Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Attack of the Munchkins (and other stuff)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  08:52:44  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The very fact that you felt the need to acknowledge such a statement, suggests to me that you've already apparently changed to cater to what others may claim about you. Or at least create the perception of acceding to what someone else has said about you.

No, not really. I did in no way changed my behavior or attitude based on someone else's words.

quote:
Of course they're not allowed. But you've kind of muddied the waters somewhat, with your response.

Oh. So using sarcasm all of a sudden gives everyone the privilege to not follow CoC?

As I said before, if I did something wrong, deal with it as a Moderator, instead of questioning me like I'm some kind of villain. All I did was express that Marcustay's words insulted me and asked (not demanded) if he could say it a little differently at least in the future.
And I didn't notice that the thread is a little old. My mistake. It wasn't that low on the list of threads. But I don't even know why am I explaining myself.

BTW. It's funny how I'm called a troll for stating that I'm insulted by someones words, but when Arivia demands cease of conversation about a topic that just MIGHT offend someone, Mods applaud and everyone backs up to not upset anyone.
A trolls opinion isn't important, right?

[url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series uk version[/url] [url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-touring-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series touring uk version[/url]

Edited by - Imp on 07 Feb 2012 09:09:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  10:59:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

BTW. It's funny how I'm called a troll for stating that I'm insulted by someones words, but when Arivia demands cease of conversation about a topic that just MIGHT offend someone, Mods applaud and everyone backs up to not upset anyone.
A trolls opinion isn't important, right?

Oh, yes, trying to keep the peace and not get mired down in real-world topics that have already proven to be troublesome is applauding.

If you don't want to be called a troll, don't act like one. And if you want mods to react when you are insulted, don't play up to the insults.

And for the love of Lurue, stop with the "I'm so persecuted!" routine. You've got that much of a problem with the Sage and I, take it up with us by PM, or take it up with Big Al. We don't need the constant "I'm not being supported 100%, so I'm a victim!" crap.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  05:25:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - who dredged this up?

The point is rather moot now, eh?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  05:42:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

LOL - who dredged this up?

The point is rather moot now, eh?

quit acting like a Troll!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  19:23:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, what's all this then? People are calling each other trolls and I'm not one of them? Please! Did you see any of my posts back in late '08 reacting to the Spellplague? Anyway, it's true that all of that was in the past, and I've been diluting my trollish blood with good Cormyr lore from January's DDI (and older sources), but I still object to being left off the troll-call (and my bad puns should earn me some cred here too).

This is far too much fun... I'd better find another scroll and make myself useful.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 15 Feb 2012 19:25:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  20:22:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I was a troll - having a healing factor like that would be awesome.

And the fire thing doesn't bother me - I wouldn't want to get burned regardless. Except for dragons and fiends, shouldn't everyone be afraid fire?

The sickly skin coloring and carrot-nose would bother me, though.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  03:21:38  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wish I was a troll - having a healing factor like that would be awesome.

And the fire thing doesn't bother me - I wouldn't want to get burned regardless. Except for dragons and fiends, shouldn't everyone be afraid fire?

The sickly skin coloring and carrot-nose would bother me, though.

I agree on all counts... I'm already tall and long-limbed, with questionable posture, but yeah, the rest of the physical appearance thing isn't exactly something I'd ask for. If I could be purple instead of guacamole, that would be a step forward; my DM has a D&D Troll mini (from the days of official metal D&D minis) and his wife (GF at the time) did an awesome painting job... without referencing the MM for accurate coloration. The purple skin and orange eyes are seriously cool, tho...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  03:45:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trolls come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

In my HB world, trolls are smallish, almost like 'dire dwarves' (see the movie Troll), or like the ones in the Moonshaes (Runequest called the small ones 'trollkin').

I think the large ones from folklore are redundant with Ogres, so I don't have those (like the ones in Middle Earth). I do have a similar creature to the D&D Troll, which was a unique creation for the game (based on no RW monster) - my working title is 'fenfiend'. Its just a place-holder for now.

I also don't have traditional Ogres. Those are the children of Hags (like the Hagspawn from UE). Hags, in my world, can change their size, and are the females of the giant race (one race, multiple templates). Both hags and Ogres eat people (something harkening back to OD&D and folklore). They can also change their appearance (all fey can, and my giants are fey).

Boy did I change the direction of this scroll. Good thing I changed the title.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Feb 2012 03:46:03
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  04:22:20  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Trolls come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

In my HB world, trolls are smallish, almost like 'dire dwarves' (see the movie Troll), or like the ones in the Moonshaes (Runequest called the small ones 'trollkin').

I think the large ones from folklore are redundant with Ogres, so I don't have those (like the ones in Middle Earth). I do have a similar creature to the D&D Troll, which was a unique creation for the game (based on no RW monster) - my working title is 'fenfiend'. Its just a place-holder for now.

I also don't have traditional Ogres. Those are the children of Hags (like the Hagspawn from UE). Hags, in my world, can change their size, and are the females of the giant race (one race, multiple templates). Both hags and Ogres eat people (something harkening back to OD&D and folklore). They can also change their appearance (all fey can, and my giants are fey).

Boy did I change the direction of this scroll. Good thing I changed the title.

Heh... interesting stuff... and I suppose that whatever's not still in your head somewhere is gone, right? Otherwise, I'd say "post it all!" Which, in hindsight, you're probably wishing you'd done now...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  19:24:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't know the half of it....

I had gotten a new copy of Adobe suite just so I could build an interactive website, detailing a complete fantasy setting, ready-to-use (including tons of maps), all for free. I even had a couple of artists onboard, and if everything worked-out like I planned, I was hoping to get some real designers to eventually detail a few areas, and maybe segway into a 'sponsorship' model (maybe).

I was planning on using the site as a platform - give the setting away, and then sell other things from there (my true goal was to get the setting so popular I could write novels for it). I had even planned to print-out some gorgeous maps and hand them out at Gencon, to create buzz.

Another goal was to also create my own set of level-free rules for RPGing (based on many of my houserules). In fact, my model was very similar to what they propose for 5e (basic rules, and then continuously adding 'layers' of detail). That would have been free downloads as well (with the eventual goal of selling printed books, if there was a demand for that). The 'give the rules away' model worked well for Paizo, so that is why I had considered rules as another avenue to possibly pursue.

All of this was inspired by the popularity of my DeviantART page - I used to take stuff down to put up new stuff, because they limited your storage size, and I didn't want to have to pay to upgrade. Then they 'granted' me unlimited storage for FREE, because of the traffic I get, which made me think "If a company thinks I am worth keeping around, then maybe I can do something with this myself".

So, yeah.... that's pretty much all gone now. I try to find the "silver-lining" - sometimes you need a 'fresh perspective' to clean all the crap out of your design. I still have hopes to do some of this, some day. Hell, I even had a mini-line all planned.

And BTW, this site is a terrific sounding-board for ideas - the feedback is great. I think I am not the only one who has figured this out (which is a good thing, for all of us).

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Feb 2012 19:27:18
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  20:40:43  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You don't know the half of it....

I had gotten a new copy of Adobe suite just so I could build an interactive website, detailing a complete fantasy setting, ready-to-use (including tons of maps), all for free. I even had a couple of artists onboard, and if everything worked-out like I planned, I was hoping to get some real designers to eventually detail a few areas, and maybe segway into a 'sponsorship' model (maybe).

I was planning on using the site as a platform - give the setting away, and then sell other things from there (my true goal was to get the setting so popular I could write novels for it). I had even planned to print-out some gorgeous maps and hand them out at Gencon, to create buzz.

Another goal was to also create my own set of level-free rules for RPGing (based on many of my houserules). In fact, my model was very similar to what they propose for 5e (basic rules, and then continuously adding 'layers' of detail). That would have been free downloads as well (with the eventual goal of selling printed books, if there was a demand for that). The 'give the rules away' model worked well for Paizo, so that is why I had considered rules as another avenue to possibly pursue.

All of this was inspired by the popularity of my DeviantART page - I used to take stuff down to put up new stuff, because they limited your storage size, and I didn't want to have to pay to upgrade. Then they 'granted' me unlimited storage for FREE, because of the traffic I get, which made me think "If a company thinks I am worth keeping around, then maybe I can do something with this myself".

So, yeah.... that's pretty much all gone now. I try to find the "silver-lining" - sometimes you need a 'fresh perspective' to clean all the crap out of your design. I still have hopes to do some of this, some day. Hell, I even had a mini-line all planned.

Oy... well, I'm happy that you can even think of the words "silver lining" without wanting to strangle the source of the phrase at a time like this.

Level-free rules... I'm very interested in this. I've had a skeletal system for classless d20 assembled for quite some time now (based on the Eclipse products by Distant Horizons Games), but I've never been happy with anything that eliminates level entirely... largely because of my inability to eliminate the mechanics of spell level, which then becomes tied to some means of eligibility for such. I suppose tying it to the caster's relevant ability score and casting skill rank would cover it... skill ranks aren't any more or less open to min-max abuse than attack and defense bonuses, and that's the biggest problem with a level-free system to begin with. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how you'd deal with these issues.

quote:

And BTW, this site is a terrific sounding-board for ideas - the feedback is great. I think I am not the only one who has figured this out (which is a good thing, for all of us).

Are you referring to WotC as a company? Please? I don't know any more who's freelancing and who;s an actual employee of WotC, so I've given up trying to determine whether or not our ideas are actually reaching the people who can use them to really change the game. And does this mean that you're now less pessimistic about 5e than you've indicated elsewhere?

Edited by - Jakk on 21 Feb 2012 20:45:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000