Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Monstrous PC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  12:44:00  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been looking at how to convert monsters to PCs and it seems somewhat straightforward, but I'm not really getting it, as usual . I've been working at creating a Tulani Eladrin (I like the old Eladrin better, but 4e's Eladrin are awesome, they should just have a different name and bring back the Celestial Eladrin). Many of the guides that I've read say that the first thing to do is to add the level adjustment (for Tulani, it is +10 in Book of Exalted Deeds) to the hit die, and that should be your character's starting level (Tulani start at level 28?? )

You know what, can someone give me a simplistic guide on going through with this? Just something simply explained. Oh, and I will need a guide on converting characters to 4e rules (yep, I like 4e's game mechanics best).

These are the sourcebooks I'm using:
Warriors of Heaven (Presents all of the Celestial Eladrin as playable races, a great well of information I'm drawing on)

Book of Exalted Deeds (more recent version of Celestial Eladrin, easier to use and more descriptive)

Epic Level Handbook (This is for my LeShay character, as it is the only place where the LeShay are detailed).

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  14:06:35  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, hold on. First, what edtion are you using? Conversions can be done from 3E to 4E, but there isn't a specific guide for it. I too am a fan of 4E, I'll do what I can to help but I need a little more understand of what your doing.

You mention Level Adjustment, but that's not required at all in 4E. So you don't have to worry about that at all. Are you making a LeShay as a Player Character? If so, what about the character do you want to do? Also, what level is everyone at the table? Third, how comfortable are you with reflavoring?

Answering these questions gives us the ability to convert what your trying to do.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  14:26:00  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah-sorry. It was all of a jumble to me, so I'm sorry if I didn't make any sense. I am trying to make a Tulani Eladrin character and a LeShay character. I want them to be 4e compatible, but it appears that I have to go back to 3.5e and whichever edition Warriors of Heaven is to get more player statistics on them.

I have seen that basic stat adjustments that need to be done, so I think I'm okay with that, except with the LeShay. The main problem is getting a class for them. I don't know how to integrate their spells that they already know into the classes I want them to be. I'm thinking of Witch, Wizard, Sorcerer, Sword Mage, and other spellcaster/fighting types.

Maybe you could make an example that I could follow? :)

Edited by - Aryalómë on 21 Jan 2012 14:30:05
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  15:11:56  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erendriel Durothil

Ah-sorry. It was all of a jumble to me, so I'm sorry if I didn't make any sense. I am trying to make a Tulani Eladrin character and a LeShay character. I want them to be 4e compatible, but it appears that I have to go back to 3.5e and whichever edition Warriors of Heaven is to get more player statistics on them.

I have seen that basic stat adjustments that need to be done, so I think I'm okay with that, except with the LeShay. The main problem is getting a class for them. I don't know how to integrate their spells that they already know into the classes I want them to be. I'm thinking of Witch, Wizard, Sorcerer, Sword Mage, and other spellcaster/fighting types.

Well, lets approach this from with an understanding that 4E mechanics will be the basis and look to the LeShay for inspiration. One thing is understanding that one set of mechanics won't work for the other. The LeShay have some crazy, off-the-wall ability to grow swords from themselves. This just isn't possible in 4E unless you re-flavor somethings. I like the Hexblade's ability to materalize weapons from their Pact. So possibly a White Well hexblade Elf or Eladrin that is described/reflavored to be a LeShay and their Pact Weapon is a LeShay blade? What does the LeShay do that really inspires you about their race?

As for magic/swordsman I like: Bladesingers, Wizard|Warlord hybrid or Multiclass, Swordmage, and the Hexblade. Sorcerer with a Dagger is "ok" as are Wizard/Swordmages with weapons, as they work well together. The best bet is to reflavor an Elf or Eladrin "Chassis" into a LeShay or another race that has some similar qualities that your looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  16:02:38  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Well, lets approach this from with an understanding that 4E mechanics will be the basis and look to the LeShay for inspiration. One thing is understanding that one set of mechanics won't work for the other. The LeShay have some crazy, off-the-wall ability to grow swords from themselves. This just isn't possible in 4E unless you re-flavor somethings. I like the Hexblade's ability to materalize weapons from their Pact. So possibly a White Well hexblade Elf or Eladrin that is described/reflavored to be a LeShay and their Pact Weapon is a LeShay blade? What does the LeShay do that really inspires you about their race?

As for magic/swordsman I like: Bladesingers, Wizard|Warlord hybrid or Multiclass, Swordmage, and the Hexblade. Sorcerer with a Dagger is "ok" as are Wizard/Swordmages with weapons, as they work well together. The best bet is to reflavor an Elf or Eladrin "Chassis" into a LeShay or another race that has some similar qualities that your looking for.

I really don't know. I'm just attracted to these fey people for some reason. I tend to get attracted to the royalty type of fey (high elf types).

I just feel attracted to these types of races. I really love the ancient and traditional feel you get from them too.

I want to keep the spell like abilities that the two races have from their previous write ups as well. I don't mind playing as really powerful characters, in fact, I love it. I love the epic battles that happen. But I do want to start at the lowest level possible with them, so I can get a feeling of crafting them and put a lot of emotions in them as well.

Edited by - Aryalómë on 21 Jan 2012 16:04:58
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  17:09:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I want to keep the spell like abilities that the two races have from their previous write ups as well. I don't mind playing as really powerful characters, in fact, I love it. I love the epic battles that happen. But I do want to start at the lowest level possible with them, so I can get a feeling of crafting them and put a lot of emotions in them as well.

Having looked at the leShay from the SRD....it's not going to be easy. They have a dozen Spell-Like Abilities, the ability to fight efficently with Two-Weapons, manifest 2 weapons out of thier "essence", and can Charm people at will....I really think these aspects are just too far out of normal PC abilities. The questions still remain, what level is this going to be attempted for or is this just an exercise in converting something? Personally, the leShay should stay a Monster stat block. At least with 4E, that's possible in creating a leShay via Monster stat block, giving them abilities that mimmic what they can do (almost to a "T") but for a playable character for a campaign....?

Well, if you want to play a leShay in a campaign, I'd go hybrid Wizard|Invoker "elf" and then Multiclass into the Cleric. Wisdom and Intelligence would be the primary stats and fighting with two weapons.....well I'm not sure how that'd be possible since you've really no powers to do so (but could just hold them, like you have the ability to).

Many of the Spell-Like Abilities could be obtained through Wizard utility spells and Rituals and you have some "Blasting power" with Invoker/Wizard spells. Healing comes from the Cleric abilities and you can grab some addtional healing through multiclass feats. IF you want to use two-weapons well, then a suggestion would be to for-go on the Cleric Multiclass ability and instead Multiclass "Ranger". This will give you the ability to fight with Two Weapons, but it also spreads out your Ability score management. Invoker's rely on Wisdom, Wizards on Intelligence, and Rangers (two-weapons) on Strength. There isn't a feat that allows you to use another Stat in place of one for a power except Melee Basic Attacks (which don't allow you to swing twice).

As for the level to start at, well it depends on what level campaign your running but it could be done at 1st. You'd have to use your 1st level feat for the Multiclass feat. And I suggest you reflavor the Elf to meet some of the interesting aspects of the leShay. They also get a +2 Dexterity and +2 Wisdom, allowing you a nice 18 in Intelligence for your Wizard powers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000