, so it looks like I've either made peace with whatever was there, or there was nothing there to begin with (and I got some mighty clever racoons with senses of humor).

Thanks for all the advice and discussion.
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

I think it's true that the brain edits some unbelievable stuff, tough I never seen anything supernatural. We laughed at one of my players when he said he saw a hag.
My mother got out again?

Damn!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  20:12:41  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Mastic isn't far from me - straight south. I live slightly further east now, out at the far end of Ridge, right on the border of Riverhead (the 'crotch' of LI). The east-end is beautiful - nothing like Nassau (thank god). People get the wrong idea when I tell them I am from NY - I have deer coming right up to my backdoor (my GF in Kentucky can't even make that claim).

-My girlfriend has bears, and a few weeks ago, some kind of raptor swooped down and nearly took my hand off. You sure as hell don't think about Jersey and nature.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  21:10:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was the Jersey Devil - it wanted a piece of you.

I understand it comes out every 20 years to mate.... with something called a 'Snooki' (see the Southpark Jersey Shore episode).

Vile creatures dwell on the coasts of Jersey... I think there may be a lot of Half-Orc in the blood.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  21:19:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Mastic isn't far from me - straight south. I live slightly further east now, out at the far end of Ridge, right on the border of Riverhead (the 'crotch' of LI). The east-end is beautiful - nothing like Nassau (thank god). People get the wrong idea when I tell them I am from NY - I have deer coming right up to my backdoor (my GF in Kentucky can't even make that claim).

-My girlfriend has bears, and a few weeks ago, some kind of raptor swooped down and nearly took my hand off. You sure as hell don't think about Jersey and nature.

There's a local college currently having problems with a pair of hawks attacking students and staff. And this is in a built-up area, too, not on the edge of the boonies or anything.

And I've seen deer along the road many times down here, and even saw one well inside the city of Orlando, once (surprised the heck out of me!). And when I say well inside, I had to drive for a few miles, in the city proper, to get to where I saw that.

Nature tends to lurk in unexpected places, I think.

Edit: Casts banish typo

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Mar 2012 00:28:24
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  21:43:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finds this fascinating. I guess I'm to used to living in Rochester. Even though it's a city we have bears, deer, coons, hawks (they nest on the Kodak building), owls (she sits on the expressway light poles watching the cars every day), etc. So I'm used to living with nature within the city and it's burbs. Course, upstate NY has a lot more open green space then lower NY.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  23:56:52  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Alystra is probably the best the person to ask.

We don't have fairies back home. The close thing we have is duwende, which literally means "dwarf," but are thought to be a one-foot tall creature that can turn invisible at will and loves to play pranks inside the house where its den is at or is near to. Having lived in cities almost my entire life, I'm skeptical of such things.

My ears are burning- did someone mention my name? LOL!! If you haven't already, I will (also) suggest a small bowl of milk and honey- just enough to cover the bottom should suffice. A bit of bread or biscuit is also good. But PLEASE, no iron! Yes, it repels fey, but do you REALLY want that? After all, they were there first. You would essetially be driving them from their home- which would probably make them angry.

Best suggestion (I think it's sprites- they are clever, mischievous, and quite strong for their size- and also very prankish) is to plant something they like in the garden, like roses (they LOVE them, for some reason) lavender, thyme, or catnip, and/or perhaps burn some scented candles or incense indoors- they seem to enjoy jasmine, rose, lavender (again) or vanilla scents. They might play in the candle flames or incense smoke, but probably will nat hurt anything. It goes without saying not to leave them unattended, however, as accidents CAN happen, especially with playful sprites around. If they are confined to the garden (you didn't specify, but they seem to be) then just the offering and some plants they like will go a long way toward making friends.

If "problems" start or persist (so far, they just seem to be "welcoming" you in their own peculiar fashion) just go to where it occurs, and ask them politely- but firmly and in normal voice- to please stop. Usually, if addressed directly, they will do so. If not, you may have something a bit more "malicious", like a redcap(nasty- do NOT annoy!), hobb(not necessarily mean or malevolant, just VERY territorial!), or bogart. If they continue or escalate the behavior, using iron or holy water may indeed solve the problem. If you MUST use iron (you mentioned horseshoes) do it ONLY in areas you don't want them going- one on the door if you don't want them in the house is usually enough. Understand, asking to stop usually works on both ghost-types AND fey, so either way, you should not have problems!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000