Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Spawn of Dragonspear
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  21:21:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More than a century has passed Markustay and it is possible that Wormford has indeed become Womford to align with the local dialect where the "r" isn't usually pronounced. In addition, cartographers are notoriously inconsistent!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  21:50:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Markustay, "Womford" should read WORMFORD, and it is, yes, a separate (VERY small) place from Ironford, specifically a ford (where a small, young dragon was reputedly killed, centuries ago), a mill (mixed grains grinding, or "grist" in North American parlance), and three houses, one of which belongs to Laerran Hawksul, a cynical, saturnine bearded retired adventurer who trades in perfumes, spices, and cordials (as in, semi-medicinal drinks that aren't magical ["potions"], or mixed freshly just before imbibing ["physics" or "physiks"]), buying and selling wares and ingredients (he makes his own cordials, and resells those of others) from/with passing caravan merchants. Wormford has a deep "sweetwater" (clear, pleasant drinking water) well sourced from a subterranean spring that has no connection to the river. It also has two orchards (that bear many "sourapples," the big, sour, green-skinned baking apples, more pedantically known as Orslen's Greens, that end up in many Sword Coast larders because they last so long before going rotten)
This is all straight from Ed's early notes...
love,
THO
I finally got a look at the 'Daggerford Enirons' map that came with the Scourge of the Sword Coast Encounters, and they got the name wrong... AGAIN. It reads 'Womford', even though I corrected it on the map I submitted for that (which Mike Schley must have worked off of).

Seriously... did they think I made an error? They decided to keep the original mistake, instead of using Ed's correct lore... which bodes ILL for everything else.

Or maybe it was an honest mistake, instead of a deliberate one. You know, like the original mistake. There is no need to assume the worst without more information to back up that assumption.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  15:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an organization WotC is very mistrusting of freelancers. I've also had map tags changed on me as well Markus. I'd explained to them that the official map was mislabeled or conflicted with another, more accurate source. As you did Markus, I would go to Ed for the correct answer. It also helped that I had direct access to Mike Schley if need be.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  23:18:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*meh* - I'm over it. Got bigger fish to fry.

I did thoroughly enjoy Mike Schley's version of the map I drew - it was the precise layout (merging the 1e/2e maps with the 3e one) I had done, but then repainted by the unbelievably talented Mr. Schley... which is like a dream come true for me. I never said I was an artist - I am an 'accurate cartographer', and thats as far as it goes.

So that was like my brain (with an ENORMOUS amount of back-and-forth input from Eric Boyd) attached to Mike Schley's hands.. it doesn't really get better then that (to me, I mean... the rest of you are probably gagging).

P.S. - Oddly, they also went with the original numbering for the Daggerford map, rather then the newer system Eric and I came up with. Oh well, he detailed EVERY building - that adventure probably just didn't have the room for all that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Mar 2014 23:19:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000