Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  03:50:13  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Ed and THO,

I was reading through the old Dwarves Deep 2E sourcebook (one of my favorite all time works of yours and I would love to see a new one penned by your hand!) and there is a passage about the Lost Runes of Power and that one of these leveled the ancient dwarven city of Dharrmaghongh in Murghom. This got me thinking about dwarven cities of old and also about elven cities with mythals. Did the dwarves have similar rune magics that they wove about their cities that were like an elven mythal? If so, what would a dwarven mythal do or have for powers?

Thank you!

Edited by - Eilserus on 08 Feb 2012 03:50:56
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  03:56:22  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eladrinstar

Ed and THO, are there any prominent Chosen of Mystra who simply never made it into the published Realms? If such hypothetical characters exist, I'll bet they're NDA so I'm not expecting any details, more of a "yes, no, or maybe" sorta thing. Thanks in advance!

Ed has mentioned at least one of them before, in response to a question that I think either Sage or Wooly asked. It's the one who has half his body "augmented" with flowmetal, or whatever it was called (my memory is terrible today).

While Eladrinstar is asking about other Chosen, I'll tack on a question of my own: are there any Chosen who spend the majority of their time in the Border Kingdoms, or who are "based" there? Khelben, for example, is "based" in Waterdeep, while Elminster and Storm are "based" in Shadowdale and the Simbul is "based" in Aglarond.

If so, would Ed be able to provide any details on them?

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  04:44:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Ed and THO,

I was reading through the old Dwarves Deep 2E sourcebook (one of my favorite all time works of yours and I would love to see a new one penned by your hand!) and there is a passage about the Lost Runes of Power and that one of these leveled the ancient dwarven city of Dharrmaghongh in Murghom. This got me thinking about dwarven cities of old and also about elven cities with mythals. Did the dwarves have similar rune magics that they wove about their cities that were like an elven mythal? If so, what would a dwarven mythal do or have for powers?

Thank you!

Protect their beards and encourage their growth, first and foremost!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  04:47:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

Ed and THO, are there any prominent Chosen of Mystra who simply never made it into the published Realms? If such hypothetical characters exist, I'll bet they're NDA so I'm not expecting any details, more of a "yes, no, or maybe" sorta thing. Thanks in advance!

Ed has mentioned at least one of them before, in response to a question that I think either Sage or Wooly asked. It's the one who has half his body "augmented" with flowmetal, or whatever it was called (my memory is terrible today).

You speak of Narandor the Metal Mage.

quote:
Hi again, all. Tidbit time again, courtesy of Ed!
Back on page 80 of this thread, The Sage asked this (as a followup to a query from Markustay about Ed telling us about any Chosen who might reside outside Faerûn): “Ed, I'd also like to hear more about any Chosen of Mystra who might reside [or, maybe, once did reside] beyond Toril itself, perhaps somewhere else out among the reaches of Realmspace?”
Ed replies:

Some of what I’d like to say is under several NDAs, but I can mention one such Chosen: Narandor the Metal Mage. An embittered, cynical hermit (think Eeyore in the Pooh tales, for disposition), this archwizard of early Halruaa ended up on the wrong end of a spell-duel and got mangled horribly, in magics that kept him alive to feel the pain as a foe’s sequence of minor acid-burst and transforming spells wracked him (envisage, if you will, spells that shield the target from system shock and unconsciousness, and shapeshift them constantly to heal and reform around budding cysts in the interior of which flesh-searing acid is developed; the cysts grow and then burst, showering the surrounding flesh of the victim with agonizing “melting” effects; the cysts have an interior coating that resists and contains the acid until the cyst ruptures).
Debilitated but unable to die, Narandor writhed in helpless pain until some of his former apprentices found him. They tried to quell the spells riding him, but managed only to isolate them in several of his limbs—which they then blasted into oblivion. Narandor lost consciousness, and they debated as to what to do for him; slay him out of mercy, transform him utterly, transfer his sentience into a beast-body, or - - their eventual choice - - replace his missing limbs with flowmetal, something many Halruaans had been working on. This is in effect “living” metal that bonds with an organic body and slowly poisons it, but in the meantime can function as replacement limbs, digits, etc. Flowmetal’s poisoning has never been overcome, and its use was later abandoned as spells were developed that could “infect” it swiftly to cause death of someone bonded to it in a handful of breaths, but Narandor received a right arm and shoulder, a right leg, and a left knee, all of replacement flowmetal - - which he has to this day. He counteracted the poisoning by devising a spell that shifts the chemical balance of his remaining organic body constantly, so that it flows in shape, weeps a pus of ceaseless discharges, and can grow functional fingers, breasts, crude press-lungs, false eyes, etc. as he wills.
Narandor was already a master of skyship design, and he sailed one of his ships high into the sky and tethered it to a magically-levitated chunk of rock (all that remained of a blasted-to-dust “skycastle” fortress, that had once belonged to a Netherese archwizard until several rivals decided to destroy him whilst he was in residence).
Then Narandor used his spells to cover the rock with edible mosses, lichens, and mushrooms, and settled down in isolation to devise new spells. His experiments were long and studded with more failures than successes, but he eventually achieved two things: the ability to ensnare moisture and shield his home from the full heat of the sun, so as to keep that dampness and preserve his plants from baking on the rock - - and the ability to move his home through the skies with fair precision. Whereupon, of course, he set about traveling around collecting other aerial fragments, and “growing” his home into his own private little jungle, plus bits and pieces of several ruined skyships and aerial abodes.
Mystra imbued him with some of her silver fire (with his enthusiastic agreement) not to have him be a meddling “remake the world” Chosen, but to store some of herself where others were unlikely to come into contact with it. For his part, Narandor gained a permanent freedom from the flowmetal poisoning effect (the silver fire offsets it), Mystra’s love, gratitude, and presence whenever he grows lonely and calls for it, and philosophical debates from time to time with Mystra or various of her servitors, who now act as Narandor’s agents in Faerûn, to bring him back items he desires (mainly substances for spell experimentations).
Narandor is now fairly contented, though he retains his doleful manner, and lives his life making various exotic wines, researching spells, and using his magics to observe events on Faerûn far below.
This is all pre-Spellplague, of course; what befalls him when the Weave fails is up to you; I’d suspect his aerial home would be sent on a wild ride, and eventually crash to earth - - but I’d not count Narandor out as conveniently dying in the crash. I’d suspect he’d survive the Spellplague, as a disfigured, part-metal wandering wizard who keeps to himself and stays hidden as much as possible. Extremely bad news for any arrogant young warlock or wizard who encounters and misjudges him, of course. ;}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, and spinner of masterful little tidbits of additional Realmslore (like this one) whenever we can nudge him into doing so.
And I (she purred) am a nudger from way back . . .

love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  05:03:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

Yeah, that was me. It was an extension of a similar query raised by Markustay:-

"Hi again, all. Tidbit time again, courtesy of Ed!
Back on page 80 of this thread, The Sage asked this (as a followup to a query from Markustay about Ed telling us about any Chosen who might reside outside Faerûn): “Ed, I'd also like to hear more about any Chosen of Mystra who might reside [or, maybe, once did reside] beyond Toril itself, perhaps somewhere else out among the reaches of Realmspace?”
Ed replies:

Some of what I’d like to say is under several NDAs, but I can mention one such Chosen: Narandor the Metal Mage. An embittered, cynical hermit (think Eeyore in the Pooh tales, for disposition), this archwizard of early Halruaa ended up on the wrong end of a spell-duel and got mangled horribly, in magics that kept him alive to feel the pain as a foe’s sequence of minor acid-burst and transforming spells wracked him (envisage, if you will, spells that shield the target from system shock and unconsciousness, and shapeshift them constantly to heal and reform around budding cysts in the interior of which flesh-searing acid is developed; the cysts grow and then burst, showering the surrounding flesh of the victim with agonizing “melting” effects; the cysts have an interior coating that resists and contains the acid until the cyst ruptures).
Debilitated but unable to die, Narandor writhed in helpless pain until some of his former apprentices found him. They tried to quell the spells riding him, but managed only to isolate them in several of his limbs—which they then blasted into oblivion. Narandor lost consciousness, and they debated as to what to do for him; slay him out of mercy, transform him utterly, transfer his sentience into a beast-body, or - - their eventual choice - - replace his missing limbs with flowmetal, something many Halruaans had been working on. This is in effect “living” metal that bonds with an organic body and slowly poisons it, but in the meantime can function as replacement limbs, digits, etc. Flowmetal’s poisoning has never been overcome, and its use was later abandoned as spells were developed that could “infect” it swiftly to cause death of someone bonded to it in a handful of breaths, but Narandor received a right arm and shoulder, a right leg, and a left knee, all of replacement flowmetal - - which he has to this day. He counteracted the poisoning by devising a spell that shifts the chemical balance of his remaining organic body constantly, so that it flows in shape, weeps a pus of ceaseless discharges, and can grow functional fingers, breasts, crude press-lungs, false eyes, etc. as he wills.
Narandor was already a master of skyship design, and he sailed one of his ships high into the sky and tethered it to a magically-levitated chunk of rock (all that remained of a blasted-to-dust “skycastle” fortress, that had once belonged to a Netherese archwizard until several rivals decided to destroy him whilst he was in residence).
Then Narandor used his spells to cover the rock with edible mosses, lichens, and mushrooms, and settled down in isolation to devise new spells. His experiments were long and studded with more failures than successes, but he eventually achieved two things: the ability to ensnare moisture and shield his home from the full heat of the sun, so as to keep that dampness and preserve his plants from baking on the rock - - and the ability to move his home through the skies with fair precision. Whereupon, of course, he set about traveling around collecting other aerial fragments, and “growing” his home into his own private little jungle, plus bits and pieces of several ruined skyships and aerial abodes.
Mystra imbued him with some of her silver fire (with his enthusiastic agreement) not to have him be a meddling “remake the world” Chosen, but to store some of herself where others were unlikely to come into contact with it. For his part, Narandor gained a permanent freedom from the flowmetal poisoning effect (the silver fire offsets it), Mystra’s love, gratitude, and presence whenever he grows lonely and calls for it, and philosophical debates from time to time with Mystra or various of her servitors, who now act as Narandor’s agents in Faerûn, to bring him back items he desires (mainly substances for spell experimentations).
Narandor is now fairly contented, though he retains his doleful manner, and lives his life making various exotic wines, researching spells, and using his magics to observe events on Faerûn far below.
This is all pre-Spellplague, of course; what befalls him when the Weave fails is up to you; I’d suspect his aerial home would be sent on a wild ride, and eventually crash to earth - - but I’d not count Narandor out as conveniently dying in the crash. I’d suspect he’d survive the Spellplague, as a disfigured, part-metal wandering wizard who keeps to himself and stays hidden as much as possible. Extremely bad news for any arrogant young warlock or wizard who encounters and misjudges him, of course. ;}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, and spinner of masterful little tidbits of additional Realmslore (like this one) whenever we can nudge him into doing so.
And I (she purred) am a nudger from way back . . .

love to all,
THO"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  05:22:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Ed and THO,

Thank you!

It's purely speculation on my behalf, and still not a fully developed theory, but I like to play around in the theory-space of what the earlier editions said about mythals, when they were still vague and general concepts.

In this theory, my view of the primacy of elven High Magic in mythal creation is more propaganda than fact. The elves likely did it better than the other races, but not always and certainly not exclusively. Which opens the door for the possible dwarven equivalent of a mythal.

[This is, though, only after the possibility of ancient dwarven wizards of capable power are also explained. Dwarves Deep tells us "Elminster . . . knows of no dwarven wizards, and believes the inherent magic resistance of 'trueblood' dwarves makes their mastery of wizardry impossible."

Of course, as ever, Elminster might be wrong, and the occasional unique dwarven wizard would be fully within the spirit of Realmslore. And it also doesn't discount the likelihood of dwarven runic magicks literally being "hammered" into the foundations of their ancient cities, and producing the equivalent of either arcane or divine mythal-like properties across the dwarfhold. Perhaps the very earthy-nature of dwarven runic magic brings with it a kind of elemental-like geomancy, that these dwarven runesmiths can harness for the creation of dwarven mythals.]

This helps to explain how humans have also managed to construct many powerful large-scale wards/mythal-like fields, from the 7th-level wardmist through unpublished 8th- and 9th-level spells, short of a literal (10th-level) mythal.

I'm rambling, again, of course. Ed will undoubtedly have something to add.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  06:48:19  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
I've never been a fan of dwarves being wizards myself. I always guessed that dwarven priests and rune magic were far more powerful back then than it is today. And while dwarven priests weren't casting fireballs, their god's domains probably allowed them access to powerful elemental forces of fire and earth or geomancy like you say. My other guesses is that dwarven technology far outstripped other races and made up for their lack of wizard support. Death dealing war machines and engineering etc. 2E Complete Book of Dwarves (another of my favs) has some info on these and I wish we'd see lore on new mechanical, non magical war machines as opposed to the normal ballista and catapult. I have fond memories of that Goblin Grinder machine from 2E campaign days. ;)

At any rate, one would think the dwarves would have had to have some sort of edge in destroying and fighting those orc hordes and other monsters, much like the elves and their mythals helped them defend their holds. And it's all good, I ramble alot too. hehe
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  17:04:34  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message
Would somebody be able to point me to where Ed addressed why the technology of our world would not work in the Realms? If Ed or the THO would be so kind to answer that again I would appreciate it, but a simple reference would do.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  17:44:40  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
Oh, I got rather more lore than I was expecting. Thank you very much to those people who saved that info about Narandor.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  18:29:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Would somebody be able to point me to where Ed addressed why the technology of our world would not work in the Realms? If Ed or the THO would be so kind to answer that again I would appreciate it, but a simple reference would do.

quote:
The physics of the Realms are slightly out of synchronization with the rest of the planes, so that many technological devices which operate on electronics do not function. Equivalent devices may be developed by player characters. DMs should put some thought into what they will allow into their campaign worlds. DMs may choose to eliminate the use of gunpowder (or its magical equivalent, smoke powder) from the Realms, at their option.

-- Page 9 of Running the Realms, in the 2E FRCS

quote:
The physics of the Realms are slightly out of sync with the rest of the planes, so that gunpowder and many technological devices which operate on electronics do not function. Equivalent devices may be developed by player-characters. DM’s judgment is advised as to what may be allowed into the world.

-- Page 9 of DM’s Sourcebook of the Realms, in the 1E FRCS

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  19:36:30  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message
Wooly you rule!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  22:06:36  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Erendriel Durothil

Hi THO, long time no talk :)

I really hope this isn't out of line in me asking, but is Ed Greenwood making any plans to resurrect the old Drow pantheon? Namely, Kiaransalee? I hope this gets to him, as a plea of a die hard fan, if he hasn't thought about it yet.

I'd love to see this too, but I suspect that this is something that may not be Ed's call... at least, not in the timeline moving forward from the Spellplague. Of course, I'll let Ed have the last word on this.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  22:42:04  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

From Ed
The unicorn-and-trees heraldry of Esparin is related to the trees of the Hullack and King’s Forest, and the wilderlands north of both and between both (which were then largely uncleared for farming and still heavily wooded). Unicorns were legendarily numerous in those now-vanished “in between” forests, and one of the noble families of Cormyr that secretly supported Esparin, House Ulmair, used the unicorn as its badge and the chief charge of its blazon.
However, two prominent families of Esparin, the Darlreths and the Melmanes, also had unicorn badges and blazons.
(The Ulmairs are extinct as a noble house of Cormyr, but have numerous descendants in Westgate, and the Darlreths and Melmanes are widely believed to have been exterminated in Palaghard’s conquest of Esparin, but in fact numerous descendants survive scattered across Sembia.)

More from Ed on Esparin here

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9685&whichpage=9

Cheers

Damian

Ah, thanks again, Damian! You know, I must have seen that info somewhere (and the post you linked to) -- otherwise I probably wouldn't have picked the unicorn.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm

Edited by - Asgetrion on 08 Feb 2012 22:44:22
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  22:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

Wooly you rule!

Nah, that was an easy one...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  00:02:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Wooly you rule!

Nah, that was an easy one...

Ah, but how many other people already had those two things prepared, so that all was needed was a cut-paste-post?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  01:17:04  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
<snip>
... and one important something hidden there long ago.
<snip>
love,
THO

I suppose I'll have to try to get my hands on a copy for a re-read, then...

Okay... I've done so, and there's no mention of anything in the privy shaft itself, so it must be something hidden in the lower level that the privy shaft leads to, correct? Either that, or the item was edited out of the published version because it would open up a can of worms for which there were insufficient fishhooks available... so, clearly, the full text of Ed's original must be published, even if only in PDF. [I had more here about PDFs and WotC, but it was turning into a rant, so it went away.]

Ed: Is there anything at all you can say about that important something without violating NDA (other than those three letters themselves, that is)? Oh, and if the answer is yes, please do tell!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  01:18:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Ed's also talked about the technology and physics of the Realms in past replies, Mournblade. Just perform a search of the archives. The entries are prominent enough.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  01:18:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Wooly you rule!

That's only because I wasn't here.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  01:27:25  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
One more question for Ed, from the recent Elminster novels; I'll have to put the question in spoiler tags, because there's no way to ask it without giving things away. Spoiler question: Will it be revealed in the next Elminster novel or two exactly how Mystra survived, or should we simply assume the obvious answer at this point (because of her Chosen)? At any rate, I am eagerly awaiting the next book... and, finally, other upcoming publications for the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  01:39:15  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

One more question for Ed, from the recent Elminster novels; I'll have to put the question in spoiler tags, because there's no way to ask it without giving things away. Spoiler question: Will it be revealed in the next Elminster novel or two exactly how Mystra survived, or should we simply assume the obvious answer at this point (because of her Chosen)? At any rate, I am eagerly awaiting the next book... and, finally, other upcoming publications for the Realms.

Not to speak for Ed, but did not bury elminster deep already say this and that she was attached to some..... ummm.... bodily fluids that was left..... ummm bare.... to the world on some...... ummm grannite or something??

oooh and forgot she became a hitch hiker tooo....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 09 Feb 2012 05:54:48
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  04:13:06  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Not to speak for Ed, but did not bury elminster deep already say this and that she was attached to some..... ummm.... bodily fluids that was left..... ummm bare.... to the world on some...... ummm grannite or something??

Hrm... I don't recall that part... and I read that novel recently... maybe I was very tired when I read that bit. Anyway, I'll await word from Ed and THO, or from another scribe who can confirm your thoughts. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  13:06:39  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message
Hey again,

I find myself wondering about what sort of words one would use, in the old drow language from editions before it stopped showing up, for these things:

Whisper
Rumour
Murmur

And maybe the elven equivalents of them?

(DM foisted a kitten off on my drow character. I'd like to name it, which has encouraged me to want to know the translation of words that will be useful anyway. Unless Ed feels like telling me how to say 'Fluffy' or 'Fluffball' in drow.)

And since I'm apparently asking strange questions today, one more:

How does Elminster do his clothes-shopping? Does he wait for one of the Seven Sisters to tell him he's getting scruffy? ("I've only worn this robe for fifty years, it's good for another seventy!" ?) It must be mildly aggravating to know that if he wears one outfit to shreds, the tailor may be dead of old age and unable to replace it by the time he goes looking...

Thanks. I hope the questions aren't too weird.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.

Edited by - Lady Shadowflame on 09 Feb 2012 13:14:42
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  15:50:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jakk, Ed tells me the answer to your "spoiler question" will be much clearer when you read ELMINSTER ENRAGED, so for obvious reasons he can't say much more now. Other than to say that no, it's nothing to do with bodily fluids on a rock...
And Ed tells me that, yes, the goodie down at the bottom of the privy was edited out purely for wordcount reasons. Here's what he did reveal:
lots of bones, coins, daggers, and little tools etc. from dead bodies (kobolds murdered by other kobolds) dumped down the privy shaft in a hurry to avoid having the murder discovered . . . and the "bigger thing." Think: minor magic item, old, Cormyr-royalty-related, and not something yet mentioned in published Realmslore.
(I seem to recall it was a crown or circlet with ironguard and feather fall enchantments on it, protecting the wearer. But I could be misremembering...)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  17:50:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
thats good to know...... cause that red bodily fluid on a rock was strange sounding when I was reading through it...

So is that going to be the reason on why Elminster is going to be enraged in the next book??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  18:13:38  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO

I posted a question on 3rd November 2011, which I thought would be a quick Yes/No answer...

After four months of waiting I thought I should bring it up again as the response will have a huge impact on my campaign's direction.

So here it is again...

Did Darrask Baergil ever visit the ruins of Belarus's castle, and did it ever feature in the dreams sent to him by Tempus?

Would Baergil have been aware of the ruins location/history due to all the lore and maps he collected?

Thanks...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  04:29:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Will other realms be featured in ELMINSTER ENRAGED?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  01:05:36  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Will other realms be featured in ELMINSTER ENRAGED?

Well, if El is truly enraged, then I would say yes, and some of them may very well be of his (inadvertent) creation... as nice a fellow as he is (albeit a tad grumpy), you don't make "The Man" angry!

At least, that's how I would answer the question. If you're referring to previously-existing realms, I'll let Ed handle that one... and correct me if I'm off the mark.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  02:25:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hmm. I suppose Ed was "dictated" to make Cormyr the setting for most (or all) the novels in the series. Until now, I'm still trying to understand why many people like Cormyr...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  04:02:36  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Hmm. I suppose Ed was "dictated" to make Cormyr the setting for most (or all) the novels in the series. Until now, I'm still trying to understand why many people like Cormyr...

Speaking for myself, I love Cormyr... probably for the same reasons that I love the Realms as a whole minus the time-jump: the detailed history. Much of this, of course, has yet to be published (particularly the Cormyr Lineage), but I'm hoping we'll see that particular example in some form under 5e. I won't ask directly, because I've already done so, and my answer now will be either "not in the foreseeable future" or "NDA" - neither one of which satisfies my thirst for answers - so I'll just sit back and wait... and try to be patient.

Edit: In the meantime, I'm going to get back to letting Ed answer questions here.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Feb 2012 04:19:14
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  04:36:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
And Ed tells me that, yes, the goodie down at the bottom of the privy was edited out purely for wordcount reasons. Here's what he did reveal:
lots of bones, coins, daggers, and little tools etc. from dead bodies (kobolds murdered by other kobolds) dumped down the privy shaft in a hurry to avoid having the murder discovered . . . and the "bigger thing." Think: minor magic item, old, Cormyr-royalty-related, and not something yet mentioned in published Realmslore.
(I seem to recall it was a crown or circlet with ironguard and feather fall enchantments on it, protecting the wearer. But I could be misremembering...)
love,
THO

So... I'll assume that any more information about the "bigger thing" is covered by NDA... and it's not been mentioned at all in published material? If true, that tosses out my suspicions. And when you say "old" are we talking "Cormyr as an elven realm" old, "founding of the kingdom" old, "Thronestrife" old, or something in between? Because I don't really consider post-Thronestrife to be "old" in a dynastic sense.

And now that I've refreshed my memory of the Thronestrife... Ed, I know the entire period is swaddled in NDAs, but is there anything you can say about the Purplethroat Plague? And now, I promise, I'm done asking about stuff I know is 99% likely to be "NDA" in answer. Many thanks.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Feb 2012 04:38:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000