Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Need a really small town in The North...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  06:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Looking for a small town in the north that is far enough away from any of the huge cities and preferably near some mountain ranges. I'm talking a population of 500 or less. I could easily just drop one in but I'm curious as to what may exist.

I've thought of newfort but would prefer something pre 3e.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  06:36:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Longsaddle o' the Harpells?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  06:37:12  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ten Towns of Icewind Dale?
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  06:39:06  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or just invent your own. There must be countless small communities that aren't on maps. A nation would be doted with hundreds of inconsequentially small villages.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  16:52:37  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deadsnows? I don't think there's much more than a few hundred there.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  17:33:33  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deadsnows like Hoondatha mentioned might work. It has some good adventure hooks and information in the Silver Marches book from 3rd edition.
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  00:19:45  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deadsnows might be perfect actually, thanks : )
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  20:59:30  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd had supposed Olostin's Hold (west of High Forest) but first I'm too late and second it's more Silver Marches than North, actually. ;)

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  16:08:42  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silver Marches definitely works, It's still in the northern direction : ) I'll check out Olostins Hold, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  16:26:26  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

Looking for a small town in the north that is far enough away from any of the huge cities and preferably near some mountain ranges. I'm talking a population of 500 or less. I could easily just drop one in but I'm curious as to what may exist.

I've thought of newfort but would prefer something pre 3e.

The logging village of Kheldell, has about 50 people. Mornbryn's Shield is a small hamlet on the moors east of Longsaddle. Perhaps the village of Conyberry, northeast-ish of Neverwinter in a hilled region. Has a sort of hunting lodge that serves as a traveler's hall, IIRC.

They're all detailed in Volo's Guide to the North (1E/2E supplement), along with info on all sorts of other small villages.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 05 Jan 2012 16:44:47
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  18:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a big fan of Quaervarr, for obvious reasons.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  19:23:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folks, I just removed a post from this thread. We do not discuss how to download material that is not legally available. It doesn't matter how easy it is to find -- it is not something that we allow to be discussed, per the Code of Conduct we all agreed to when signing up for these forums.

Section A13 of the Code (see link in my sig):

quote:
13. Discussions and links regarding illegal downloads and file sharing of copyrighted material, owned by either Wizards of the Coast or a third party company, is not permitted on these forums. It would also be appreciated for members to avoid promoting this activity via Private Message/Email to others.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  21:11:45  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I'm a big fan of Quaervarr, for obvious reasons.

I have fond memories of adventuring in and around Quaervarr.

Is the Whistling Stag Inn still around in 4E? I haven't gotten to read Ghostwalker yet. I loved that little Inn, and our DM at the time had it populated with some really cool NPCs, one of whom led us on an Owlbear hunt.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  22:49:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its now called the Humming Stag.

Whistling is no longer possible in 4e.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  03:24:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Is the Whistling Stag Inn still around in 4E? I haven't gotten to read Ghostwalker yet. I loved that little Inn, and our DM at the time had it populated with some really cool NPCs, one of whom led us on an Owlbear hunt.
Oh yes, as far as I know, it's still there. There's a popular bard song based on Quaervarr called the Ghost and the Maiden, which is how the events of Ghostwalker are remembered. The Stag is something of a popular venue for bards and hopeless romantics, buried deep in the cold wilderness.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Alas, if only PHB4 had come out, with its planned section on "PC eccentricities" . . . oh well.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  04:15:48  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Alas, if only PHB4 had come out, with its planned section on "PC eccentricities" . . . oh well.

Cheers

Yea, and the supplement contains more Charcter Options such as Profession [Baker] with over 20 receipes from levels 1-15 and Craft [Weaving] which allows characters make eccentric baskets for their new baked goods.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  05:06:21  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Oh yes, as far as I know, it's still there. There's a popular bard song based on Quaervarr called the Ghost and the Maiden, which is how the events of Ghostwalker are remembered. The Stag is something of a popular venue for bards and hopeless romantics, buried deep in the cold wilderness.

Excellent!

I feel compelled to share a personal story of my group, when we visited the Whistling Stag Inn. We had a rather large player group back in the 80s, six players and our DM. All of us were into what you might call deep roleplay, where you live-act many of your character's actions (not quite LARP, but you get the idea). We also had a tendency to do all-night sessions on some weekends, with lots of strong libations and a sort of potluck.

Anyway, after several hours of wandering in the North on some mission, and I don't quite remember how we got there, we sort of fell into Quaervarr and the Whistling Stag Inn. As one of the most luxurious Inns of the time, it was often favored by nobles on hunting trips (hunting Owlbear and wild boar in particular). Our characters took advantage of the baths, then retired to the main room for a night of singing and fun with the other patrons.

Drinking far too much raspberry schnapps in real life, I decided that my character (an elf wizardess who studied the bardic arts) would sing an old elvish song for the lodge... and I'd actually sing it for everyone at the DM's table. I ended up singing an old Celtic folk melody, didn't do half bad if I say so myself, and the DM awarded me a lot of story XP. In addition to that, I'd "charmed" one of the nobles - who happened to be King Azoun on a secret holiday - and his attendees. And we were invited to go with them the following day on a hunt for wild boar. We later ate roast boar with the King (and in real life got really drunk). How often does something like that just randomly happen? Hehe!

Good times, really good times.

Edited by - Therise on 06 Jan 2012 05:36:27
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  07:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds excellent, Therise! Kudos to your group and your DM.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  10:13:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Oh, hi, wow you're King Azoun, teehee cool <flirt>, pleased to meet you sire. You're far too kind, sire, my singing is not that good."

("Where the hell is that sneaky Vangerdahast bastard? He's gotta be somewhere nearby.")

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  15:58:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

("Where the hell is that sneaky Vangerdahast bastard? He's gotta be somewhere nearby.")
"Oh, don't mind Vangey. He's just hiding in the closet . . . watching."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  16:00:46  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Oh, hi, wow you're King Azoun, teehee cool <flirt>, pleased to meet you sire. You're far too kind, sire, my singing is not that good."

quote:

quote:

Hey, you know the old saying: what happens in Quaervarr -stays- in Quaervarr.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  16:06:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you did mention that you'd charmed Azoun and his attendant entourage. I wasn't going to press for more details.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  16:13:49  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well you did mention that you'd charmed Azoun and his attendant entourage. I wasn't going to press for more details.

Ew, don't be naughty.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  17:42:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ahhhhhhh...

I think I now understand Vangerdehast better... he likes 'watching'.

Ya know, he did strike me as more of the 'dirty old man' type then Elminster ever did. Probably wrote that chapbook about Filfaeril, too....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  18:05:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody's gotta follow Volo around. Elminster can't always be ... handy ... nearby.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  18:22:29  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is "The Griffon's Nest" still around? Depending on your era, the settlement always had some great possibilities IMO. It gives the population as ~900 in the 3E era so using its history you could reasonably assume a lower population.

Here is the link to the FR Wiki entry on http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Griffon's_Nest

Good Hunting!

EDIT: Fixed the link. Can't encode it as words because the FR Wiki doesn't recognize the apostrophe when you do and then you wind up at a "create this page" or the Griffon page.

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"

Edited by - Wolfhound75 on 06 Jan 2012 19:19:14
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  02:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright so I'm going with Deadsnows. The partpuerile pull up to find it in ruin. Turns out drow raided while half the town was out searching for gold during the gold strike. Question is: How did the drow know about the gold and that the town was so vulnerable at that moment? Is somebody on the inside?

Then going to somehow tie it into Quaervarr and an owl bear or treat of some sort :p

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Edited by - Ozreth on 11 Jan 2012 02:51:35
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  05:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Deadsnows completely destroyed? Are there survivors?

And how about this? The drow have an informant, who barely made it out of Deadsnows before the invasion came and people started dying. The traitor is now hiding out at the Whistling Stag in Quaervarr, trying to stay one step ahead of the drow. But the drow now want him/her to inform on this new town as well...?

You can bring in an owlbear pretty easy, I'm sure.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  06:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perfect! I love it. Now to figure out who the informant was and why. But that can come later. Thank you!

And it won't be totally destroyed and there will be a decent amount of survivors. Just need the players to get their characters finished up so I can tie one of them to the town in someway to actually have them invested in finding the informant.

Also...I need a way to get them on the trail of the informant...

Edited by - Ozreth on 11 Jan 2012 06:52:13
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  07:08:38  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also have that same informant be the one who planted chunks of pyrite (fool's gold) around the mine/river... then brought in chunks of real gold to the town surveyor, "accidentally" letting people in on the "secret" of the mine.

With many of the people out searching for this non-existent gold, the drow attack in force, for whatever purpose they're after.

The informant could be motivated by greed, revenge, or even fear. Perhaps the drow are holding his children hostage?

Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  07:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My god this is good stuff. The pyrite idea kind of throws the canon out the window, since deadsnows actually did have a gold rush...but whatever!

The informant doing this because his children or wife or whatever else was held captive is great. It'll throw in a real twist when the PC's finally catch up to him/her ready to shoot but are all of a sudden at a loss for what the right thing to do would be...

Keep it coming :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000