Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gem Magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  02:15:07  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't know if other settings had this, but I remember in both 2e and 3.x that Faerun has "magic" gems. Using particular gems in magic item construction would give it bonuses; for instance, using a sapphire on a magic sword gave it's bearer protection from fear effects. Other gemstones give bonuses to skill checks, or reduce the chances of a spell failing, or +1 to AC, or cause fire spells to do extra damage, made illusion spells harder to detect, etc, depending on what you used. This sort of thing was in both 2e (Volo's Guide to All Things Magical) and 3.5e (Magic of Faerun, I think, and there was even a prestige class for Gem Magic where you could store spells in gems to be triggered later, that kind of thing).

Has anyone done a treatment like this for 4e? With the non-Vancian magic it might not look the same, but I had a character in mind from an old campaign that I was thinking to update to 4e, and this was part of his schtick. Thanks for any input!

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7981 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  05:33:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many jewels and gemstones of a magical nature unique to the Realms such as King's Tears, Roguestones, Amarathas, Beljurils, and Netherese Chardalyns, to name just a few. Many are described in 2E Volo's Guide to All Things Magical and Forgotten Realms Adventures, although many more are described in scattered bits of Realmslore pertaining to the particular regions where they are most commonly found or used.

The 1E DMG had a few pages summarizing the magical properties attributed to gems, jewels, crystals, and such stuff ... basically the same sort of information you'll find in any book of the occult at your library or pagan bookstore. It also vaguely touched upon the idea of crystals, particularly burnt-out Ioun stones, having some use as receptacles or lenses for focussing psionic energies.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  05:48:57  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there were also the elvish kiira and selukiira.

Sorry, I'm not aware of a 4E update on FR gems, though.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  14:07:58  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always loved the Ioun Stones (spelling?) from 2nd Ed

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 24 Oct 2011 14:08:20
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  16:26:33  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, the stuff in 2e Volo's is what got me started on it so many years ago! Just wondering if that info had been translated/updated for 4e at all.

Some of it seems like it might translate fairly well, particularly stones that don't have mechanical benefits. An example might be Archon/Blue John, which glows when an invisible creature is within 20 feet of it. (useful for both adventurers AND paranoid bad guy lairs!) You'd have to gauge an ability like that against PC powers though; detecting invisible creatures could be an encounter utility power for someone and that would completely trivialize it.

Some stones had "defensive" abilities which might be updatable. For instance, wearing something with Algae Quartz is supposed to give a +2 to saving throws against polymorph or other shape-changing spells. That's applicable, though pretty powerful; I'm thinking you'd have to put some size/cost limit to it (ie the stone has to be worth at least 1000gp or something). Another example is Alestone, which is supposed to give you a +1 to AC on the side of the body which it is worn. With the current combat mechanics, facing isn't really applicable, and a straight +1 to AC for a 50gp semiprecious stone is crazy talk, so there'd have to be some way to balance that.

Other stones don't translate quite as well. An example might be a Black Opal, which can be prepared like an explosive to do 6d8 damage in a 20' radius, 4d8 in a 40' radius, and 2d8 in a 60' radius (ie you take less damage the farther you are from the explosion). There are level 30 daily powers which do less than 6d8 damage, so this is probably not one of those things that's a direct crossover. Also, take something like Iris Agate: it rebounds any spell cast on it at it's caster. For a 2gp amulet, you too can be invincible to ranged casters! Somehow I don't see that going over with my DM, although it's "in the book". :)

So anyways, that's the sort of thing I'm looking at, and pondering how to update it. Both as a PC who specializes in buffing powers/abilities with that sort of thing, and as a DM tool/dirty trick (good luck infiltrating the castle with Ring of Invisibility, when every doorway has an invisibility detector over it!)

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7981 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  18:07:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the past my players have chewed certain roots, worn certain cheap little charms and bracelets, always carried certain gemstones upon their person ... and received all manner of little immunities and resistances and bonuses: immune to fear, resistant to lightning, absorb a little magic into healing power, etc etc. A lot of paperwork, silly rocks and roots and feathers and chickenbones, but it all adds up.

So I agree with imposing some sort of ultimate limits. In my game this really breaks down to the usual DM strategies:
  • Require the right skill or feat, or whatever. Although the substance might have all manner of magical properties attributed to it (and many people will firmly attest and exaggerate these properties), it is in fact completely inert unless somehow activated through the use of relevant lore or ritual. Some people will know that bits of that pretty yellow crystal can resonate in a way which reduces damage from sonic attacks, or many people will firmly believe that's the case, but only somebody skilled in gemlore and spellcraft will really know the truth about the yellow crystal, why it works, and how to use it.

• Whatever is done to make the substance useful could yield very low quantities. Perhaps only one leaf in every thousand has the correct qualities to grant immunity to fear when boiled into tea, much as only one 4-leaf clover in every field could grant extra luck. Or perhaps one needs to cast a spell on the leaves before gathering them, or shine moonlight through a prism upon them for a full night, or add a drop of blood into the tea, or whatever. You could gather leaves all day and fill a dozen sacks, and make tea from any of them, yet receive real game bonuses from only one cup of tea and only when things are done properly. If the PCs want huge batches of these special tea leaves then they'll have to invest significant time or resources into harvesting and preparing them.

• Enforce some kind of expiration period before the substance loses potency. Sometimes a very short one, measured in days or hours or minutes ... this would provide some explanation why people tend to gather those special flower petals of poison resistance only as opportunity presents, why they don't simply farm and process and hoard warehouses full of them. PCs usually don't try to fill three saddlebags with such useful stuff when they know it'll spoil. The magical properties of gemstones certainly do spoil after a time, usually beginning when they're removed (mined) from nature.

• [/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Oct 2011 18:21:19
    Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
    Great Reader

USA
    3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  18:56:45  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Interesting. I came up with some gem/stone properties and a Stone Mage prC for my home campaigns, loosely based on some of the 2nd ed lore and occult stone magic info, but I don't play 4th ed, so I have no idea if anything would cross over for that. I agree wtih Ayrik, though stones tend to keep their properties far better than other items. The idea being that the power comes from the stone's shape, clarity, size, color, etc, rather than being simply a function of where it was found. Of course, I use a different magical system for my world, with ley lines, power sinks and wells, and cosmic resonances as the source of magical power, and stones or other items found in such places would naturally be stronger than those found elsewhere.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
    http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
    Go to Top of Page

Rils
    Learned Scribe

USA
    108 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  20:44:16  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ayrik

In the past my players have chewed certain roots, worn certain cheap little charms and bracelets, always carried certain gemstones upon their person ... and received all manner of little immunities and resistances and bonuses: immune to fear, resistant to lightning, absorb a little magic into healing power, etc etc. A lot of paperwork, silly rocks and roots and feathers and chickenbones, but it all adds up.

Yeah, I could totally see this. Unfortunately, I think that was where my original character was starting to head with things - buying bits of this stone, a chunk of that rock, he probably had about 20 lbs of minerals hanging off his neck, lol. Of course that was back in my "yute" when the DM was the enemy, and you did whatever sneaky thing you could do to foil him... :)

Now, I would definitely involve my DM in how this plays out. In 4e terms, I'm thinking I would start with an Artificer, who gets some rituals like Brew Potion and Enchant Magic Item for free. The way gem enhancements worked in 3.x was basically you pay the cost to make the magic item, plus the cost to add an appropriate gem of a minimum size (usually 5000gp or so). Basically, adding the gem enhanced the magic item you were already creating. Value(magic item) = Cost(base item) + Cost(gem).

Come to think of it, much like the mechanics of the Eberron Dragonshards in 4e... Only not swappable. I'll have to look into that, I don't recall the specifics.

I like the idea that the magic of the gems in inherent, but maybe takes the right application of magic to "bring out". Like in 3.x, a "Gem Lore" feat should be required to gain the appropriate knowledge and ability to craft magic items with gem enhancements. Any schmuck can hot-glue a Beljuril to a wand, but crafting the wand so that the gem adds a couple d6 extra lightning damage takes some know-how.

Because I'm a visual kind of guy, last night I actually started a spreadsheet of all the gems and powers from the 2e book. I'll cross reference it to the 3e material, then it's "simply" a matter of figuring out how it translates into 4e terms. Easy peasy.

Now if only I could figure out how to explain this new hobby to my wife... lol

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7981 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  21:06:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I would think the best way to implement this idea while retaining 4E's level of simplicity and abstraction would be to simply grant flat bonuses, which perhaps increase in effectiveness and versatility as additional feats and experience levels are added. The description of your crystalmancing artificer might simply assume that he constantly equips himself with a varied collection of these little rock bits without needing to specify each one in detail; such detail would only be required for any special stones he acquires which surpass his class abilities. Just my suggestion.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36784 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  21:53:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rils

Also, take something like Iris Agate: it rebounds any spell cast on it at it's caster. For a 2gp amulet, you too can be invincible to ranged casters! Somehow I don't see that going over with my DM, although it's "in the book". :)

I think you're misinterpreting that. Page 42 of Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, formerly a suppressed work , says about iris agate: "A spell that is hurled against a screen or statue of this material rebounds right back at its source."

As a DM, he could easily say that any spell not targeting your amulet would be unaffected by it. He could say you'd need a shield or armor covered in iris agate to protect an individual. That's actually how I'm reading it.

Alternately, you could run with your interpretation, but still be vulnerable to area of effect magic or indirect magic -- like summoning some critter to rip into the amulet wearer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
    Great Reader

USA
    3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  21:59:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I agree with Wooly on that one. Looks like you have to have a lot of it to make that work.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
    http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7981 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  23:15:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    lol, my players learned long long ago not to rely on mere typos for survival.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
    Master of Realmslore

USA
    1151 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  00:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    There was a "gem mage" that featured pretty heavily in James Lowders The Ring of Winter. This type of wizard was able to use gems in place of other material components.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
    The Anchorome Campaign
    Go to Top of Page

Rils
    Learned Scribe

USA
    108 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  04:19:48  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    You guys are right, sorry, was going off of memory there. The point is still the same though - some of the old gem benefits got a little awkward and/or abstract. Updating to 4e will take some condensing.

(PS - sory if my comment was confusing, the point with the Iris Agate was to illustrate the silliness of the old stuff, and that it's not really applicable to the modern system. i wouldn't even insult my DM by trying to pull that kind of stunt nowadays! lol)

Looked closer at the 3.x stuff today, it's much more simple: "adding this gem for 5Kgp to a wand that casts [insert spell type here, ie evocation] adds 2 to the saving throw or 2 to caster level if no save."

That sort of model is more applicable to 4e I think. Something like "this gem does 1d6 extra lightning damage", or "this gem gives -2 to saves against charm spells cast with this implement." That sort of thing.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
    Great Reader

USA
    3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  13:47:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Seethyr

There was a "gem mage" that featured pretty heavily in James Lowders The Ring of Winter. This type of wizard was able to use gems in place of other material components.

That could get pricey

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
    Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  20:40:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Did that novel take place in Chult? Hmmmm... That would explain the back-panel blurb on the product Jungles of Chult -

"Wizards, be prepared for new magical spells and new methods of magic use based on gemstones."

No such system was ever included in that product (which was also supposed to contain another map that was cut for costs showing the rest of the peninsula, which I tried to track-down for years).

<sigh> So much good Realmslore must have been lost over the years due to size constraints.
    quote:
    Originally posted by entreri3478

That could get pricey
    Not necessarily - in the case of material substitutions, I believe that certain gems can be used and not be destroyed, and therefor be reused, and save you money in the log-run. IIRC, there was a Dragon magazine article about this.

Even if it took years to pay-off, just the efficiency alone of never having to scramble for components in new locales would justify the expense.

Not that this mattered in my games - I didn't want to be bothered with the bookeeping of spell-components (and couldn't trust my players to), so I just 'taxed' them based on level whenever they were in-town (a very abstract way of saying they were 'gathering materials').

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Oct 2011 20:53:29
    Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
    Great Reader

USA
    3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  21:23:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Did that novel take place in Chult? Hmmmm... That would explain the back-panel blurb on the product Jungles of Chult -

"Wizards, be prepared for new magical spells and new methods of magic use based on gemstones."

No such system was ever included in that product (which was also supposed to contain another map that was cut for costs showing the rest of the peninsula, which I tried to track-down for years).

<sigh> So much good Realmslore must have been lost over the years due to size constraints.
    quote:

That could get pricey
    Not necessarily - in the case of material substitutions, I believe that certain gems can be used and not be destroyed, and therefor be reused, and save you money in the log-run. IIRC, there was a Dragon magazine article about this.

Even if it took years to pay-off, just the efficiency alone of never having to scramble for components in new locales would justify the expense.

Not that this mattered in my games - I didn't want to be bothered with the bookeeping of spell-components (and couldn't trust my players to), so I just 'taxed' them based on level whenever they were in-town (a very abstract way of saying they were 'gathering materials').

I never bothered with physical spell components in my campaigns. I always preferred my magic-users to appear separate from chemists

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
    Master of Realmslore

USA
    1151 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  22:00:44  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That could get pricey

I never bothered with physical spell components in my campaigns. I always preferred my magic-users to appear separate from chemists

In the 90's when the Ring of Winter came out out and I was barely a teen, I wrote Mr. Lowder a letter about the gem mages of Chult and he kindly responded...

quote:
    James Lowder wrote

As for the gem wizards, the spells they cast are very much like any other mage's, with the exception of the components. Because many "standard" components are rare in Chult, gemstone wizards substitute precious and semi-precious stones whenever possible. They also specialize in gem lore and try to use the common magic that all stones are supposed to possess.

He then gave me some good RL gem lore references like The Mystical Lore of Precious Stones by George Frederick Kuntz.

Oddly, I sometimes miss the days of snail mail...

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
    The Anchorome Campaign
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  02:25:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:

I can't recall exactly where I learned this [likely the REALMS-L], but I think that was content cut from the original Jungles of Chult tome.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
    Go to Top of Page

Rils
    Learned Scribe

USA
    108 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  15:36:29  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I had no idea about that stuff... Cool, thanks for sharing! Did it ever reappear anywhere else?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  06:36:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Some of it may have been used elsewhere - perhaps Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.

@Sage - I read about the 'lost map' in the Realms L:-List, but I don't recall any mention of the missing gem-lore (although I always assumed those back-cover blurbs were written well in advance, with high expectations, that oft-times could not be met). The only reason that particular product stuck in my craw was because I only bought it for that "new magic system based on gems" - at the time I still ran GH and didn't give an Osquip's arse about Chult.

The back of one of the Bloodstone products was another good example of that - it implies Ten Towns was supposed to be in Vassa. Personally, I think it would have made a better fit. Perhaps they wouldn't have had to rotate the entire map 7 degrees counter-clockwise in 3e to accommodate Icewind Dale.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2011 :  08:45:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

@Sage - I read about the 'lost map' in the Realms L:-List, but I don't recall any mention of the missing gem-lore (although I always assumed those back-cover blurbs were written well in advance, with high expectations, that oft-times could not be met).
    It's a direct quote from Tom Costa, as I recall. I'm quite distance from my archives at the moment, so I'll have to check when I get back home.

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
    Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
    310 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  20:51:10  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

@Sage - I read about the 'lost map' in the Realms L:-List, but I don't recall any mention of the missing gem-lore (although I always assumed those back-cover blurbs were written well in advance, with high expectations, that oft-times could not be met).
    It's a direct quote from Tom Costa, as I recall. I'm quite distance from my archives at the moment, so I'll have to check when I get back home.

I just pulled out my files for Jungle. There was originally supposed to be more material on the gem magic, including a list of spells and what gems would be used for components. I don't recall all the details of how this exactly played out, but some of the resource material was cut to make more room for the adventure, which ran long. (I was originally supposed to write the adventure, too, and had something plotted out, but asked Jean Rabe to do it when deadlines blew up on books I was editing for the company as part of my day job.) The gem magic was not a new magic system, though.

Yes, there was supposed to be an additional map with more details about the interior from Refuge Bay to Mezro. It was supposed to look hand-drawn and appear to be a Harper-related artifact.
    Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  21:22:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Thank you Mr. Lowder for that - since I am relying mostly on memory these days I can't really be 100% sure about a lot of what I say here now.

I'd love to see that missing lore - so much has been lost over the years because of space requirements. I understand some of the map made it into Serpent Kingdoms, but I notice there are always a couple of places lost between editions, and I just love uncovering those.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Oct 2011 21:22:39
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  02:41:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by JamesLowder

quote:
    Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I just pulled out my files for Jungle. There was originally supposed to be more material on the gem magic, including a list of spells and what gems would be used for components. I don't recall all the details of how this exactly played out, but some of the resource material was cut to make more room for the adventure, which ran long.
    Thanks James. Glad to see I was recalling the situation [somewhat] as it originally played out.

It's a shame that gem magic content was cut. I really would've liked to have seen what it brought to the existing use of magic in the region of Chult.

Go to Top of Page

Rils
    Learned Scribe

USA
    108 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  17:30:19  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    It's a shame that gem magic content was cut. I really would've liked to have seen what it brought to the existing use of magic in the region of Chult.

+1, no, +5!! Any chance of sharing some of that info on the forums here, just "for old times sake"?

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
    Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  18:49:42  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    If memory serves right, Gem Magic was also covered in the 3e Magic of Faerun product...
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:48:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Indeed, it was. And there's a few tidbits in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical as well.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
    Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2012 :  15:10:29  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    That was weird. Have the wards here at the 'Keep been bypassed again, Sage?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2012 :  00:54:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    It's all Wooly's fault. He left the cage open.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
    Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
    11744 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2012 :  11:24:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:

Well, another way to look at it might be "lots of bad realmslore was prevented by size constraints". Not saying this was necessarily bad, just saying that man there's been a good bit to come out over the years that really could have used an editor's pen.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000