Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Which race (or subrace) would you like to become?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  05:29:36  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Which race (or subrace) would you like to become in FR if you were born there? And why?

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  06:19:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Sun Elf. Because we're better than everyone else.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  06:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarf or Halfling. Maybe Tiefling.
EDIT: Maybe a Tiefling from 3.x or before. I do not like the look of 4E Tieflings.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 07 Apr 2011 06:30:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  07:33:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnome. 'Nuff said.

Well, not really. Tinker gnome, to be exact. Because a tinker gnome's "To-Do" list would likely rival my own.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  07:35:31  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow. Or a sun elf or a moon elf, those two would be a bit safer

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  08:02:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chosen

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  08:48:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Shade. With higher tolerance to light than the Shadovar.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  10:24:25  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Chosen

Thats no race and I think shade isn't one either but I'm not sure

I think beeing a Gold Dragon could be a lot of fun
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  10:40:11  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jelennet

Which race (or subrace) would you like to become in FR if you were born there? And why?

Elan.

No longer will there be any risk of dying from old age. Ever.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  11:00:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Chosen

Thats no race and I think shade isn't one either but I'm not sure

I think beeing a Gold Dragon could be a lot of fun

Read Races of Faerun. Shade is listed [pp. 147-149] as one of the minor races.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  11:18:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either an elf, for the lifespan, or a water genasi, for the ability to breathe water.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  11:49:17  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

Elan.

Most wise choice

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  12:16:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Elan.

Death by old age is not a problem among shades, especially the most powerful ones, who [should their shadedom reaches its limit] could cast wish spells to prolong their existence.

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  12:33:16  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Read Races of Faerun. Shade is listed [pp. 147-149] as one of the minor races.

Just checked it and its something you can become not something you are born. So its a template like chosen or lich
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  13:34:15  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Elan.

Elans do not have sex, not because they can't, but because they don't care about it. I'd rather die young than this.

Avariel for me. Expanded lifespan AND flying ability FTW.
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  14:22:41  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LeShay......anything goes as a mad wandering Fey...or a Ghael Eladrin......

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  14:42:00  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fey'ri...
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  14:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

quote:

quote:

Elan.

Elans do not have sex, not because they can't, but because they don't care about it. I'd rather die young than this.

Avariel for me. Expanded lifespan AND flying ability FTW.

Who said they don't care? Is there any info on that race that I missed?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
569 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  15:15:21  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most likely Shield Dwarf. Nothing like a real life of adventure.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  15:36:44  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.. can i choose human?
If not, then i'd have to go for Moon elf. Or Avariel.
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  16:03:03  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it's definitely a gold (or another) dragon. They are beautiful, powerful, they can shapeshift, their lives are very long.
But not a chromatic.
Or maybe a noble eladrin in the Feywild like firre or tulani.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  18:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4e half-orc. Maybe 4e tiefling. I could probably get used to the tail and the horns.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Abenabin Gimblescrew
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  22:57:16  Show Profile Send Abenabin Gimblescrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, this is a tough one. I guess if I couldn't be a human...

Aasimar (pre-4e), Sun Elf, Shield Dwarf, or Rock Gnome.

If I could be a dragon I'd be a Silver or Gold one.

As for why? Well Aasimar so I can use the cheesy pick up line to the ladies, "Need a light?" Sun elf so I could eventually become an Elven High Mage, plus being able to live a really long time is a plus. Shield Dwarf just because I feel like knocking down some giants and yelling, "Timber!" when they fall down. Rock Gnome just so I can be the ultimate prankster!

For the dragon...well can't really build upon much what was said. I guess I kind of horde things in real life so I'm part dragon already by that definition.

Invention is the key to staying ahead of the competition.

Edited by - Abenabin Gimblescrew on 07 Apr 2011 22:59:30
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  23:00:40  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say a Fey'ri... they are sexy as hell (pun TOTALLY intended =w= ), and they have great abilities. plus, their heritage can lead to some pretty sweet advantages.

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
and a heart can only break so many times
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  23:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Abenabin Gimblescrew

Aasimar (pre-4e)
Whatever happened to Aasimar in 4e? I know Rich Baker said that they were looking into a new name for the race. Since I moved on to Pathfinder instead of 4e, I never found out if they did indeed come up with a new name for the race, and if they did, what the new name was.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Abenabin Gimblescrew
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  03:46:19  Show Profile Send Abenabin Gimblescrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

Aasimar (pre-4e)
Whatever happened to Aasimar in 4e? I know Rich Baker said that they were looking into a new name for the race. Since I moved on to Pathfinder instead of 4e, I never found out if they did indeed come up with a new name for the race, and if they did, what the new name was.

I believe they call them Devas now. That was the last I read about them in the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book. I understand why they might have wanted to make it more setting neutral for other worlds, but IMO (to say it politely) it just sounds rather cheesy. I think they could have came up with a far better name.

Invention is the key to staying ahead of the competition.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  04:11:30  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

Aasimar (pre-4e)

I believe they call them Devas now. That was the last I read about them in the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book. I understand why they might have wanted to make it more setting neutral for other worlds, but IMO (to say it politely) it just sounds rather cheesy. I think they could have came up with a far better name.

Abenabin has the right of it, as Aasimars in 4E are now Devas. As for the name, I'm rather not fond of either to be honest. Aasimars always got me strange stares and everyone purposely put the emphasis on the "AAS" part of the name which got chuckles all around. But I'm not a fan of the name Deva either as it always reminds me of Aretha Franklin lol.

But while their name has some strange-ness about it, they're mechaincs are rather unique and interesting and they still make great paladins. So for my selection, I'd probably go with Aasimar/Deva (using either set of rules) or possible Goliath (big, stoic, and likes to crush things).
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  04:59:59  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
moon elf cause the sun elves are to proud of themselves and well I dunno like much of the others later

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  05:09:20  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would have to say Moon Elf or Shield Dwarf.

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  05:10:24  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Abenabin has the right of it, as Aasimars in 4E are now Devas. As for the name, I'm rather not fond of either to be honest. Aasimars always got me strange stares and everyone purposely put the emphasis on the "AAS" part of the name which got chuckles all around. But I'm not a fan of the name Deva either as it always reminds me of Aretha Franklin lol.

But while their name has some strange-ness about it, they're mechaincs are rather unique and interesting and they still make great paladins. So for my selection, I'd probably go with Aasimar/Deva (using either set of rules) or possible Goliath (big, stoic, and likes to crush things).

-So, what are the [Celestial] Devas called now?

-I don't understand the naming/renaming one thing, and using the name of something that already exists to do the renaming (Eladrin, for example, or Dragonborn). Reworking rules/concepts/etc. is already hard enough, I can imagine. Why create more headaches for yourself, in that you'll have to further go into things to differentiate the two things sharing the same name.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  06:32:20  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.

Out of the common races; Moon Elf. I'd have a very long chill life of wenching pretty barmaids and just relaxing. Screw adventuring; Bards get all the chicks.

Ideally I'd be a dragon. Red, Silver, or *Mercury?* variety. I'll live virtually forever; and I'll build up power and wealth; while I lead an uneventful life of wenching, barding, drinking, and long term investments. I could do red; because I have a vengeful streak and I can see myself slaughtering a few adventurers for fun if they're stupid enough to come into my cave.

I'd also keep a secondary backup cave where I bring the ladies to hang out and whatnot. it would have furniture. And maybe some concubines.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000