Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cormyr and Sembia
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  04:20:30  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In our last session, my PCs went into a series of (political) events in the kingdom of Cormyr, regarding Sembia. Right now the situation is getting rather hot , while the PCs are trying to figure out a solution and on the same time examining the disappearances of senior Cormyrean officials and war wizzards.

The possibility of a breakdown in political relations between the two countries may lead to a number of hostilities or to full scale war.

The campaign is set pre-spellplague 1383-1384 DR and Azoun V is the king of Cormyr, he is inexperienced and good-hearted, he has the backing of Alusair and the people of Cormyr. Already he has quite a few enemies in the nobility.

The Shadovar have already gained a foothold in Sembia, but their power is limited, as their network of spies , pupet lords and agents is not yet completed.

Its not my style as DM to have great nations clash just for the heck of it, and right now im worried of the concequences of a war like that for the whole region (Realm mechanics),let alone the loads of DM planning and the changes of lore.

I was wandering if anyone has tried or thought of something like that in their campaigns, im curious how it went and i hope your suggestions and experiences will provide me with some feedback.

In addition i would like to ask where i can find information about the Sembian army. I know they are using a lot of mercenaries, but i havent found anything solid yet.

PS:This is not intended to become a "Who will win Cormyr VS Sembia" scroll, its about making a good political/war story.

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 05 Jun 2011 04:32:03

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  15:54:00  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Power of Fearun can always help to make plotting a war more managable.

What will become the fulcrum event that triggers the war? The dissapearance of the important individuals needs to be comfirmed as an 'act of war' on Sembia's behalf. Some of Sembia's nobility can and will avoid a war of its more porfitable to lay the blame elsewhere. Others will likely try to 'fan the flames of war' if they see pofitable opportunities (gaining tracts of land or the possesion of a stategic border fortress). Seeing as the ruling power of Sembia is an Overmaster of a council that can be devided on many things, this war needs to be profitable for most to even get any support. The young Azoun appears to have a less convoluted position, but if he (or one of his subject nobles) wants to wage this war he'll need a large amount of support amongst the other obility in the land.

Remember though that wars tend to be very profitable for the winning side. Thats a very tasty carrot for a Sembian mind. Mustering an army is an expensive investment, and mercenary companies need (better to read: crave) experience on the battlefield to maintain high morale and obtain renown. I think a prospect of war would attract a lot of attention from the meriad of merc companies in Sembia, and most would benefit from the situation that much that even though no war was declared, initial independant raiding and skirmishes with cormyrean border patrolls and militia would seem the most profitable thing to do.

Some cormyrean nobles have had a long time of relative peace, and Cormyrs standing armies and those of their allies are likely to appreciate the war effort aswell. Military commanders from all walks of life would crave the opportunity to show their skill and valor. Some new noble sons are wont to acting foolish in trying to find the fame their heritage so often talks off and would love to fight for "King and Country" while sacking Sembian settlements. Within the Cormyrean nobility some might remember the claims they used to have on this or that piece of land in the Moondales and seek to reclaim them.

Now picture the player characters sitting in on a councilmeeting with Azoun and his officials. The amount of diplomacy needed to avert or start the war is an undertaking of massive proportians in itself. So much is at stake, but a lot is to gain aswell. Warmonger nobles need to be distracted, peace minded ones need to be reassured, military commanders need their ambition to be held in check and Cormyrs people need to be protected from all. Not to mention the skill needed to parley with Sembian officials to manage a deal for the missing nobles without loosing half of Cormyrs coffers.

Cormyrs armies need money too, at least for their equipment and feed, but most for wages aswell I guess. Warwizards are to be managed aswell and I think they'll need even more money. Cormyrs army is said to be on of the best Fearun can muster so they'll be quite confident to generate ample spoils of war for themselves if they are allowed to.

Hmm, I need some time to think of the Shadovar and their reaction...

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  20:45:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently running a Pre-Spellplague (1382) campaign that casts the PCs as Cormyrean privateers who are actively working against shipping/smuggling/pirate interests of Sembia on the Sea of Fallen Stars. They get tasked to hunt down Sembian ships, disrupt trade, steal their goods/coin, etc.

By that time (early 1380s), the Shades have pretty much taken over Sembia, though they still rule "from the shadows" (wink wink), and allow Tamlin Uskevren to rule the actual day-to-day affairs of the nation. They are not at open war with Cormyr but are fighting an extended cold war--one of the things the PCs are up to is finding weapons and magic that can be used against the Shades. And who knows? They might find themselves sent into Shade Enclave itself one day as a special strike team.

I think the Shades are unlikely to fight a stand-up war. They are "strike from the shadows" sort of foes, and are much more likely to assassinate Cormyrean generals, politicians, perhaps crowns of state (!!!) and blame it on someone else (like, oh, the Zhentarim, maybe?). It is not in their best interest to be seen as aggressors and unite their enemies against them--better to divide them and make them weaken/destroy each other.

We haven't got into huge political maneuvers, but generally speaking about how to run war in a campaign: Have war be mostly the backdrop. Unless the PCs actively lead the armies all the time, then they are too small to see the big picture. They are more suited for specific rescue/sabotage/assassination missions, with the occasional Helms Deep sort of epic battle. Think movies like Saving Private Ryan, or Platoon, or something like that.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  22:28:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, keep in mind that a lot of Cormyrian nobles are more loyal to themselves, to the nobility as a whole, or to their own pockets, than they are to House Obarskyr or the Forest Kingdom. Some nobles would happily carve out their own realm, others would happily try to plant their own backside on the Dragon Throne, and still others feel that what Cormyr needs is stronger nobles and a weaker Crown.

A smart Sembian agent would be well advised to find a disloyal noble -- or a group of them -- and then encourage/support the ambitions of that noble and his friends. A weaker Crown would be a less formidabble opponent to Sembian interests, be they political, military, economical, or some combination thereof.

You get a good conspiracy going on, the PCs can charge in and save the kingdom and prevent war, and there's no need to involve marching armies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  11:34:38  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all replies, they are very helpful , to be honest i was planning "a good conspiracy , so the PCs save the kingdom and prevent war" , however things went not as I have planned (not at all !!! - I will try to explain below).

Most of the time I give my players much freedom of choice, and this can turn things up-side down. Long story short: here's how it went.

In my campaign the war-wizards are getting a "little more bold" than they should, this is a result of a "failed" (for the PCs) adventure arc. One of my former PCs was a War-wizard, and while he was investigating internal war-wizard matters he was killed by a third party, the player rolled a new character and the search was over. (the Conspirators were lucky)

That gave me the opportunity to further strengthen the conspiracy (heh, PCs failures always have impacts doesn¢t they? :-D )

I actually used a NPC of mine as the chief conspirator, who is currently the head of the war wizard academy, along with a group of trusted people, most of them patriotic Cormyrean extremists, others warlike or over ambitious officials, and the most hardcore of them: people who have lost loved ones in Tilvetron and oppose the Shadovar in any way they can

The "missing officials" were loyal war-wizards and high knights who would either become dangerous to the conspiracy, or had key positions / offices useful for "the cause"

Artfully the conspirators blamed Sembian agents and the Shadovar for most of those "disappearances"

And here comes my PCs to save the day, they are using many contacts most of them from their now-deceased former companion, and their fame and status as "The Wanderers" (party name). Many people were helpful because they served well Cormyr in the past.

This time our renegade War-Wizards kidnapped Azoun the V (oh boy) and they try to convince him to start a war first with talking (he's a kid after all), then perhaps with spells , or worse they will imprison him / kill him and blame the Sembians

In the end the PCs find the kind and the head conspirator, and he uses his best weapon: talk. He didnt want to kill the famous heroes, he wants to conscript them.
After a hour long RP encounter , where the head conspirator explains what he want to do, big talks of victory and such, how Cormyr will benefit of that, how the Shadovar control of Sembia will be damaged, and some other facts either true or bluff , my PCs started to negotiate!!! (Instead of capture / kill him as I had in mind)

The PCs pointed some facts that the conspirator agreed (mostly homebrew stuff: involving the church of Amanator and the protection of he¢s faithfull from the inquisition of Lathander, and how the Amanatori could help fight the Shadovar)

And here's a plot twist caused by the PCs:

They agree to aid the conspirators! They make up a story of how the famous "Wanderers" saved the young king from shadovar agents, and they return to the palace with all honours. Azoun the V is merely convinced after another long RP hour however the PCs didn¢t know if it was entirely natural or magic tricks.

The conspirator let the PCs think that Alusair is also backing him, but the PCs cannot just ask her, can they?

In the End it comes down to this: The PCs are aiding the conspirators, they truly believe that they are aiding Cormyr that way and opposing the Shadovar (We liberate Sembia etc). One of them, a ex-Inquisitor of Lathander and Aumanatori sympathizer is making the foundation for the new church (official) , another joined the Purple Dragons as a commissioned officer with the rank of Lionar

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 14 Jun 2011 11:57:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000