Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep Site Downtime (20 Nov 2003-21 Nov 2003)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Candlekeep Webmaster
Webmaster

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2003 :  18:10:51  Show Profile  Visit Candlekeep Webmaster's Homepage Send Candlekeep Webmaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all

As some of you are aware, Candlekeep has been down since 17:45GMT on 20 November until 18:00 today. Visitors were given a 403 Forbidden error when accessing the site.

After a lot of head-scratching and reconfiguring, a fault was located on the domain name database at a third-party location. This database directs the domain name you enter in your browser to the web server on which Candlekeep is located, for some reason the IP address had not been updated correctly.

However, this has now been resolved manually. We are currently awaiting feedback to ensure that this will be prevented in the future.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Jay
Candlekeep Webmaster

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  05:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Believe me, you weren't the only ones with head-scratching. I was trying to figure out how I'd gotten banned; that fear was solved by trying at a different IP address, but I found it, ah . . . let's say "annoying" and leave it at that, shall we?

However, once again, the Candlekeep Spellguard has come through, clearing away the binary mess and opening up these hallowed halls again.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:33:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a funny feeling it was something like that. I've experienced similar problems with my own site in the past.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  18:19:00  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it is good that the keep is starting to get back to normal. I myself, was thrown into a state of panic, and voiced my confusion to Alaundo (for fear that my own comp was going nuts). Thankfully the gremlins that had locked the doors to the keep, (as Alaundo put it ) is now clear. I raise my glass to those who fought for the rescue of Candlekeep. Perhaps one of that bards here should compose an epic in their honor?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  20:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was quite concerned, but had no way to contact any of the staff. I just had to wait, and hope the keep would pull through...
I'm quite grateful for the restoring of Candlekeep's portals.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  10:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, the gremlins were booted out firmly. Blasted creatures, meddling with the locks and hinges, and getting up to all manner of mischief I cant abide the wretches!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly