Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Bury Elminster Deep discussion - SPOILERS
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  19:50:15  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Let's discuss the events in the novel.

I want to clear up some of the revelations at the end of the novel. Please fill in any blanks or corrections for things I might have missed or gotten wrong.

So Larloch started a cabal to make these Blue Flame Ghost items. He did so from what I can tell is for two reasons. One, he wanted some amusement. Two, he foresaw the coming Spellplague and so he conceived a way in which he could survive it or come back from it. Mystra and Azuth allowed him to proceed because they had foreseen the same thing and also saw it as a way to maintain some semblance of the Weave. To make these items he sacrificed 3 of his most powerful liches and infused their energies into the items.

So now, these Blue Flame Ghost items are to be used to fight the Primordials and drive them from the Realms and seal any breaches they created. It also seems like they can be used to bring back Mystra to full godhood again, or Azuth, or they can bring back Larloch.

So let's discuss what this all means. I'm curious to hear what everyone else things and where this might be going.

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  20:04:34  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems a little unclear whether or not the ghosts themselves are going to be used to seal any breaches made by the current magic using "warlocks" or the Primordials...it was also stated that each blueflame item while the ghost is contained in it has a special (possibly unique, wasn't totally clear to me) power. Seems to me discovering all such "powers" each item has would go a long way to understanding what their eventual purpose and use will be in the future to achieve the stated goals.

Also it is known Larloch has done tasks for Mystra in the past. Given the Ed has acknowledged that gods often have contingency plans of their own in effect and there were some statements that pointed to Mystra being aware of the Spellplague or something coming that would destroy the Weave because it needed to be renewed or restored...it certainly is plausible she saw Larlochs plans as a way to have a contingency in place for her and Azuth's possible revivals as well as a check against the fallout of the coming Spellplague.

The Simbul's actions at the end of the novel to me seemed to insinuate she was fulfilling duties Mystra gave her as a result of promises she made in Elminster in Hell when she requested more power from Mystra in her attempts to save El from his captivity. Her request of Manshoon and El to work together strikes me as VERY interesting given Mystra's comments to El about needing to find/make new Chosen who are very different from each other...all but stating the similarities and closeness of the Seven Sisters was a mistake she wanted to fix going forward.

Plenty more in my head about this series but will see where the discussion goes from here.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  21:19:04  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

It seems a little unclear whether or not the ghosts themselves are going to be used to seal any breaches made by the current magic using "warlocks" or the Primordials...it was also stated that each blueflame item while the ghost is contained in it has a special (possibly unique, wasn't totally clear to me) power. Seems to me discovering all such "powers" each item has would go a long way to understanding what their eventual purpose and use will be in the future to achieve the stated goals.

Also it is known Larloch has done tasks for Mystra in the past. Given the Ed has acknowledged that gods often have contingency plans of their own in effect and there were some statements that pointed to Mystra being aware of the Spellplague or something coming that would destroy the Weave because it needed to be renewed or restored...it certainly is plausible she saw Larlochs plans as a way to have a contingency in place for her and Azuth's possible revivals as well as a check against the fallout of the coming Spellplague.

The Simbul's actions at the end of the novel to me seemed to insinuate she was fulfilling duties Mystra gave her as a result of promises she made in Elminster in Hell when she requested more power from Mystra in her attempts to save El from his captivity. Her request of Manshoon and El to work together strikes me as VERY interesting given Mystra's comments to El about needing to find/make new Chosen who are very different from each other...all but stating the similarities and closeness of the Seven Sisters was a mistake she wanted to fix going forward.

Plenty more in my head about this series but will see where the discussion goes from here.



The theory I have always had in my head about the return of Mystra was that she would return and the Weave would get restored. But this wouldn't force all the people who learned to use raw magic without the Weave, back to using the Weave. So there would end up being two camps. Those who use the Weave and those who don't. This would force Mystra and her followers to try and bring all magic users back into the fold.

Now, it seems like this is shaping up to be a conflict between the warlocks and the followers of Mystra. This is kind of along the lines of my theory, but I didn't see it as being an open conflict. I like this direction though as it allows for plenty of plot points and adventure ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2011 :  11:38:14  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... so they want to bring the Weave back?
What is Larloch doing right now? (sorry for questions, but I won't be able to read the book before winter)

I didn't like the whole concept of Spellplague etc., but it seems to me that now is too late to make a retcon. It would look silly to kill a couple of gods and just after that bring them all back, as well as the Weave with Mystra. Some 4e novels deal with 4e FR magic pretty good and explain how wizards manage to cast without the Weave.

I hope that there won't be a new breed of new Chosen (superheroes). The Realms work quite well without the all-powerful NPCs - I write it from a FR novels reader point of view. I like new heroes appearing, they don't seem overpowered and this makes them believable.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  18:31:16  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

Hmm... so they want to bring the Weave back?
What is Larloch doing right now? (sorry for questions, but I won't be able to read the book before winter)

I didn't like the whole concept of Spellplague etc., but it seems to me that now is too late to make a retcon. It would look silly to kill a couple of gods and just after that bring them all back, as well as the Weave with Mystra. Some 4e novels deal with 4e FR magic pretty good and explain how wizards manage to cast without the Weave.

I hope that there won't be a new breed of new Chosen (superheroes). The Realms work quite well without the all-powerful NPCs - I write it from a FR novels reader point of view. I like new heroes appearing, they don't seem overpowered and this makes them believable.



I dunno if WoTC is going to bring the Weave back, but in my opinion all signs point to yes. I honestly feel that they have to bring back Mystra and thus the Weave in at least some form. Mystra and the Weave is to the Realms like Superman is to the DC Universe. Just look at how much she is talked about in 4E even when she is dead and gone.

As for Larloch, it seems to be implied that he is dead. It's kind of a spoiler but you don't seem to concerned about spoilers.
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  19:42:19  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sooner or later I will read every novel ;), so I'm not afraid of spoilers.

I was fine with the Weave back in 3e, but now I've got used to its absence, so I woul prefer for them not to bring it back. Right now I'm reading "The Edge of Chaos", and the Spellplague concept is very well done in this novel.

Mystra may return for me, but don't find her to be a Superman for the Realms (I've read circa 50 FR novels so far, but only 2 books by Ed Greenwood, so my point of view may be different) I hope Mask makes a comeback (can't wait for the "Cycle of Night"). Perhaps Helm as well (Erik's "Shadowbane" may herald his return in one form or another).
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  19:54:27  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail
...I hope that there won't be a new breed of new Chosen (superheroes). The Realms work quite well without the all-powerful NPCs - I write it from a FR novels reader point of view. I like new heroes appearing, they don't seem overpowered and this makes them believable.


I thought that the "Chosen as superheroes" had been debunked as a fallacy ages ago. For those who still believe that, then why are new novel characters like Raidon Kane, Japheth Donard, and Anusha Marhana not viewed as "superheroes"?


"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  21:46:18  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh course Larloch is dead, he's a lich! (Drum roll)
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  22:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail
...I hope that there won't be a new breed of new Chosen (superheroes). The Realms work quite well without the all-powerful NPCs - I write it from a FR novels reader point of view. I like new heroes appearing, they don't seem overpowered and this makes them believable.


I thought that the "Chosen as superheroes" had been debunked as a fallacy ages ago. For those who still believe that, then why are new novel characters like Raidon Kane, Japheth Donard, and Anusha Marhana not viewed as "superheroes"?





Apples and oranges...some readers will love the important NPC's who are involved in all the major happenings and enjoy the familiarity and continuity they feel reading their stories. On the other hand, you'll have the anti-establishment who will not want some characters to receive so much of the spotlight. If characters like the ones you posted continue to show up over and over as the current Realms timeline unfolds I'm sure they'll have their share of haters for all the same reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  23:42:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Oh course Larloch is dead, he's a lich! (Drum roll)



I was thinking that!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2011 :  07:16:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

As for Larloch, it seems to be implied that he is dead. It's kind of a spoiler but you don't seem to concerned about spoilers.



So he was destroyed---phylactery, bones and all? But how? I don't mind spoilers, by the way.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2011 :  07:21:07  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

As for Larloch, it seems to be implied that he is dead. It's kind of a spoiler but you don't seem to concerned about spoilers.



So he was destroyed---phylactery, bones and all? But how? I don't mind spoilers, by the way.



They never said specifically what happened to him. But they did imply that he "could be brought back". So I am assuming that he was destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2011 :  07:56:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Based on what I've heard so far, specially the long, detailed reply of Merrith to my PM, I guess I will have to skip this part of the series. If Alassra and Larloch get enough coverage on the third book, then no doubt I'll read it...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2011 :  08:03:48  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis


Based on what I've heard so far, specially the long, detailed reply of Merrith to my PM, I guess I will have to skip this part of the series. If Alassra and Larloch get enough coverage on the third book, then no doubt I'll read it...



Why would you skip it? Both the first and second novels in the series are excellent reads.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2011 :  09:28:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis


Based on what I've heard so far, specially the long, detailed reply of Merrith to my PM, I guess I will have to skip this part of the series. If Alassra and Larloch get enough coverage on the third book, then no doubt I'll read it...



Why would you skip it? Both the first and second novels in the series are excellent reads.



I found Elminster Must Die quite disappointing. It had its shining moments in a few pages. But overall, it was...full of characters I couldn't care about. To each his own and all that.

However, I'll be keeping an eye on this series. If I finally see what I want, then I'll give the remaining 4 books, or the third at the very least, a try. [Oh, did I mention most of the reviews on BED online are not favorable?! Not that I always believe them, but still...]

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2011 :  19:04:22  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really, Dennis? You should check more discerning online sources. Most of the reviews I've seen have praised BED either fulsomely or grudgingly, depending on the world-view of the reviewer. I think both ELM and BED are great reads and quintessential Realmslore. As ongoing creator of the Realms, Ed's writing defines the setting, and its character is always rich with lore, whatever you think of the story. I enjoy re-reading old Ed Realms novels and seeing all the characters, hints, and background stuff he slipped in that other writers later used in other tales. It's like seeing the Realms more clearly and more closely, in more depth than most writers show it to us, in the hands of THE BEST travel guide.
And I spotted some references to Larloch that suggest he's still active...
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2011 :  20:13:02  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis


Based on what I've heard so far, specially the long, detailed reply of Merrith to my PM, I guess I will have to skip this part of the series. If Alassra and Larloch get enough coverage on the third book, then no doubt I'll read it...



Why would you skip it? Both the first and second novels in the series are excellent reads.



I found Elminster Must Die quite disappointing. It had its shining moments in a few pages. But overall, it was...full of characters I couldn't care about. To each his own and all that.

However, I'll be keeping an eye on this series. If I finally see what I want, then I'll give the remaining 4 books, or the third at the very least, a try. [Oh, did I mention most of the reviews on BED online are not favorable?! Not that I always believe them, but still...]



I can agree with your assessment that it focused on some characters that weren't as interesting as they could have been. But BED definitely goes back to focusing on some more interesting characters. I would recommend it.
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2011 :  01:53:02  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the newer characters quite interesting...and although you expect certain big names to show up in an Elminster book, I think it's good to remember that a lot of EMD was going to be a re-introduction to the Realms El is living in and dealing with and even more so Cormyr in 1479 as well. El's ability to give you the lay of the land in this current time's Suzail and the interactions of the nobles of the times along with the current King, Royal Magician and war wizards are all essential to getting a feel for what the main characters are going through. I like Amarune and Arclath a lot actually and they get plenty of screen time in BED.

I'd be curious to read these "bad" reviews...although I've seen so many positive or minus reviews of books I loved that focused on all the strangest things. To each their own, I've enjoyed the first two books immensely and will be waiting patiently (or not so much) for next August.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2011 :  07:04:49  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading Bury Elminster Deep now, just got it a few hours ago, and I think it's really quite good. I quite liked Amarune and Arclath in book one, and I'm liking them even more as they develop further. Ed fortunately hasn't forgotten that these books should be FUN to read, not just filled with darkness, aberrations and wacky earthmotes. So far, this is turning out to be one of his best written novels IMO.

And as to these supposed "bad reviews" of Bury Elminster Deep, I haven't seen or come across one yet.


"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2011 :  12:54:22  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And I spotted some references to Larloch that suggest he's still active..


Would that be the relationship between Szass Tam and Larloch in the Haunted lands trilogy?

Anyway. I agree with Dennis on Elminster must die and I had similar feelings with BED.

The books feel like there's two, maybe three chapters worth reading while the rest is boring unimportant filler.

Maybe I'm just dead tired of Cormyr.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2011 :  15:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

quote:
And I spotted some references to Larloch that suggest he's still active..


Would that be the relationship between Szass Tam and Larloch in the Haunted lands trilogy?

Anyway. I agree with Dennis on Elminster must die and I had similar feelings with BED.

The books feel like there's two, maybe three chapters worth reading while the rest is boring unimportant filler.

Maybe I'm just dead tired of Cormyr.



Which chapters would you consider to be worth reading?
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2011 :  16:12:53  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking on BED since I finished reading that yesterday, I'd say the first and the last two.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2011 :  02:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

Speaking on BED since I finished reading that yesterday, I'd say the first and the last two.



Might as well just read a lorebook with a little blurb about the major happenings to the Realms entire and skip all the stuff about current time Cormyr then ;)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2011 :  02:08:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

[...]

Anyway. I agree with Dennis on Elminster must die and I had similar feelings with BED.

[...]

Maybe I'm just dead tired of Cormyr.



That's one of my (quite too many) reasons, too.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2011 :  03:00:41  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

[...]

Anyway. I agree with Dennis on Elminster must die and I had similar feelings with BED.

[...]

Maybe I'm just dead tired of Cormyr.



That's one of my (quite too many) reasons, too.



Yes, Cormyr is quite boring. I realize that it is Ed's favorite spot, but I would love to see him write for some other areas.
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2011 :  13:02:49  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Merrith
Might as well just read a lorebook with a little blurb about the major happenings to the Realms entire and skip all the stuff about current time Cormyr then ;)



LOL.

I'm waiting for Ed to write something that I loved as much as El goes to hell. Hopefully the Cormyr fluff is secondary to major happenings in the realms in his next book.

Maybe I missed it in Elminster must die as I read it about a year ago, but is there some reason that Vangerdahast is a spider like wraith now instead of bound as a dragon waiting to protect Cormyr?
I don't recall it being discussed so I assume the spellplague screwed something up but many magical items were retained so.......


Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore

Edited by - phranctoast on 19 Aug 2011 13:06:53
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2011 :  16:16:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, Cormyr isn't Ed's favorite spot. The Dales and Waterdeep rank ahead of Cormyr in his affections, not to mention Silverymoon and the Velen peninsula in Tethyr.
What many scribes seem to often forget is that Realms novels are works for hire, and their plots, locations, and major characters must all be approved by (and in some cases dictated by) the publisher. (So you're seeing endless Elminster and Drizzt novels because that's what the publisher wants.) There are larger meta-reasons why much of the action in the first three "4th edition era Realms" Elminster books are set in Cormyr, but I'm not privy to the details.
phranctoast, EL IN HELL (except for the opening setup, which came from Troy's trilogy, and the need to get El "offstage" for much of the events of those books) is perhaps the closest Elminster book we've yet seen to being "Ed writing about just what he wants to write about."
And yes, there is of course a reason why Vangey has his current form. The brief explanation got edited out of EMD, from which Ed surmises it's a tale Wizards wants to tell elsewhere and elsewhen.
And of course I disagree strongly with most of the first two books being "boring unimportant filler." Ed's novels have always introduced, developed, or twisted many characters, situations, magic items, and other elements that see later use in other books and adventures, by others; Ed is the "setup guy" for lots of things. So you may not personally like a lot of this filler, but "unimportant" it is not.
The best person to speak for Baleful Avatar is Baleful Avatar himself, but there are subtle references to Larloch being alive in both EMD and BED (yes, right there in the "filler" ); I suspect, given the context of this thread, that it's these he was referring to.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2011 :  17:18:41  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's funny, as I am about halfway through Bury Elminster Deep I was actually thinking it was nice seeing Cormyr again after all this time.

So far, it doesn't feel like I've run into any "filler" at all. There is, though, just a LOT of stuff going on. And there are a lot of characters (particularly nobles) to keep track of in the story. But not in a bad way. The level of detail given would actually be beneficial for a Cormyr-campaign, especially if one likes Suzail.

How often do we get nobles' names, much less details about their lives and their level of support toward the Obarskyrs? I'm kinda stumped as to why anyone would think this is a bad thing.

Furthermore, the story so far has equal parts of seriousness and lighthearted fun. THIS is what I've missed in novels since 4E started. Everything else I've read in 4E is serious/darkness/loss, and I'm extremely tired of that. I've more than had my fill of aberrations and demon-spawn. For me, this novel is FUN to read.

Plus, it has some humorous sexy bits in it. Not all fantasy authors can do that well, but Ed does. And Mirt!!! I freaking -loved- the scene between Glathra and Mirt in the deeper palace, as he was enjoying a "light snack", lol! One Mirt is worth a billion other characters.


"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2011 :  22:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

It's funny, as I am about halfway through Bury Elminster Deep I was actually thinking it was nice seeing Cormyr again after all this time.

So far, it doesn't feel like I've run into any "filler" at all. There is, though, just a LOT of stuff going on. And there are a lot of characters (particularly nobles) to keep track of in the story. But not in a bad way. The level of detail given would actually be beneficial for a Cormyr-campaign, especially if one likes Suzail.

How often do we get nobles' names, much less details about their lives and their level of support toward the Obarskyrs? I'm kinda stumped as to why anyone would think this is a bad thing.

Furthermore, the story so far has equal parts of seriousness and lighthearted fun. THIS is what I've missed in novels since 4E started. Everything else I've read in 4E is serious/darkness/loss, and I'm extremely tired of that. I've more than had my fill of aberrations and demon-spawn. For me, this novel is FUN to read.

Plus, it has some humorous sexy bits in it. Not all fantasy authors can do that well, but Ed does. And Mirt!!! I freaking -loved- the scene between Glathra and Mirt in the deeper palace, as he was enjoying a "light snack", lol! One Mirt is worth a billion other characters.





Nail on the head for how I feel about it. I can't get tired of Cormyr after the Spellplague since I never knew it before EMD and BED. Echo THO comments that the so-called "filler" is really where all the hints and meat of larger meta for the Realms entire stuff takes place. Enjoy it all I say.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  03:59:26  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

No, Cormyr isn't Ed's favorite spot. The Dales and Waterdeep rank ahead of Cormyr in his affections, not to mention Silverymoon and the Velen peninsula in Tethyr.
What many scribes seem to often forget is that Realms novels are works for hire, and their plots, locations, and major characters must all be approved by (and in some cases dictated by) the publisher. (So you're seeing endless Elminster and Drizzt novels because that's what the publisher wants.) There are larger meta-reasons why much of the action in the first three "4th edition era Realms" Elminster books are set in Cormyr, but I'm not privy to the details.
phranctoast, EL IN HELL (except for the opening setup, which came from Troy's trilogy, and the need to get El "offstage" for much of the events of those books) is perhaps the closest Elminster book we've yet seen to being "Ed writing about just what he wants to write about."
And yes, there is of course a reason why Vangey has his current form. The brief explanation got edited out of EMD, from which Ed surmises it's a tale Wizards wants to tell elsewhere and elsewhen.
And of course I disagree strongly with most of the first two books being "boring unimportant filler." Ed's novels have always introduced, developed, or twisted many characters, situations, magic items, and other elements that see later use in other books and adventures, by others; Ed is the "setup guy" for lots of things. So you may not personally like a lot of this filler, but "unimportant" it is not.
The best person to speak for Baleful Avatar is Baleful Avatar himself, but there are subtle references to Larloch being alive in both EMD and BED (yes, right there in the "filler" ); I suspect, given the context of this thread, that it's these he was referring to.
love to all,
THO



Well thanks for the clarification, I should have known better. But it is kind of easy to make that assumption seeing that his last 5 major Realms novels have been set mostly in Cormyr. Also, my thoughts on Cormyr are in no way related to Ed's novels. EMD and BED have been quite enjoyable. :D
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2011 :  09:46:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Cormyr. Pre-during-post Spellplague. It doesn't matter, more Cormyrlore!!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000