Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The Great Khan Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  23:45:54  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There are only 2 FR products which I dont own, H1 - Bloodstone Pass (not labeled FR but part 1 of 4 of the FR Bloodstone Quartet) and The Great Khan game.

Does anybody own the latter? I have only ever seen it once at this years GENCON but it was ridiculously priced and it didnt seem to be anything id actually use but I just wanted it for completeness. Anyway, I never bought it but just wondered how Realms-relevant it actually is and what the hell its all about.... the cover art looked very cartoon-like, is it just a spin-off of some board game?? I believe its based on an island in the Sea of Falling stars, but thats all I know.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2003 :  00:15:37  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

There are only 2 FR products which I dont own, H1 - Bloodstone Pass (not labeled FR but part 1 of 4 of the FR Bloodstone Quartet) and The Great Khan game.

Does anybody own the latter? I have only ever seen it once at this years GENCON but it was ridiculously priced and it didnt seem to be anything id actually use but I just wanted it for completeness. Anyway, I never bought it but just wondered how Realms-relevant it actually is and what the hell its all about.... the cover art looked very cartoon-like, is it just a spin-off of some board game?? I believe its based on an island in the Sea of Falling stars, but thats all I know.

Ahhh. The Great Khan Game. A wonderful way of wasting time and a game which was years ahead of its time. Well worth getting hold of if you can.

The game is played in the Whamite Isles (for not other reason than it was designed by Tom Wham). I have to say, I could never see any connection to Forgotten Realms other than the logo on the box.

The introduction reads as follows:

In a far-away corner of the Forgotten Realms there is a region known as the Whamite Isles. It is filled with prosperous nations. They are bound by a common heritage, but cursed by constant conflict. Into this world step you, the player, as you attempt to build a fortune and an empire. Your tools will be diplomacy, political manipulation, and, unfortunately, war.

The Great Khan Game is basically a card game. There is a deck of 164 assorted cards. Each nation consists of 6 to 11 cards, depicting the leaders, people, armies, navies, castles, and other inhabitants therein. Players are dealt a hand and then, in turn, draw cards from the deck and meld cards, face up, on the table. Other cards bring events, such as revolts, earthquakes, or rich merchants bearing gold. There are also cards representing mercenary armies, fleets, and leaders, and special magical items.

During his turn, a player can launch political coups and/or wars in order to take countries from other players. Pieces representing military units do not move around the board as in many other wargames. Armies are represented by cards and wars are resolved by simple dice rolls.

The game proceeds until the “Shuffle the Deck” card is drawn from the deck. At this time the Shuffle card is removed and a card called the “Historian” is inserted. The deck and all discards are then shuffled together. Play continues until the Historian card is drawn. At that moment, time freezes on his typewritten pages and the game ends. Players total their treasuries and the value of the countries they control. The player with the greatest net worth is the winner.

Rad, I'm almost certain that if you check the "silver disk" delivered to you last Summer, you may find more information there. If you can't find it, let me know and I should be able to send you some more info.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2003 :  11:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

Rad, I'm almost certain that if you check the "silver disk" delivered to you last Summer, you may find more information there. If you can't find it, let me know and I should be able to send you some more info.[/font=Comic Sans MS][/blue]

Ahh, many thanks kahonen Just the answer I was looking for!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  00:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, this is one of the best games TSR ever produced, whether it had anything to do with the Realms or not.....

Aside from it being noted on a few maps, I believe the last and perhaps only references to these islands in Realmslore was in Sea of Fallen Stars....and I did some truly awful things to them.....

Steven Schend
Digging his way through old threads
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  01:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steven, you do realize you can add that bit about "digging through old threads" to your signature by going to Profile at the top of the page? Sorry if I come across as a little insulting, I just wasn't sure if you knew...
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  01:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Steven, you do realize you can add that bit about "digging through old threads" to your signature by going to Profile at the top of the page? Sorry if I come across as a little insulting, I just wasn't sure if you knew...

Yup, I knew about that; just hadn't gotten around to doing it...

Steven
who usually likes tossing off one last comment here, in addition to a static signature line
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000