Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Describe your campaign setting vs. the 4E canon on
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2011 :  21:56:31  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of the things that I always love about Candlekeep is the fun that comes from hearing everyone's comments about how they handle it in their own settings. Like, "Bane never died in my game, Myrkul is the God of the Dead, and the Shade forces are all dead at the hands of the Thay."

I enjoy these because I'm a big fan of Rule Zero, "The DM is always right." Really, after playing the Realms since High School, I also throw in a lot of changes that my PCs have made to the Realms and consider them "canon" for future games. So, I think it'd be a cool idea to see what you guys all do to make your campaign worlds unique and distinct.

One thing I'd like to do to make this different from most threads is I'd encourage people to comment on the changes other people have made, for both the good and the bad. I think it'll make the discussion points all the more fun.

As a request, let's try and keep the 4E bashing done. If you don't use it, that's certainly your prerogative.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  03:07:21  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like Shade. Partly it's a hold-over from the extreme loathing I hold for the series of books that introduced it. One way or another, I find a way to blow it up with all hands shortly after it returns to the Realms. One favored way of doing this is to have a spellfire wielder (sometimes it's Shandril specifically rescued for the purpose) use spellfire to shatter the shadow mythallar. The resulting explosion vaporizes the Princes, decimates the population, and everyone else dies when the thing hits ground.

Ok, so yeah it's a big hammer. But darn does it feel good. :)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  03:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard to argue with that specific hammer. The Shades are a group that I didn't particularly dislike but I had to wonder about the utility of. After all, what did they really bring to the table that the Wizards of Thay didn't already?

Also, they came off as VERY oversold.

Still, there's something REALLY attractive about Shandril surviving just so she could blow up the Shades. I may have to incorporate that into my Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  07:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my changes to the 4E Forgotten Realms:

Chosen

* Halastar Blackcloak is still alive because, damn if he's not too much fun. Also, there's something fun about another Netherese survivor who hates Shade.

He's also the Renegade Chosen of Shar.

* Larael and Khelben died defending Waterdeep from a Netherese army 100,000 strong. More than a third of the army was slain in the attempt along with a Prince of Shade.

* Alustriel died due to circumstances unknown. Her body is still lying in state in Silverymoon.

* The Simbul plays a big role in our games, one of the PCs being her reincarnation (basically a living phylactery for her - which means the PC will be obliterated if she's ever reborn). She perished in the final stand of Aglarond.

* Obould basically travels around the Realms, inspiring humanoids and monsters to band together in order to build kingdoms.

* Fzoul, instead of being rewarded by Bane with ascension to being an Exarch, was horrifically punished for his endless treacheries. The PCs in the end, of all things, had to mercy kill him.

Gods

* Mystra isn't dead. Shar and Cyric's plan merely was to corrupt the Weave so that Mystra lost her connection to it. As a result, she's now an Intermediate God whose taken over Azuth's portfolios and some other minor portfolios like Astrology.

* Asmodeus is "God of Evil" and his ascension to deity status is something that freaks everyone out since a Devil being a god is a very bad thing. He is currently worshiped by the Shades as much as Shar. He is enemies with Bane and Cyric who have put aside their ancient feud to oppose him.

Gargauth was devoured by Asmodeus immediately upon ascension.

* Mask is still alive. He's also Vhaeraun (and was him originally). He's god of Spies, Shadows, Intrigue, Rogues, and Assassins (which he stole from Cyric). Oddly, he's allied with Cyric and Shar.

* Eilistraee is the goddess Mielikki. Like Mask, she was Eilistraee first. Her aspect as Eilistraee is destroyed but one of my current planned adventures is resurrecting it. Presently, her former servants are worshiping Selune.

* Corellon Larethian is NG. He's also the god Lathander and the two deities have always been the same. The god Amaunator is actually a misinterpretation of who he is, highlighting his LG side because of recent events in the pantheons.

* Obould isn't an Exarch. He's Chosen of Gruumsh and wandering around the world organizing Orcs to become more dangerous.

* Fzoul is the same, never ascending and remaining Bane's right hand. The PCs finally killed him, however.

* Finder is the god of Good Rogues, Adventurers, Harpers, Good Lizardfolk (under a new Aspect similar to Dragonbait), and Dusk. He's still only a Lesser God and is now in the service of Lathander. He's, obviously, an enemy of Mask though it's largely one sided.

* Tyr isn't dead, he's imprisoned in the Nine Hells and is being tortured by Asmodeus for power.

Lands

* Halruaa's survivors have settled on a vast number of floating islands above their former homeland and now mostly travel between them in airships. They want to rebuild their homeland.

* Aglarond was conquered by Thay after the weakening of Mystra.

* Rashemen has suffered badly and half of it has also been conquered by Thay, the trees felled to fuel the Thayan war machine.

* Netheril is populated by a vast number of Tieflings due to the vast amount of demon worship going on alongside the worship of Shar.

* Evermeet is still intact, though it's now got only a fraction of its former population.

* Daggerdale was destroyed by the Spellplague.

* Mistdale was destroyed by the Spellplague but is now inhabited by a Vale devoted to Ilmater's worship.

* Shadowdale is now a large city called Shadowholme.

* Maztica was simply conquered by a host of Elementalists, Dragons, and Dragonkin rather than displaced.

* Rokugan replaces the Japanese portion of Kara-Tur. I know, I'm horrible.

* Imperial Cormyr actually controls Baldur's Gate due to the PCs overcoming the bad guys in that region who'd conquered it.

Organizations

* The Harpers are, oddly enough, now much larger but less active in fighting evil. They serve as the Realms Post-Office, disguising the efforts of the real Harpers.

* The Knights of Myth Drannor are now the Knight of Shadowholme.

* The Red Wizards of Thay still exist in Thay, totally under "The Supreme Zulkir's Command" where they continue marketing and doing all the stuff they did before. The necromantic armies of Thay are made, instead, of simply all of the dead.

Races

* Drow have become common place enough due to the expanded number of tunnels to the surface that they aren't automatically attacked. Light Elves and Drow still often attack each other on sight but most people consider Drow untrustworthy as opposed to pure evil.

Part of this is due to vast supply depletion in the Underdark, requiring trade.

* Orcs are civilized enough in many places that they too interact with people on a "normal" level. This doesn't prevent them being conquest-minded and wanting to exterminate the elves.

They, like the Drow, are available as a PC race.

* Saurials are revealed to be Dragonkin from Abeir. Their numbers are far vaster now and worship Finder and Bahamut.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 27 Dec 2011 23:45:46
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  20:27:20  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even as much of an avid fan I am of both 4E and the 1479 DR Realms, there are a number of things I changed from Canon, here are a few:

• Gods

• -Elistraee is alive and well.

-I've done what Charles mentioned and fused Mask/Vhaeraun together (they've been the same for me as well).

-Helm is possibly alive, but I'm waiting to see what unfolds in Erik's novels.

-Asmodeus is a deity and has been since capturing Tyr and syphoning off his power in the lower hells. He also absorbed Velsharoon's power outright yet Azuth is still floating somewhere in the Astral Plane.

-All deities NOT mentioned in the FRCG or GHotR are as they were before the Spellplague, no or little change (I think this is Canon though).

• Lands

• -Lantan functions almost exactly like Earth's mythological Atlantis, with elements of Steam-Punk and other ideas directly taken from Bio-Shock the video game.

-Aglarond has a pretty strong standing army of Warforged, 'ported over by the Simbul just before the Spellplague "wiped out" Lantan. They work hard to establish themselves in Aglarond's society and are heavily praised for continually repelling Thay's advancement.

• Organizations

• -The Harpers are a "bit" smaller than they once were, but not to the extent that the FRCG states. And their style has been "The ends justify the means" more now since pre-spellplague.

-The Red Wizards are primarly magical item trafficers and creators. 90% of them have defected from Thay and now work as a loose collection of mages to re-populate the Realms with magical equipment. And really, they deal with pretty much everyone.

-The Eldreth Veluuthra has grown in strength since the re-surgence of Myth Drannor and the changes Moon and Sun (Star too) elves have experienced.

• Races

• -Drow are a bit more tolerated on the surface, though often still attacked on sight from small towns, villages, and hamlets. They're also never trusted and have a hard time dealing with people on a regular basis.

-Warforged have been around since the Time of Troubles when Gond showed the people of Lantan how to create Life Forges. The Lantaneese made warforged (or Gondsmen) as an almost slave labor force, but Gond grew angry at this servitude and gave them sentience. They since revolted and attempted to find their own way off of Lantan. The Simbol, having received a vision of a world-wide disaster and the destruction of Aglarond at the hands of Thay's undead Army, sought out an army of her own. She came across the Warforged and, in an intense arcane ritual, teleported almost their entire race to Aglarond for defense.

-Dragonborn have been around since, well long before the Spellplague (once called Dragonkin) yet during the events of the spellplague, have been relased by Tiamat's horrible control. They've grown to resent most deities, save Bahamut, and attempted to re-unite with their lost bretheren of Abier. They're also looking for another races like them, a once-free race of lizardmen called Saurials.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  22:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My PCs haven't stumbled across any major canon changes yet, actually. I'm sticking pretty close to the 4e FRCG.

I do have a number of plots on the table which don't contradict the current canon or are minorly different:

* Larloch is setting about absorbing the divine essence of slain deities to become the new god of magic (this is my FR version of the Tomb of Horrors). Jury's out on whether this will be successful.

* Eilistraee's reincarnation is running around the Realms in the form of an half-eladrin/half-drow (mechanically an elf) cleric/wizard/bladesinger. Though she doesn't know it yet, she's playing a metaphorical game of sava with the reincarnation of Vhaeraun.

* Akanul went briefly to war with the Shades and almost became a new vassal state (like Semiba), but the PCs saved it by killing the ringleaders of the coup in Airspur, defeating an ancient shadow dragon, and staring down Brennus Tanthul.

* The PCs discovered one of the Nether scrolls and are currently hunting the rest down (it's uncertain canonically where they might be).

* Like Diffan, I consider warforged to exist in the setting--they're called Gondsmen.

* Similar to Diffan, Dragonborn and Saurials originate from the same stock, though they evolved somewhat differently (being as the Saurials were isolated in their own valley, and most "dragonborn" in my Realms come from Abeir). "Dragonborn" is a derogatory term--self-respecting scaly folk refer to themselves as "drakar."

* Genasi refer to themselves by their elements more than the term "genasi" (i.e. windsoul, firesoul, etc.), and abyssal/corrupted manifestations are growing more numerous. Genasi can be born Abyssal or be corrupted/infected as adults. Also, a genasi manifesting multiple elements at once DOES have a hybrid appearance, even though the text in the FRPG specifically says they don't (ironically, the art on that page DOES have the hybrid appearance).

* What I've discussed in the past about elf/eladrin heritage applies in my games: elves are a "lesser" form of eladrin--a dilution of the blood, so to speak, accultured to the woodlands that are like a mortal version of their home Feywild. Amongst other things, when eladrin have children with humans, they produce half-elves (i.e. the human blood has weakened the eladrin blood). It's unclear what the children of eladrin and elves are (probably equally likely to be eladrin or elf).

* Psions and psionic warriors (or battleminds) are both called "mind-mages" (canon nomenclature, from Erevis Cale).

* Fey'ri both exist and play a dominant role in my games (canon from my novels).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  23:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

* Similar to Diffan, Dragonborn and Saurials originate from the same stock, though they evolved somewhat differently (being as the Saurials were isolated in their own valley, and most "dragonborn" in my Realms come from Abeir). "Dragonborn" is a derogatory term--self-respecting scaly folk refer to themselves as "drakar."
e the hybrid appearance).

Interesting. I have thought about using Dragonborn stats for Finhead Saurials, using thunder (sonic) as a damage type for their breath weapon. My Dragonbait miniature is almost finished and I can't wait to play a Saurial.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  00:26:11  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Even as much of an avid fan I am of both 4E and the 1479 DR Realms, there are a number of things I changed from Canon, here are a few:

I think all fans of the Realms keep a few changes between editions or add their own spin.

quote:
-I've done what Charles mentioned and fused Mask/Vhaeraun together (they've been the same for me as well).

Their similarities are striking and it makes me wonder if there was an intended connection.

quote:
-Helm is possibly alive, but I'm waiting to see what unfolds in Erik's novels.

I really need to check those out, I only recently got back into the Realms.

quote:
-Lantan functions almost exactly like Earth's mythological Atlantis, with elements of Steam-Punk and other ideas directly taken from Bio-Shock the video game.

A Bioshock version of sunken Lantan is so inherently awesome I'm totally stealing it. I may also incorporate splicers and the PCs rescuing it.

quote:
-Aglarond has a pretty strong standing army of Warforged, 'ported over by the Simbul just before the Spellplague "wiped out" Lantan. They work hard to establish themselves in Aglarond's society and are heavily praised for continually repelling Thay's advancement.

Well, re-establishing Aglarond is a major goal of one of our PCs (who is the Simbul's daughter) so I could definitely keep this idea as a way to get the land retaken. Maybe they're dormant in my campaign.

quote:
  • Organizations

• -The Harpers are a "bit" smaller than they once were, but not to the extent that the FRCG states. And their style has been "The ends justify the means" more now since pre-spellplague.

Yeah, they'd have to be, wouldn't they. My only conflict with the Harpers was the Moonstars were treated as the "Harpers but better" which I always felt made a morally ambiguous situation rather one sided.

quote:
    -The Red Wizards are primarly magical item trafficers and creators. 90% of them have defected from Thay and now work as a loose collection of mages to re-populate the Realms with magical equipment. And really, they deal with pretty much everyone.

Thaymart makes the lives of everyone who isn't a Thayan much harder -which justifies its existence by itself.

I'd suggest Netheril doesn't much care for them though.

quote:
    -The Eldreth Veluuthra has grown in strength since the re-surgence of Myth Drannor and the changes Moon and Sun (Star too) elves have experienced.

The Elven KKK has a lot of traction.

quote:
  • Races

• -Drow are a bit more tolerated on the surface, though often still attacked on sight from small towns, villages, and hamlets. They're also never trusted and have a hard time dealing with people on a regular basis.

I may adjust my portrayal to be more like this.

Good ideas, all round.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  00:29:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

My PCs haven't stumbled across any major canon changes yet, actually. I'm sticking pretty close to the 4e FRCG.

I do have a number of plots on the table which don't contradict the current canon or are minorly different:

* Larloch is setting about absorbing the divine essence of slain deities to become the new god of magic (this is my FR version of the Tomb of Horrors). Jury's out on whether this will be successful.

* Eilistraee's reincarnation is running around the Realms in the form of an half-eladrin/half-drow (mechanically an elf) cleric/wizard/bladesinger. Though she doesn't know it yet, she's playing a metaphorical game of sava with the reincarnation of Vhaeraun.

* Akanul went briefly to war with the Shades and almost became a new vassal state (like Semiba), but the PCs saved it by killing the ringleaders of the coup in Airspur, defeating an ancient shadow dragon, and staring down Brennus Tanthul.

* The PCs discovered one of the Nether scrolls and are currently hunting the rest down (it's uncertain canonically where they might be).

* Like Diffan, I consider warforged to exist in the setting--they're called Gondsmen.

* Genasi refer to themselves by their elements more than the term "genasi" (i.e. windsoul, firesoul, etc.), and abyssal/corrupted manifestations are growing more numerous. Genasi can be born Abyssal or be corrupted/infected as adults. Also, a genasi manifesting multiple elements at once DOES have a hybrid appearance, even though the text in the FRPG specifically says they don't (ironically, the art on that page DOES have the hybrid appearance).

* What I've discussed in the past about elf/eladrin heritage applies in my games: elves are a "lesser" form of eladrin--a dilution of the blood, so to speak, accultured to the woodlands that are like a mortal version of their home Feywild. Amongst other things, when eladrin have children with humans, they produce half-elves (i.e. the human blood has weakened the eladrin blood). It's unclear what the children of eladrin and elves are (probably equally likely to be eladrin or elf).

* Psions and psionic warriors (or battleminds) are both called "mind-mages" (canon nomenclature, from Erevis Cale).

* Fey'ri both exist and play a dominant role in my games (canon from my novels).

Cheers

I know we're I'm heading first if and when I ever make it to the US. Erik's gaming table!

[I'll note, also, that Lisa Smedman used "mind-mage/magic" predominantly in her 'House of Serpents' trilogy as well.]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
    Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
    Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  01:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Hey Mister Bie.

quote:

Haha, foolish PCS!

quote:

I really like some of these.

quote:

Larloch I always tend to treat as the guy who considers Godhood too much hassle but could probably do it any day of the week he wants to. Given some of his neighbors if he did become god of magic, I don't blame him.

Him as the head of the Tomb of Horrors amuses me, though.

quote:

Oooo, I always liked those two. They always struck me as better rivals than mom, who lorded over both.

quote:

YAY! I love it when good triumphs over bad, especially Shades.

quote:

Fight fire with fire.

quote:

Nice name.

quote:

I had an idea to that effect myself. The elves being not "quite" fey.

quote:

Good name.

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
    Senior Scribe

USA
    508 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  18:15:21  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    You see that sounds like the sort of things Elves would keep out of the common knowledge - that they are "lesser" anythings. So, the someone tells the everyone (during the spellplague) and we end up with Elladrin-Elves.
    Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
    Forgotten Realms Author

USA
    4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2011 :  02:08:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Re: Larloch: You're no doubt correct. His actual motivation for assuming godhood is not yet clear. (I'm basically taking the 4e Tomb of Horrors sourcebook and subbing Larloch in for Acererak and Sharrans for the Raven Queen peeps. Chapter 3 takes place in Thay, actually.)

quote:
    Helm is possibly alive, but I'm waiting to see what unfolds in Erik's novels.
    Heh. Well I obviously play with Helm being NDA and NDA in the NDA, but I can't say because of NDA.

So in this respect, consider my own Realmslore-fu greater than anyone's, for legal reasons.

quote:
    Originally posted by Rhewtani

You see that sounds like the sort of things Elves would keep out of the common knowledge - that they are "lesser" anythings. So, the someone tells the everyone (during the spellplague) and we end up with Elladrin-Elves.
    My distinction only comes across in the mechanics. Canonically in the Realms, the term "eladrin" is rare and "scientific"--members of both eladrin and elf races are called "elves": moon/silver or sun/gold elves are "eladrin" mechanically, while most other elves are "elves."

The "lesser" thing comes from the evolution of the fey races: I see them as originating from one place (which is similar if not identical to eladrin), and the elves of FR (cut off from the Feywild) evolved into a deep connection with the forest while drow were obviously cursed long ago and descended into the earth. The return of the Feywild has empowered sun/moon elves (who were never as earthy as their wood/wild cousins) to make them like eladrin.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
    Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
    Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2011 :  02:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Well in Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet, the Gold Elves arrived as an exiled house of Arvandor (I think).

As a result, it makes more sense for them to be incredibly arrogant tossers who violently object to the Moon Elves ruling over them.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
    Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2011 :  10:18:33  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    My setting is about 95 percent different from the official. Here's a few examples

Gods

No racial gods.
    Finder instead of Kelemvor, he's a dirgesinger-type death god.
    Or Mask is called Loki in the North, Erebus in Chessenta and so on.
    Mystra is not a greater deity because most people aren't arcanists.
    Helm is closer to Heimdall, he survived Ragnarok.

Lands

Shade is a secret city and has not yet revealed itself.
    Imaskar did not return. There is a realm like Numeria from Golarion that emerged from their ruins.
    The sarrukh did not return, they live in the western continent like the Slann from Warhammer. Saurials are their most basic type.
    Lantan always was a remnant from a continent that sunk during the Sunderings, it would be redundant to do that again.

Organizations

The Red Wizards and the Scarlet Brotherhood are originally from Anadia, a.k.a Mars. There is an organization like an Eberron house that replaces ''Thaymart'', different arcane traditions fight for the control over it.

Races

Demihumans are all half-fey, orcs are naturalized demons, and dark elves have white skin
    I use gearforged from Zobeck or the Remade from Bas-Lag instead of warforged
    Drow are not well-known outside the North, they are not more attacked than any other monster race

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
    Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2011 :  12:08:41  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    The Helm = Heimdale bit is actually canon in my realms. It makes Tyr killing him as all the more tragic.

I like the Mask is worshiped as Loki bit.

Though I substitute Cyric as that.

(I've considered having Cyric replaced by him via an ancient Pre-Modern Pantheon artifact containing Loki's bound soul but that seems like it is cruel to Cyric)

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 24 Dec 2011 12:12:01
    Go to Top of Page

Razz
    Senior Scribe

USA
    749 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  02:04:24  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I've kept everything the same. It's much easier that way. But, as of recently, I have began to change things for the first time.

For one, the Spellplague will never happen. The "Weave Saga" adventure books released the year before 3.5e ended is where, in my campaign, the Spellplague is prevented by the heroes.

Next were the Spider Queen line of books. I am not a fan of deicide, so the entire drow pantheon, and Eilistraee, are still alive in my campaign. Lolth simply has Eilistraee captured, and I plan to turn it into an adventure to rescue her.

That's pretty much it.
    Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
    Forgotten Realms Author

USA
    4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  07:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Marc

My setting is about 95 percent different from the official.
    I like the examples and your campaign sounds intriguing.

I must say that I read "95% different," and i wonder what that really means. I'd like to know what 5% is canonical. Like 1 out of 20 gods? 2 of the 40 listed nations? Your setting is called the realms but bears little resemblance?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31726 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  00:42:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Marc

The sarrukh did not return, they live in the western continent like the Slann from Warhammer.
    Heh. I actually did once tinker with the idea of dropping Lustria wholesale into the Realms.
    quote:
    The Red Wizards and the Scarlet Brotherhood are originally from Anadia, a.k.a Mars.
    How did you develop the Scarlet Brotherhood for the Realms?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
    Go to Top of Page

Marc
    Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  15:03:18  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

I must say that I read "95% different," and i wonder what that really means. I'd like to know what 5% is canonical. Like 1 out of 20 gods? 2 of the 40 listed nations? Your setting is called the realms but bears little resemblance?

It is because two of my players know more about the world than me, they've seen it all and I try to obscure and twist things. It's more fun and unexpected for them, and gives me free hands. I can’t say for sure what percentage, tough 95 % of the names are different, for example with the

Gods
    In Common they all have simple names, not very different than in Eberron or Kalamar, Mask, Helm, Founder, Mockery, Traveler, Fury, Reaver, Mystery, Binder, Bane, Firelocks, Red Knight, Martyr and so on. Each culture has its own view and concept about these forces, pantheons not very different than those from On Hallowed Ground or Legends and Lore sourcebooks.

Lands
    The ones I like are canon, about a third of the realms. Most are in a different place, Cormyr is with the Moonshaes, Thay is an extradimensional plateau, even whole Faerun is an arcane rune-shaped structure. Or the Border Kingdoms are not that unstable, the PC’s in the Kingmaker campaign I run call them the Barrel Marches, that’s the latest change.

Races
    There’s no such thing. PC’s are always human, when making a character they can choose from 4 body types and near to 40 cultures from Faerun, and more from other continents. All cultures except the Netherese are inspired by Earth’s history and myths, similar to the Illuskans, Tuigans and so on. They can also add an alien template, but that is considered special and rare, goes from having fey-outsider blood to strange mutations.

History
    In many places the timeline parallels Earth’s, only it’s fantasy where everything is more spectacular. The Feywild world had the Crown Wars instead. Or “Narfell” attacked “Chondath”, they were like the Huns.

quote:
    Originally posted by The Sage

How did you develop the Scarlet Brotherhood for the Realms?

Not my idea actually, I wasn’t the GM back then. I know their ancestors fled from the great flood and landed on the red planet. They were slaves of the spellweavers for a time, until their civilization exploded. They returned and landed in the eastern mountains. The Brotherhood don’t live in the jungle, but similar to the graybeards from Skyrim. Eventually a few of them took control over a post-Imaskar realm and became ‘’the Red Wizards’’. But those in the mountains consider them their tools.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
    Forgotten Realms Author

USA
    4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  07:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Fascinating. It's like the Realms through an entirely different lens.

I want to hear more!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000