Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Underworld: Awakening
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  12:34:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Has anyone seen it? The story’s okay, but not something you haven’t heard of or seen. I feel there’s a lot that got edited out. 99% of the film is all action. Which is not exactly bad in itself, as it is fun to watch Celine do her thing. Clearly, there would be a sequel, which must be darker. And I hope to see more “competent” vampires. Celine should begin training a coven or two, as most of them rather prefer hiding.

We’ve had Realms novels centered on elves, wizards, liches, dragons, angels, and devils. But never a vampire-centric novel. If there would be one, how would you want it to be? What sex and class would the protagonist be? Female and fighter? Wizard? Rogue? Who would be the villain/s? Which realm would the setting be? And who would you want to pen it?

Every beginning has an end.

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  12:44:19  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there is Vampire of the Mists that are semi-Forgotten Realms and vampire centric (Jandar Sunstar). I'd like to see a vampire novel that walks the line between lifeless murderer and heroic do-gooder. As for what they should be, I could see either a Female or Male protagonist, though I'd prefer a female one (we don't see too many of those in Realms novels) AND that she'd be a fighter with some magical abilities. Not a lot, just a few things that help with social interactions, possibly some "combat" spells or spells that deal with shadows.

As for the movie, one question: Do thay explain what happens to Michael Corvin (the hybrid from the first two movies)? I hear he wasn't in the movie, but at least a tid-bit of what happens would be nice.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  13:00:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, I would like that as well. Female figther-mage. And chaotic good, or chaotic neutral.

It's a SPOILER, but since you ask for it, then prepare yourself:

Michael was shot and bombed by humans. Celine came for him, but was too late. They were both imprisoned (and frozen) in a facility called Antigen for twelve years. Their daughter, the most powerful hybrid in existence, freed Celine. Chaos (naturally) ensued. Celine stumbled upon her husband's prison, and broke it. But she didn't have enough time to wait for him to wake up as she had to get their daughter quickly (who was captured by a lycan scientist). When she came back, Michael's nowhere to be found... The 'family reunion' is yet to happen.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  13:16:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Yes, I would like that as well. Female figther-mage. And chaotic good, or chaotic neutral.

I wonder why we don't see too many female protagonists? There was Shandril, Alias, Narnra Shalace (one of Elminster's daughters), Arylin Moonblade.....can't think of many more.

quote:

Michael was shot and bombed by humans. Celine came for him, but was too late. They were both imprisoned (and frozen) in a facility called Antigen for twelve years. Their daughter, the most powerful hybrid in existence, freed Celine. Chaos (naturally) ensued. Celine stumbled upon her husband's prison, and broke it. But she didn't have enough time to wait for him to wake up as she had to get their daughter quickly (who was captured by a lycan scientist). When she came back, Michael's nowhere to be found... The 'family reunion' is yet to happen.

Hmmm, well at least there's a way for him to possibly come back. That gives me hope. Thanks for the imput!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  13:34:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

I wonder why we don't see too many female protagonists? There was Shandril, Alias, Narnra Shalace (one of Elminster's daughters), Arylin Moonblade.....can't think of many more.

Off the top of my head, there's Ususi (Darkvision), Liriel (Starlight and Shadows), and Amira (Frostfell).

quote:

quote:

Hmmm, well at least there's a way for him to possibly come back. That gives me hope. Thanks for the imput!

There's someone else who temporarily filled in his shoes. But he's a rather nigh-incompetent vampire, albeit brave (and good-looking). He belongs to a coven whose leader (his father) prefers that they hide than fight.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  13:38:28  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read about the argument of the movie and found out to weirdy... also didn't like the too Disney teenage look of Celene's daughter. To be honest the Underworld movie I liked the best was the third one that starred Lucian, who was my fav char from the first one.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  13:55:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Too Disney? Have you seen her face when she transforms into a vamwolf? Not something kids would like to see.

I agree that so far, the third is the best. Apart from the fact that it's got the most action scenes, it has a remarkable cast and a more decent storyline.

I can say that the prequel, Rise of the Lycans, is also good, even though I don't have much love for the werewolves. Plus, it ties in the story of the trilogy rather well.

The latest installment, I must say, doesn't disappoint, either. It's still dark and gory, and you'll never get bored with Kate Beckinsale.

Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  14:27:36  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TBH any vampiric based novels would just feel like they are jumping on the Twilight juggernaut/bandwagon. Not really got any interest of a vampire centric novel, it just seems old hat now. I prefer Vampires as the antagonist rather than the protagonist, sure there are exceptions to the rule, but it just feels like the exceptions are the norm now! Sort of like good drow.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  14:56:46  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Twilight is it's own entity and unless the novel goes heavily into teenager-angsty love or sparkling skin, I won't think it falls into that area. Another exception is Blade, but again I'd propose that a Realms vampire novel NOT fall into this area either. Thats why the Vampire protagonist should be a bit a-moral. A "the ends justify the means" attitude that's always fighting with her/his blood-thirst (and more often than not, losing). Sort of like Blood-Rayne but Realms-style.

Actually, I think something along the lines of Red Steel. A female protagonist from Kara-Tur has to leave her homeland due to people finding out what she is. So she leaves the past behind her and goes West along the Golden Way. She's pursued by a Kara-Tur stylized Von Richten who has no regard for life and his pursuit of her is his life's goal. He hunts her to study and examine, not out-right destroy and he's strong is alchemy, the Art, and warding magic. In the novel, we'll get a LOT of info about the area, the history, the culture (which is really needed) of Kara-Tur and the East. She'll bring some interesting weapons to the West, such as unique firearms and Katanas (not unheard of, but not common) and her vampiric-infuesed Martial Art abilities. Her name is Suzari Kuroto (born 1411 DR). I'm liking it. Maybe I'll write it......
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  16:37:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tamsar

TBH any vampiric based novels would just feel like they are jumping on the Twilight juggernaut/bandwagon. Not really got any interest of a vampire centric novel, it just seems old hat now. I prefer Vampires as the antagonist rather than the protagonist, sure there are exceptions to the rule, but it just feels like the exceptions are the norm now! Sort of like good drow.

Ravenloft has some vampire-centric novels, and all those, I heard, don't go the Twilight path.

And of course, who would forget Warhammer? It's spawned a lot of vampire-centric novels that attract even the readers who used to shun said creatures. Though for the Realms version, I would understand if they decide to tone it down a mote, as Warhammer is a little bit too dark.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  16:40:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, I think something along the lines of Red Steel. A female protagonist from Kara-Tur has to leave her homeland due to people finding out what she is. So she leaves the past behind her and goes West along the Golden Way. She's pursued by a Kara-Tur stylized Von Richten who has no regard for life and his pursuit of her is his life's goal. He hunts her to study and examine, not out-right destroy and he's strong is alchemy, the Art, and warding magic. In the novel, we'll get a LOT of info about the area, the history, the culture (which is really needed) of Kara-Tur and the East. She'll bring some interesting weapons to the West, such as unique firearms and Katanas (not unheard of, but not common) and her vampiric-infuesed Martial Art abilities. Her name is Suzari Kuroto (born 1411 DR). I'm liking it. Maybe I'll write it......

Not bad, but I prefer her to have more vampire (and whatnot) enemies, and also a handful of vampire allies from different corners of the world.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  17:12:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite vampire ideas is one I came up with in one of my earliest Hooks. There's a famous paladin vampire hunter whose luck ran out, and he became a vampire. No one knows this, only that he mysteriously disappeared.

The PCs are hired to guard a particular wagon, part of a convoy to Silverymoon. Along the way, people keep turning up lethargic and with two little puncture wounds on their neck. The PCs eventually figure out its a vampire, and figure out said vampire is in one of the crates on the wagon they're guiding.

But then they find out the vampire is the famous paladin vampire hunter. He has to feed, but he's been spreading it out and not killing anyone... He just wants to get home, to his home temple in Silverymoon, and to be laid to rest by his brethren there. Now the PCs have to decide: do they kill him out of hand, even though he's not permanently harmed anyone, or do they help him get to the final resting place he desparately wants?

I didn't include it in the Hook, but now that I think on it, it would work better if there was a priest of Lathander along, who knew about the whole thing, and was trying to help get the fallen paladin home...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  17:16:13  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not bad, but I prefer her to have more vampire (and whatnot) enemies, and also a handful of vampire allies from different corners of the world.

Who said the Kara-Tur Von Richten isn't a vampire, experimenting on other vampires to become more powerful or looking for a cure to the affliction or to find a way to survive in sunlight?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  17:29:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

One of my favorite vampire ideas is one I came up with in one of my earliest Hooks. There's a famous paladin vampire hunter whose luck ran out, and he became a vampire. No one knows this, only that he mysteriously disappeared.

The PCs are hired to guard a particular wagon, part of a convoy to Silverymoon. Along the way, people keep turning up lethargic and with two little puncture wounds on their neck. The PCs eventually figure out its a vampire, and figure out said vampire is in one of the crates on the wagon they're guiding.

But then they find out the vampire is the famous paladin vampire hunter. He has to feed, but he's been spreading it out and not killing anyone... He just wants to get home, to his home temple in Silverymoon, and to be laid to rest by his brethren there. Now the PCs have to decide: do they kill him out of hand, even though he's not permanently harmed anyone, or do they help him get to the final resting place he desparately wants?

I didn't include it in the Hook, but now that I think on it, it would work better if there was a priest of Lathander along, who knew about the whole thing, and was trying to help get the fallen paladin home...

Sounds good, albeit melodramatic.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  17:33:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Who said the Kara-Tur Von Richten isn't a vampire, experimenting on other vampires to become more powerful or looking for a cure to the affliction or to find a way to survive in sunlight?

I didn't say he's not. When I said "more," I meant more vampire masterminds sending out vampire dupes and other undead to hunt her down.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  18:43:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my own setting, I've used a lot of the Vamp lore/storylines from movies and other games (White Wolf) - I like the juxtaposition of vamps vs Lycans.

However, I tied everything together more (because of D&D's redundancy), and have it where the Elves (who are all Lythari in my setting) are the mortal enemies of undead, in all its forms, because they consider them abominations against nature. Vamps, naturally, are at the top of the food-chain (and in my HB world, Liches are just Vampire Magi).

There is this substance called 'morphic Blood' (which comes from my own aberation-race, which are vaguely reminscent of the Batrachi) - anyone with it can 'mate' with another species. However, occasionally a crossbreed (human/elf) inherits the Wolf form, and thats how Lycanthropy started on my world. The change drives most humans insane (so Werewolves = BAD).

My Lythari (just Elves on my world) have one natural form they can take, wolf being the most popular. There are others as well (felines, birds, etc... even horses). This means there is a variable at-play on the rare occasion when they mate with humans, and one particular bloodline (of humans) is able to take bear form (a form no Elf has ever been known to take). These are my Werebears, and they are based on the Beornings of Middel-Earth (I borrow from everywhere).

Its actually a lot more complicated then that - that's the stripped-down version. Anyway, I don't use twilight-style vamps, but I do use such concepts as 'Daywalkers', Nosferatu (Feral vamps), Damphyr, and Ghouls (the WoD style vamp-servants).

Although I enjoy reading and seeing (in film) 'good' vampires (come on - Celine's a piece!), I don't really like the concept in my games. One, maybe two that have 'found the light' are okay, but once you make something common its no longer 'special' (remember when Drizzt was THE ONLY god drow?)

And strangely, one of the few major NPCs I have ever created for Realmslore is a 'good' vamp - Brandolar Collinswood, 'baron' of the village of the same name (who may be canon, but I'm not sure - Brian James made his village canon). If we ever see another CkC, I may finally finish his story; his history is long and interesting (he is one of the few beings to walk into Warlocks crypt, and was still able to walk back out).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jan 2012 18:45:50
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  19:25:36  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this movie the night it came out, and I felt ripped off. The plot was thin, the dialogue horrible. The only redeeming quality was Kate Beckinsale in latex. I was very disappointed as I have enjoyed this series up until now. As for vampires in the Realms, we discussed Kanchelsis, Moander, and House Tsornyl here. I don't really think that vampires are appropriate for a PC race. I think in 4e they introduced both Vampires and Revenants, but I don't think I'd allow it in one of my games. If a novel were written, I would probably read it, but it would have to be exceptionally well written to feel as if it wasn't just hopping on "vampire bandwagon."

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  19:34:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

As for vampires in the Realms, we discussed Kanchelsis, Moander, and House Tsornyl here. I don't really think that vampires are appropriate for a PC race. I think in 4e they introduced both Vampires and Revenants, but I don't think I'd allow it in one of my games. If a novel were written, I would probably read it, but it would have to be exceptionally well written to feel as if it wasn't just hopping on "vampire bandwagon."

Revenants are undead but not specifically "vampires". Nor are they specifically detailed in the Realms. But I've incorporated the Raven Queen into my Realms so they are there. As for vampires, they're a "class", with class levels and abilities that scale. Overall, they're pretty weak mechanically. They have HUGE penalties for very little gain, but hey, it's no longer a moot point to play one (like in 3E with a +8 LA ). I do agree that it takes a specific kind of party with a specific style/type of DM to allow Vampire PCs. For one, it could cause a host of problems with their vulnerability to sunlight and campaigns that might take place in the day-time hours. For another, most good or holy NPCs and organizations will jump on the idea of killing them on-site upon ever discovering their nature.

quote:

I didn't say he's not. When I said "more," I meant more vampire masterminds sending out vampire dupes and other undead to hunt her down.

Noted. And that sounds really interesting. Time to do an outline.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  19:49:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, since D&D has liches (something vampire-specific tales DON'T), they are not the 'big bad' of the Undead world, and thats why they don't get featured as much. Liches use them as slaves.

When something else is able to treat vamps the way we see vamps treat others (in other media), its hard to take them as seriously as we do elsewhere.

Another thing on my 5e 'wish list': fix the undead lore - make it more interconnected, then just grouping unrelated things in one category just because they 'lack life'. This is why I proposed keeping the corporeal and non-corporeal undead in two separate books. They really should have very little to do with each other, mechanically.

Also, the can give us an in-between state for some creatures (like a vamp race, which is how some OP's present them) - that would bring some of Eberron's 'Unliving' lore into core. A Damphyr should be a type of Unliving

You know what - now that I look at those two words, they should really switch them, but I guess its too late now. (like Lich, demilich, and archlich - theres another mess; why can't we get some sensical undead terminology?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  19:53:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I saw this movie the night it came out, and I felt ripped off. The plot was thin, the dialogue horrible. The only redeeming quality was Kate Beckinsale in latex. I was very disappointed as I have enjoyed this series up until now.

There's hardly any dialogue, really. And the ones I can remember---Celine's, the doctor's, the stubborn vampire son's, the coven's leader's, and the detective's, are okay.

Anyway, I wonder where did Celine learn that heart squeezing operation he performed on her young vampire friend. I don't recall her doing that in the last three films.

quote:

As for vampires in the Realms, we discussed Kanchelsis, Moander, and House Tsornyl here. I don't really think that vampires are appropriate for a PC race. I think in 4e they introduced both Vampires and Revenants, but I don't think I'd allow it in one of my games. If a novel were written, I would probably read it, but it would have to be exceptionally well written to feel as if it wasn't just hopping on "vampire bandwagon."

No matter how good the vampire-centric Realms novel would be, its release would still be deemed as joining the vampire bandwagon. And that's not entirely bad, as there are a couple of excellent books in the said "bandwagon."

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  19:57:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Unfortunately, since D&D has liches (something vampire-specific tales DON'T), they are not the 'big bad' of the Undead world, and thats why they don't get featured as much. Liches use them as slaves.

If a mere monk (Malark) can kick the bony arse of a lich (Tam), why can't a vampire?

Slaves turning against their masters...That's not unheard of.

Edited by - Dennis on 29 Jan 2012 19:58:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  21:07:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because that tale was full of Malarky.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  21:08:42  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Anyway, I wonder where did Celine learn that heart squeezing operation he performed on her young vampire friend. I don't recall her doing that in the last three films.

This is a guess, but I believe it had more to do with her putting her blood on his heart than her physically doing anything to it because her blood is different now after drinking from Alexander Corvinus. I'm not sure why that would work, but I thought she sliced open her palm before going in and I assumed that was the purpose.

As for the idea of a Realms novel or two centering on a vampire character, I like the idea. I would probably favor a vampire mage. Maybe he or she would be trying to find a way to either undo it or at least get around most of the weaknesses. They are able to create a magic item (a ring, for argument's sake) to make them immune to sunlight and maybe curb their thirst for blood. From there, the story would probably be them trying to evade more powerful vampires who want the ring and possibly the mage too to make more of them. This would potentially also pit the character against some divine servants who are trying to destroy him both for being an undead creature and to make sure his knowledge doesn't spread. Or, it could a mage that sought immortality and while vampirism wasn't their first choice they can learn to live with it. Wooly's paladin idea would make for an interesting story.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  21:56:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:

This is a guess, but I believe it had more to do with her putting her blood on his heart than her physically doing anything to it because her blood is different now after drinking from Alexander Corvinus. I'm not sure why that would work, but I thought she sliced open her palm before going in and I assumed that was the purpose.

Most likely, as her "new" blood enables her to heal faster than others, save her daughter, who heals the quickest.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

As for the idea of a Realms novel or two centering on a vampire character, I like the idea. I would probably favor a vampire mage. Maybe he or she would be trying to find a way to either undo it or at least get around most of the weaknesses. They are able to create a magic item (a ring, for argument's sake) to make them immune to sunlight and maybe curb their thirst for blood. From there, the story would probably be them trying to evade more powerful vampires who want the ring and possibly the mage too to make more of them. This would potentially also pit the character against some divine servants who are trying to destroy him both for being an undead creature and to make sure his knowledge doesn't spread. Or, it could a mage that sought immortality and while vampirism wasn't their first choice they can learn to live with it. Wooly's paladin idea would make for an interesting story.

One of the reasons I agree with Diffan's suggestion of making the vampire protagonist a mage is that she would be able to learn a spell or create an artifact that would allow her to walk in daylight, perhaps by surrounding her with impenetrable shadows that stick to her being wherever she goes.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  23:03:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A simple Protection from Radiance spell should suffice (there was a version of that spell in the Van Ritchen's guide - something like protection from daylight. My assumption, of course, is that 'Radiance' is the fantasy term for UV light (or perhaps, the spectrum just beyond it*).

Now, if she had such a spell, and ran into some of those Warlock Knights, wouldn't they be surprised?

Also in the VR-Guide were abilities vampires could attain (like feats, but in 2e) as they aged, and one was a resistance to daylight (for a few hours per day).

*EDIT: LOL - I just looked it up, and the spectrum (of EM radiation) beyond UV is X-Ray. Does that mean X-rays should be even more effective against undead then UV?

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jan 2012 23:45:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  00:58:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well there is Vampire of the Mists that are semi-Forgotten Realms and vampire centric (Jandar Sunstar).
There are Jander's FR anthology appearances as well, which include:- "One Last Drink" from Realms of Valor, "The Quiet Place" from Realms of Magic, and "Blood Sport" from Realms of Infamy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  02:06:11  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also there's a vampire in Salvatore's The Cleric Quintet.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  02:48:54  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Female vampire, definitely. She should not be small, dark, and mousy, either - looking at her, she should be no smaller than 'average', and she should have the looks, shape, and bearing of a Norse valkyrie.

Class, I would have her being a rogue, a very high-level one with already-extant abilities that have already made her a reputation in the criminal underworld, which vampiric hardiness, strength, and reflexes only serve to enhance.

She herself knows no magic, but has several unique (and potent) items she employs, with an array of magical and silver weapons. Potions and scrolls, while not endless, are provided by a sorcerer or wizard she either has in thrall (details may vary), or has come to a 'working arrangement' with (again, details may vary).

And just because I can:

"Dear Dracula:

Remember that night in Transylvania we spent together, about 20 years ago or so?

You have a son. His name is Edward. Just thought you should know.

- Tinkerbell."

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  07:20:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's so Celine-like. Only with potions and spells.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  07:24:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Also there's a vampire in Salvatore's The Cleric Quintet.

There's also Tammith, a vampire who can transform into bats, in The Haunted Lands. While her role was pivotal to the plot, the trilogy hardly centered on her. Hence, one can't consider that series vampire-centric. And I don't think The Cleric Quintet is vampire-centric, either. At least, that's not what I heard.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  07:40:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nobody's yet mentioned Strahd von Zarovich? A very iconic D&D vampire, and much has been written about him. Indeed more has been written about numerous individual vampires in D&D game products (such as Huntmistress Dhusarra from Undermountain: Lost Level) than has ever seen print in FR novels.

Vampires are central to the Ravenloft setting, whereas they are incidental to the Realms. I personally don't see any need to make vampires prominent in the Realms; to me a setting like Ravenloft seems far better suited for hosting tales of dark horror.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000