Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Need a really small town in The North...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  03:58:05  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ozreth, not sure which direction you want to go or if you just want general ideas?

Seems like it could be easily taken in several different directions from here. Does the party chase him to Quaervarr, and endanger that town as well? Perhaps the drow are slavers, and with Deadsnows have taken all the captured children and youth (easier to handle) down through the caverns that connect from Deadsnows to the Underdark (and Deadsnows quickly becomes a drow-entrenched surface base). Or you could take the party deep into the Underdark, chasing the drow back to their city, where you could eventually confront a big outpost or even a small city.

Perhaps it's more than just slaving that interests the drow. The dwarves of Deadsnows might have been protecting a stolen drow magic item (or cache of items), taken by their ancestors in a long-forgotten war in the Underdark. Maybe you could have it turn into a harried chase through the tunnels, to prevent the drow from returning to their Matron who wants these items (and enslaved youth). Alternatively, the drow may have heard of a magic item blessed by the Lathander priests at their church/temple in Deadsnows, an item based on light that significantly hampered the drow's ability to raid the surface in that area.

Extending further, the drow might have taken this stolen item of Lathander back to their deep outpost, where they have a powerful mage or cleric that will corrupt the item of light and turn it into a tool or weapon of great power.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 12 Jan 2012 04:28:36
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  17:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you know by chance where the Underdark Tunnel near Deadsnows is? The Silver Marches book has mention of it but dosen't say much more. Also, which part of the UD does it connect to? Which drow families etc?

I'm guessing I'll have to wing most of this info.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  17:50:25  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

Do you know by chance where the Underdark Tunnel near Deadsnows is? The Silver Marches book has mention of it but dosen't say much more. Also, which part of the UD does it connect to? Which drow families etc?

I'm guessing I'll have to wing most of this info.

Volo's guide says that it's directly under the dwarven settlement, in caverns that have tunnels leading back to the underdark. These tunnels have been trapped by the dwarves, according to the book, to discourage drow or other nasties from coming up from the underdark. But I'd expect a large force of drow with magic could make short work of that.

So a surprise attack could come from right under the dwarves' feet, in the middle of town.

I'd expect also that the dwarves haven't left them just as empty caverns over the ages, but have probably hollowed out the upper areas and put in some living quarters, maybe some mining areas, certainly some forges and anvils. Maybe similar to Mirabar, but on a much smaller scale since it's a town rather than a large city.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  21:35:55  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good info again, thanks! Which Volos guide?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  00:13:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if the informant is a drow, in human guise? It could be purposeful magic, or it could be he/she is forced to 'be human' as a punishment of some kind.

Exiled from his own kind, he/she finally figures out a way to get back into their good graces (do drow even have 'good graces?)

Now you can go either way with it from here. It could be he/she realizes the drow are just using him, and never plan to change him back or let him return. He/she may have a change of heart at some point (he slides into a crevasse, and one of the PCs risk their own life saving him/her?) Classic bad-guy turns good scenario (it even happened to The Grinch!)

This would actually make for a better short story, or as a plot element in a novel.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  00:26:47  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Volo’s Guide to the North, it has Deadsnows in it. And Quaervarr and others in that area.

Edited by - Therise on 15 Jan 2012 00:28:26
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  01:39:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had written some homebrew about the area - it was up on WotC's site. Its gone now, along with so much else.

I can't remember the specifics - I had updated some lore regarding The Crossroads (it may have even been post-Spellplague lore, now that I think about it).

It was well-received - as I recall, the owners were killed by Orcs, along with everyone else at the inn, and the dwarves of Adbar blamed Many Arrows.... until envoys of Obould delivered the heads of the entire orc tribe responsible to the gates of Citadel Adbar.

I tried finding it awhile back - its gone. And of course, all copies I had are gone as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jan 2012 01:40:02
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  02:13:13  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

Volo’s Guide to the North, it has Deadsnows in it. And Quaervarr and others in that area.

Haha, that would make sense, eh? Not even sure why I asked :)

@Markustay: Sounds like it was cool homebrew, and is too bad it's gone. It's really a shame the way they cleaned house : (
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000