Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Restless Shore: Worth Reading
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  03:38:28  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Up until this point I have been a FR completionist (I've read ever book to date, except a mere four). However, I'm not sure I can stand to read James P Davis' latest book Restless Shore. I really didn't care for his previous three realms books and while they do contain some very powerful imagery and some sometimes unique and interesting characters, the books always end up missing the mark being slow and confusing.

I have read reviews that say this is his best book, does anyone here have any thoughts on it?

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  04:57:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This has been in my To-Read stacks for some time now, so as his Bloodwalk. I'm also interested what others think about the novel.

I love his Shield of the Weeping Ghosts, so one way or another, I might also like this.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  08:21:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started reading it. Pretty good so far. Intrigued by "the choir."

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  08:35:07  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Up until this point I have been a FR completionist (I've read ever book to date, except a mere four). However, I'm not sure I can stand to read James P Davis' latest book Restless Shore. I really didn't care for his previous three realms books and while they do contain some very powerful imagery and some sometimes unique and interesting characters, the books always end up missing the mark being slow and confusing.

I have read reviews that say this is his best book, does anyone here have any thoughts on it?

I didn't care for it at all. Out of all of the 4E FR novels this one is the most divergent from the feel of an old school Realms novel....if that makes sense. It was also kind of hard to follow. I was a bit surprised by this seeing that I LOVED Davis' other Realms novels.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  01:08:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished it. Good read. The ending was anti-climatic for me. Good book IMO.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  15:37:55  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, it was my least favourite of The Wilds books. It was a bit slow, and I found myself unable to stay focused on the plot.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  19:47:56  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

I feel the same way about MANY of the Realms authors nowadays. I miss Troy Denning, Douglas Niles, etc. However, i too am a completionist and will be forced to push through. At least they are short books. :)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000