Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur'sGate.com Being Updated
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  19:07:21  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Timer is over, but I can't access the site now.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  19:14:29  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Timer is over, but I can't access the site now.

It went boom!

I guess a few hundred thousand people can do that to a poor old little server.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  19:25:24  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
25 minutes in and it is still splody!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  19:28:24  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

25 minutes in and it is still splody!

Here is an update from Trent:

Trent Oster #8207;
We're happy to announce the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Our servers are much less happy

https://twitter.com/#!/trentoster

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  19:44:09  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, not a phone port, good news! I hope they have some pics once their server is back up.

Good to know there will be new content too.

And if it is fully voiced and with Dragon Age's engine, I just might have to change my pants.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  19:48:04  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, not a phone port, good news! I hope they have some pics once their server is back up.

And if it is fully voiced and with Dragon Age's engine, I just might have to change my pants.

An official announcement (thanks to Alpha)

http://www.beamdog.com/files/newsletters/BGEE/bgannounce.jpg

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  19:59:02  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need more information before I start squealing like a 12 year old girl who just saw Justin Bieber.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  20:07:05  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I need more information before I start squealing like a 12 year old girl who just saw Justin Bieber.

An enhanced edition with a few extra 'shiny bits' and Tales of the Swordcoast expansion is included too.

Hopefully once the server is back up there will be more information to go around.

Shiny bits= "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members"

Also from his twitter: "There will be two games. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition #bgee=BG+TotSC; bg2ee=bg2+ToB"

So same game, graphics upgrade, same music, and new quests using the 2nd edition ruleset.

and I now need to get back to work.

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 15 Mar 2012 20:26:08
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  20:28:22  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be buying both. Between this and Ed's version of the Realms book coming out in the fall I'm so happy.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  21:42:20  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/03/15/announcing-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/

got into ithe site

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  21:53:06  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Don't like that it's still using the 2e ruleset. I guess it'd be a big pain in the ass for them to have to recode all those rule things.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1270 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  22:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I'll be buying both. Between this and Ed's version of the Realms book coming out in the fall I'm so happy.

I'm with you there! This announcement just made my year get even better!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  22:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since 2e is all I play if I have any choice, the fact that it's still 2e is a major selling point for me.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  01:57:41  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's great that they are still using 2E!
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  02:34:08  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Don't like that it's still using the 2e ruleset. I guess it'd be a big pain in the ass for them to have to recode all those rule things.

Agreed. Changing the ruleset would probably mean some major royalties to WotC though. I'm optimistic nevertheless, I can tolerate THACO and a crappy saving throw system once more!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  02:43:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Agreed. Changing the ruleset would probably mean some major royalties to WotC though. I'm optimistic nevertheless, I can tolerate THACO and a crappy saving throw system once more!

-Why? I would assume that, because it is a license for a property owned by WotC, they have WotC's go-ahead to release the refurbished product, in relation to monetary issues.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  03:09:31  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with LK. With the SRD open-license I don't see a problem with them using a different rule-set with the game with the likes of Icewind Dale 2 (which uses v3.5 mostly). The fact that it appears they're working in tandem with WotC would only assume they would have their full support for whichever system they used.

Or is this along the vein of "BG uses 2E and only 2E rules or it ain't BG!" mindset?

Also, has there been official word on which ruleset they're using? From what I saw in the site, it just says they're working with original developers on the project. And this: "Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements." which to me means smoother graphics, better control (ie. party A.I. isn't stupid), and refined rules.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  04:07:45  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take back everything I said. I want this. I want it, I want it, I want it, I WANT IT NOW.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  04:15:26  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmm..... if it using 2e.

I wonder how hard it will be to hack it allowing all races to be paladins....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  10:19:20  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Baldurs Gate 2 used a mixture of 2e and 3e
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  13:14:51  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Twitter they announced they will be using 2nd edition, so that is pretty much official. They did use some parts of the 3rd edition ruleset, like some classes IIRC, but it was really 2nd edition overall.

And you are right LK on Wizards being part of the project, so license was probably not an issue. Maybe the budget for this project didn't allow a complete change in the mechanics.

We know it works, but it is far from perfect. Return of the overpowered Haste spell FTW.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  13:25:33  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well one of the parts I liked the most was my max Level, totally overpowered sorcerer in BG2 with which I played through it a lot of times. So I don' have a problem with that.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  14:07:35  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an underwhelming wait. An ENHANCED version of Baldur's gate? I already played it 30 times. Why not just go full into Baldur's gate 3? Unless this is a precursor to that. I can still play Baldur's gate on an old PC I have.

What does ENHANCED mean?

I bet Sarevok will scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when he is defeated and make all the fans mad.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 16 Mar 2012 14:08:29
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  14:09:40  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK this I could get on board with.

Still underwhelming.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  14:56:02  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this does well, I'd expect BG3 may finally come to be. They are adding new content; and I haven't played BG1 in a dog's age. Next to a BG3 announcement this was the best possible news to me.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  15:05:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And you are right LK on Wizards being part of the project, so license was probably not an issue. Maybe the budget for this project didn't allow a complete change in the mechanics.

-That's probably what it is. Enhancing the res of graphics is one thing, recoding the entire game is another.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  16:05:30  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh, now I'm really just un-impressed. The graphics part of the game was the least of my concerns. It was understood that there were better grapic games out there (looks to NWN, KotOR, Mass Effect, L4D, Elder Scrolls) but it was about the storyline.

If this IS a precursor to a new BG, then I'll be happy, but just rehashing the same game, same plot, same rules, same charactes but with new clothes......*sigh* oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  17:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except that the original BGII and, especially, BG, can't run on many modern computers. It's still one of the best CRPG's ever made, and if they're going to update it to run on modern computers and make a big enough splash to get people talking about it again, I think it's all to the good. People talking, and paying money, would make it much more likely that a BGIII would get made.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  17:39:11  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Meh, now I'm really just un-impressed. The graphics part of the game was the least of my concerns. It was understood that there were better grapic games out there (looks to NWN, KotOR, Mass Effect, L4D, Elder Scrolls) but it was about the storyline.

If this IS a precursor to a new BG, then I'll be happy, but just rehashing the same game, same plot, same rules, same charactes but with new clothes......*sigh* oh well.

-Agreed. I'll take Final Fantasy IV over Final Fantasy XIV any day of the week, graphics be damned.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  20:30:55  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-That's probably what it is. Enhancing the res of graphics is one thing, recoding the entire game is another.

They say they're going to recode Infinity Engine. And that plot is going to be improved, especially in the transition from BG 1 to BG 2. And there'll be some additional, plot content and new joinable NPCs...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000