Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Dawnbringer: First Chapter Posted
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  16:29:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Book looks really good.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  17:51:09  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

From the Code of Conduct:

B. SPECIFIC CONTENT RULES AND GUIDELINES
1. When posting comments on a novel, please write #65533;SPOILERS#65533; within the thread's subject line if you#65533;re the originator of the thread. If you#65533;re responding to a post with information from the novel, please insert a spoiler space (ideally, 8-10 blank lines with a spoiler warning) prior to writing. Alternatively, you may select a font color to match the background with a line to instruct the reader to highlight the text to view the spoiler.

I don't think timeline constitues a spoiler. However, I will do as you pointed next time. :)
Go to Top of Page

Samantha Henderson
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  19:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Samantha Henderson's Homepage Send Samantha Henderson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the dates in DAWNBRINGER, there's no idea to advance the timeline wholesale. This is just one of many stories in the Forgotten Realms. Although most of them take place around the time of FR Campaign Setting, there's room for variation, and the timeline was an authorial choice, not an editorial one.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  20:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the book earlier today. I honestly don't get the earlier criticisms. I thought it was a decent book. I would say that the blurb on Amazon is fairly misleading. It has only the barest resemblance to a Romeo and Juliet type plot.

I enjoyed some of the insight into the Devas and their nature, especially the conversation with the godesses, which I am assuming were Selune and Shar by the choice of words and how they were referred to later Also, it was nice to finally see a Rakshasa and I thought the build up to it was done well. Maybe I've just read the wrong Realms books, but I don't recall seeing one before now.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  02:24:05  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samantha Henderson

For any interested, I've posted the first chapter of Dawnbringer on my LiveJournal. It's in three parts, and the first part is here: here: http://samhenderson.livejournal.com/170240.html#cutid1

Hi Samantha. Could you please explain why several times throughout your novel Shadrun-of-the-Snows is mentioned as being "centuries" old. From what I can tell, it was founded either in 1440 or a few years after. That would make it only 145 years old during the events of the book (1585). Was this misspoken or are the dates incorrect?

As for the novel itself, I am enjoying certain parts while other parts not so much. I don't really attribute this to your writing style or ability, but more to a lack of interest in the subject matter. Not really big on inter-merchant house intrigue. You do a great job of painting the mental picture of the events in the novel. I enjoy the way you handle the extra-planar settings. I look forward checking out any future novels.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  04:05:07  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the timeline issue is still bothering me throughout this book. The first chapter takes place in 1460 DR. But on page 217 it mentions that Ivor and Gareth partnered long before the spellplague. But the spellplague occurred 75 years before this book even opens. That is also the second time the spellplague is mentioned as occurring during the events of the novel. Now, the book.ends in 1600 DR, which seems crazy too far in the future. I was thinking that if the dates we just a missprint and the book began in 1360 and ended in 1500 that would make everything make sense and the continuity would jive.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  01:47:06  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually thinking of posting a thread about this book, but here it is! I read it soon after it first came out :) I'll admit the timejump confused me a little too, and now that we know about the Sundering...it has me curious! Samanatha, is there a chance for some kind of sequel?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000