Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Evening Glory in FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  02:15:13  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is one of my favourite deities in D&D of all time! She has to be one of the most unique and unexpected deities in all of D&D space. My question is- how might I easily bring her into FR?

I've been thinking of having her just be there, and then make out a story line with her followers in a conflict with Sune and other such deities. What do you guys think?

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  02:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Not a deity I'm familiar with. Can you give me a source, so I can go read up on her?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  02:52:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of her either. From what I can determine she debuted in Libris Mortis.

edit: Confirmed.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 08 Feb 2012 02:56:49
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  02:59:32  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, that is the sourcebook she is from.

quote:
Evening Glory teaches that love need not ever die. Instead,
love may go on indefinitely, if the body’s remains are properly
preserved. The deity of love at any price, Evening Glory
appears as an exquisitely preserved woman with
ice-white (almost translucent) fl esh and platinumwhite,
neck-length hair. She has eyes of baby blue,
with lips, fi ngernails, and toenails the same
color. She is fl awless, despite (or because of)
her necrotic chill. Disdaining simple nudity,
the Deathless Beauty prefers extravagant,
backless gowns. A heart-shaped, oddly alluring
hole completely pierces the palm of each
of her bloodless hands. Evening Glory’s symbol is
an open hand, pierced through the palm with a heartshaped
hole.
The Eternal Lover appeals strongly to immortality
seekers, lovers, and undead. Still, anyone who has loved
and lost, or knows love and fears its end, is a potential worshiper
of Evening Glory. Most who worship her are undead, or soon
become undead after worshiping her for a time. Many of her
followers would rather welcome the followers of other faiths,
but it is hard to welcome members of faiths that believe undeath
must be eradicated.
Evening Glory teaches that desire is all that matters, and the
desire for the love of another should never be allowed to fail
through the depredations of age. Those whose love transcends
life should seek life everlasting through the grace of undeath.
The perfect preservation may freeze love forever. While the resurrection
of tragically slain lovers may do for some, nothing can
stay old age’s imperious fi nal call—nothing but the embrace of
undeath.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  13:12:02  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might use her as a NPC instead of a goddess in my Realms. Unique motivations like Evening Glory's are perfect for attributing to recurring characters. Perhaps as one of the Masked Lords of Waterdeep?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  21:01:35  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If as a deity, I'd use her as an aspect of Sune instead of a new deity.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  21:09:04  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

If as a deity, I'd use her as an aspect of Sune instead of a new deity.

That is one scary, creepy aspect of Sune.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  21:16:37  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate aspects and never use them. I'm thinking about starting a conflict between Evening Glory and Sune themselves, even. I'm just not sure as to how I'm going to go about it at first.

Any ideas as to how to introduce her to the Realms and how to start off the feud would be much appreciated. I have some ideas floating around in my head, but I want to see if there are any more that I could use as inspiration.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  21:50:00  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very creepy. Kind of a Twilight teenage angst/eternal love flavor. And those holes in her hands? Wtf? Get away from me.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  22:04:08  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erendriel Durothil

I hate aspects and never use them. I'm thinking about starting a conflict between Evening Glory and Sune themselves, even. I'm just not sure as to how I'm going to go about it at first.

Any ideas as to how to introduce her to the Realms and how to start off the feud would be much appreciated. I have some ideas floating around in my head, but I want to see if there are any more that I could use as inspiration.

Heretics of Sune who were excommunicated from the church.
Or they haven't been discovered yet and still exist within Sune’s church.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 08 Feb 2012 22:07:38
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  22:52:46  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Evening Glory sounds like a cross between Sune and Ilmater/Issek of the Jug, beauty and suffering intertwined.

I'd introduce her to the Realms as a faith mostly ran by "beautiful" undead, you know the kind that look mostly human, but there's something off about them when you see them? That kind. This faith could believe that the state of undeath is the next natural evolution in humanity, much like how the Borg Queen on TNG felt the Borg were an improvement upon the weakness of the flesh. They might enjoy turning Sunites and Lathanderites into prettier beings, helping them along with their physical augmentations into undeath. I like the excommunicated Sunites idea. A segment of the Sunite faith dedicated to achieving perfection through the beauty and longevity of undeath.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  12:00:48  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this a canonical goddess cause I have yet to come across any mention of her. Any idea where one might read up on her a bit more?
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  12:50:39  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read a description like that and go 'It's a goddess of necrophilia? Riiiiiiight...'

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  14:49:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, I can see her fitting in well as a secondary god on the isle of the necromancer kings.... but I also don't think Thasmudyan would like her much.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  16:21:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't make her an aspect of Sune, if it were me. 'Death' should be anathema to 'beauty' , IMHO.

Which is why I think this goddess is so cool - She breaks the mold. Leave her separate, she works better that way. She could just be an ascended mortal (demi-power/saint/exarch), under Sune's command (who may or may not be trying undermine Sune's church).

In other words, it should work (IMO) similar to how Velsharoon 'serves' Mystra.

Thanks for bringing this deity to my attention - she is uber kewl (and creepy).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Feb 2012 16:23:01
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  04:19:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I wouldn't make her an aspect of Sune, if it were me. 'Death' should be anathema to 'beauty' , IMHO.

Aspects can be opposites. There's a theory that Shar and Selune are aspects of one deity who, as part of her contingency, split her essence and became two separate entities. Going by that line of reasoning, one can say Evening Glory could well be Sune's aspect, or her long lost twin.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  14:11:23  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharess during her imprisonment by Shar
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  14:39:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have my own (very long and convoluted) theories about Sharess/Baast.

@Dennis - but I am not seeing them so much as 'opposites' (which you would then be correct - we have several examples of that, like the two aspects of Tyche), but rather, just related in some strange, creepy fashion. A 'love of death' is far stretch from love & beauty - its more of a 'fetish thing' (which is why she would work well as an aspect of Sharess).

I will have to (mentally, since I don't have my old notes) go over my theories regarding Sharess/Baast again - I have her pegged as an ever-evolving primal 'beast Lord' (similar to an archfey), that got enmeshed in the first godwar, and "its been a long, bumpy ride" ever since. The 'Evening Glory' thing fits canon Sharess, but doesn't mesh so well with my own theories.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  01:57:42  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Death can't be beautiful?

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  10:21:00  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

That is one scary, creepy aspect of Sune.
Why? Not everyone who likes a vampire have to resemble, ahem, hardcore Twilight fans.
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

I'd introduce her to the Realms as a faith mostly ran by "beautiful" undead, you know the kind that look mostly human, but there's something off about them when you see them? That kind. This faith could believe that the state of undeath is the next natural evolution in humanity, much like how the Borg Queen on TNG felt the Borg were an improvement upon the weakness of the flesh.
Err... What's point to disneyify such a twisty concept to the point where already existing Velsharoon fits much better?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  10:25:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

Most people consider death as the untimely end of life. [So much more to do, but opportunities are crushed as Death comes knocking on the door.] Thus, they hardly think of death in the positive light. However, for people who died a "heroic" death (saving a damsel in distress, serving his patron deity, defending a village from orcs, etc.), and for those who've lived long enough and crave eternal rest, death can be that exactly---beautiful.

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  13:56:50  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Most people consider death as the untimely end of life. [So much more to do, but opportunities are crushed as Death comes knocking on the door.] Thus, they hardly think of death in the positive light. However, for people who died a "heroic" death (saving a damsel in distress, serving his patron deity, defending a village from orcs, etc.), and for those who've lived long enough and crave eternal rest, death can be that exactly---beautiful.

I don't know. I think there can be a whole range of emotions regarding death. By and large, I tend to think of it as a natural ending, one way or the other. That might just be me, though. And I'm certainly influenced by figures like Discworld's Death, Death of the Endless, or even Kelemvor (as he eventually came to treat it in 3E, anyway).

"You lived what anybody gets. You got a lifetime."

One way or the other, is death any more than just the inevitable next step? How can it really be ugly?

(Apologies if this goes into maudlin philosophy somewhat.)

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  15:04:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Death itself is neither beautiful nor ugly. It's the mere moments, the closest ones, that one experiences before his death that define its beauty or ugliness. Definition by association. Hardly accurate, but most people can't help themselves but think that way.

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  15:37:55  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evening Glory has given DMs in the past a lot of trouble. They're too used to undead being evil.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  20:57:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Death isn't even an ending.

Its just another 'gate' people step through.

{from a D&D perspective, of course}

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  07:02:04  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Shadowflame

I read a description like that and go 'It's a goddess of necrophilia? Riiiiiiight...'

That's pretty much what I thought as well.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  12:32:58  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Evening Glory has given DMs in the past a lot of trouble. They're too used to undead being evil.
What, in Realms? Weird.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  16:54:20  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Sharess during her imprisonment by Shar

quote:

@Dennis - but I am not seeing them so much as 'opposites' (which you would then be correct - we have several examples of that, like the two aspects of Tyche), but rather, just related in some strange, creepy fashion. A 'love of death' is far stretch from love & beauty - its more of a 'fetish thing' (which is why she would work well as an aspect of Sharess).

I was going to say quite vehemently that I don't think Evening Glory could be Sharess or related to her, but now I'm having second thoughts. My own take on Sharess and undeath is as follows:

"Those [liches or baelnorns] who elect to remain [after death] out of a sense of duty or obligation and who do not do evil should perhaps be pitied, for by binding themselves to a dead shell have cut themselves off from many of the joys that life affords. I would prefer a short life full of pleasures than an eternity of half-pleasures, and would be tormented knowing that I could not experience the entirety of what the world has to offer. What good, after all, is eternal life if you can't have any fun?"

On the other hand, I can see Sharess, during her time as one of the Maidens of the Forbidden Fruit, getting into some really kinky, debased, hardcore and excessive stuff. While Shar herself isn't undead and probably doesn't have much to do with them, if she had managed to make Sharess into some sort of drugged-out emo-goth type then the latter might even turn undead purely out of sheer despair, in effect making her 'living death' under Shar a literal reality.

Whether or not Evening Glory as an aspect of Sharess would continue to exist after the latter is returned to life and beauty by Sune through the action of the waters of the Evergold is an open question, but I expect that phase of her existence could at least be a dirty secret (a 'skeleton in her closet', as it were) that Sharess might very well want put to rest once and for all.

Certainly this approach would be interesting in terms of fostering secret sects and cults for the players to interact with. If you're playing pre-4e and Sharess is only a demi-power (something I disagree with ), Evening Glory would still be another step down the ladder of divinity, which doesn't give her a lot of power. For EG to avoid detection by Sharess she'd probably have to encourage her followers to be fanatically felicidal, for one thing (which wouldn't help matters between them). Or if EG's followers exist within Sharess's church they might have to be very rigid in the circumstances under which they express their 'demented lusts' - a control that is rather at odds with how the Princess of Passion's follower's usually behave. One could argue that they'd probably be borderline insane. Those with Sharran leanings might encourage EG's followers as a way of luring them back to Shar herself.

quote:

Leave her separate, she works better that way. She could just be an ascended mortal (demi-power/saint/exarch), under Sune's command (who may or may not be trying undermine Sune's church).

Or you can go with this.

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess

Edited by - xaviera on 17 Mar 2012 16:56:32
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  17:18:14  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

That whole evacuating the bowels tend to have a rather uglifying effect.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

glitter
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2012 :  11:53:20  Show Profile Send glitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is one of my favourite deities in D&D of all time! She has to be one of the most unique and unexpected deities in all of D&D space. My question is- how might I easily bring her into FR?

I've been thinking of having her just be there, and then make out a story line with her followers in a conflict with Sune and other such deities. What do you guys think?

Well, the relation with "good" churches is difficult to imagine since that deity break the paradigm of "only evil undead".
But as an obviously small religion, with limited followers, it can be used anywhere in the Realms without always a bunch of paladins on a seek and destroy mission.

One friend is very fond of that goddess in fact, and the DM can easily bring some morals conflicts with such neutral undead that may looks pleasant for players but remains difficult to cope with according to the characters played and of course, with the potential vilalge, close to a black and frightening tower with a "nice couple" of vampire" living there.

So I would say the main difficulty is for the DM, who must have a clear idea about potential interactions with the rest of the world.

-The black knight is invincible!
- You’re a looney.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000