Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Fables and Fairy Tales
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  05:04:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, sitting tonight and watching "Tangled" (the new movie about Rapunzel...or Persinette) I began seeing great value again in using old fables and such to generate adventures.

Not word for word or direct theft; but inspiration about certain places and such...like the Tower with no Door.

Would any of you care to share what you may have used from old literature in your own games?

I say "The Tower with no Door" for a reason...as it was one of my favorite adventures that I ran...but it had NOTHING to do with Rapunzel...R.E. Howard maybe (Elephant in the Tower).

In my adventure, a Demon had created a tower long ago after ensnaring a Wizardess in a duel of wits in which she lost. Her body was said to be in a state of stasis within the depths of the tower; but it had only one entrance: a landing at the very top that led into the place; and this was over 100 feet up and known to be guarded by Gargoyles.

The adventure was fun...but entirely a lie as the "Demon" was actually the Wizardess who used the story to lure adventurers into her tower where she would then drain them of their life to prolong her own. When the party found her, they had already become suspicious (there were NO DEMONS in the whole place) and started thinking maybe she was a vampire. After the whole mirror and garlic business failed them (at the cost of a party member) they finally got smart and just fought her.

It was fun stuff.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  05:41:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I happily steal apocryphal legends and conspiracy theories for my gaming — they've gotta be useful for something, eh? 19th century Russian literature is a wonderful source for twisted plots full of paranoia, Machiavellian politics, intrigue, corruption, insanity, war, purges, assassinations ... all sorts of great stuff (plus my players don't read Russian, lol).

So, yes I have the Baldurian Illusionati, the Gnomes of Zulkrich, the Crownmasons Guild, and other sorts of tentacled syndicates, cartels, and corporations. In addition to the usual Black Network, Cult of the Dragon, Red Wizards, etc. I even use disgusting Harpers when I have to.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  06:16:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of my adventure hooks were inspired by Disney's version of The Little Mermaid (I've no idea how closely their version tracks with the original tale, if at all).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  07:07:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

So, yes I have the Baldurian Illusionati, the Gnomes of Zulkrich, the Crownmasons Guild, and other sorts of tentacled syndicates, cartels, and corporations.
Mind if I borrow these, Arik? Those Gnomes of Zulkrich will make a fine addition to something I've been thinking about for the tinker gnomes of Mt. Nevermind on Krynn.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  07:28:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No need to ask, Sage. May the lore be with you. My Gnomes of Zulkrich are largely scraped from the ancient Steve Jackson illuminati board game and a thousand conspiracy websites. They run a multi-city banking syndicate, of course. Fnord.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Apr 2011 07:29:31
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:04:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A couple of my adventure hooks were inspired by Disney's version of The Little Mermaid (I've no idea how closely their version tracks with the original tale, if at all).

The answer is- it does not. One of the things I loved about my high school English Lit classes is that we were in the LEAP program, and read a LOT of stuff the rest of the English classes didn't. fairy tale archtypes being one of them. The original Grimm's version was, well- grim. She dies. Yes, that's right- the prince she's in love with ends up marrying someone else (I forget why) and she throws herself off a cliff (while still human) and commits suicide. Beauty and the Beast had a similarly depressing ending- the Beast died of a broken heart after she left, because she stayed away longer than she promised when he had let her visit her family. (There were two rather selfish sisters in the original. They kept her from going back to keep her promise until it was too late.)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  16:38:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My macabre adventure The Innkeeper's Wife is loosely inspired by Hansel & Gretel.

I had thought about creating a group of Shrek-like Ogres, but that would work better in GH (FR is a serious setting). Anyhow, the Shrek movies are great inspiration for how to turn normal 'fairy tales' on their head.

'Illusionati' is great.

So are the rest - I have several RW derivations of 'mythical' groups as well. One group of gnomes that are very.... ummmm... much a racial stereotype (not the actual race, but rather an exaggerated version of the stereotype itself). I unfortunately can't describe them here for fear of offending people. They run the international 'banking system' (which is called the Usurer's Consortium). Think of The Goblins (Gringotts) from Harry Potter.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Apr 2011 16:46:58
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  03:00:03  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My current campaign takes place in Chessenta so I've been dipping into a lot of Greek mythology without trying to be too derivative. We're currently pre-Tchazzar and pre-Time of Troubles; in the next part of the campaign the adventurers will be getting involved in the wars between different city-states, I've been (trying) to read the 'History of the Peloponessian Wars for ideas.

I also have a mercenary company in the campaign called the Sacred Swords of Sune; all the warriors in the band are romantic couples, the idea being that if the person at your side in the shield wall is not only your comrade but your lover, then you'll fight a lot harder to keep them safe. The idea stems from the RL Sacred Band of Thebes, werein all the warriors (all men) were also each others lovers.

Sorry, drifting away from fairy stories somewhat ...!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  06:51:15  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very- interesting.... Never would have thought of that. Also never knew about that tidbit of Greek lore. Might work for the followers of the love-goddess in my realm. The Mighty Aphrodites? LOL!!!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  23:14:42  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason I'm thinking Mercedes Lackey used something similar to that... though it has been a long time since I read any of her work.

In a way I think a lot of what I do/ write is based on mythology. I don't know how many Greek and Roman myths I have used to spawn ideas... Prometheus comes to mind. Having people tortured by having their flesh eaten or cut away only to be healed or regenerated... I think I read that one too. There was a character doomed to have his flesh eaten by ravens during the day, then he regenerated at night...

I've used the influence of Narcissus to come up with appropriate punishments for vain people...

I might also have used Midas to think of ways to punish people by granting their own wishes

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  08:08:05  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Midas, I developed an artifact based on the legend of Astaroth (an aspect of Gargauth recounted in Powers and Pantheons). The legend, detailed in Powers of Pantheons, tells of a dwarven minstrel who visited a dwarfhold. To the dwarves' delight, everything Astaroth touched turned to gold. Unfortunately, when an orc horde descended on their fortress the following day, they discovered all their arms and armour had also been transformed to gold - very pretty, but pretty useless when fighting off an invading army!

I added to the legend, imagining that the dwarf thane cut his own throat in despair as his kin fell about him. The knife also turned to gold, and became a powerful but cursed artifact of Gargauth (if you're interested, there's a full write-up on the latest page of the Candlekeep magic shop).

@ Alystra - The Mighty Aphrodites sounds fun, and if Woody Allen is their leader you should make him a randy old gnome!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  17:37:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Speaking of Midas, I developed an artifact based on the legend of Astaroth (an aspect of Gargauth recounted in Powers and Pantheons). The legend, detailed in Powers of Pantheons, tells of a dwarven minstrel who visited a dwarfhold. To the dwarves' delight, everything Astaroth touched turned to gold. Unfortunately, when an orc horde descended on their fortress the following day, they discovered all their arms and armour had also been transformed to gold - very pretty, but pretty useless when fighting off an invading army!

I added to the legend, imagining that the dwarf thane cut his own throat in despair as his kin fell about him. The knife also turned to gold, and became a powerful but cursed artifact of Gargauth (if you're interested, there's a full write-up on the latest page of the Candlekeep magic shop).

@ Alystra - The Mighty Aphrodites sounds fun, and if Woody Allen is their leader you should make him a randy old gnome!

Cursed Artifact of Gargauth!

MINE!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  00:03:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's always the headless Zhent.

Gawd, I love bringing that up. In the words of Bugs Bunny, "Ain't I a stinker?"

Anyhow, the real Grimm's Fairy Tales were pretty damn grim, and they make for great fodder. The movie maybe not so much (although the time-period would be about right for the realms - very early firearms...)

You could definitely do a lot with Rumplstilskin. Sleeping Beauty is just TOO easy. Even things like the Old Woman who lived in a shoe (a Titan's shoe, maybe), or Peter-peter, pumpkin-eater (I'm picturing a sociopath who hides his victims inside the giant gourds that grow behind his cottage).

Heck, Little Miss Muffet is just begging for a drow re-make.

Old Mother Hubbard and her son, the werewolf... the list goes on and on....

EDIT: Apparently someone beat us to it - there is an entire comic based on re-visualizing (making them for 'grown-ups') fairy tales, called, quite appropriately, Grimm Fairy Tales. Although I can't post individual covers, because some are quite Risque', that link shows a really cool cover from the 50th issue, which shows many of the characters they have re-imagined.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Apr 2011 00:18:05
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  00:51:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some very cool pics featuring the Big, Bad Wolf. I especially like the last one down on the left.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 06 Apr 2011 00:58:11
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  03:07:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the whole collection of those and they're fantastic. :) I also love their remakes of Alice in Wonderland.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

EDIT: Apparently someone beat us to it - there is an entire comic based on re-visualizing (making them for 'grown-ups') fairy tales, called, quite appropriately, Grimm Fairy Tales. Although I can't post individual covers, because some are quite Risque', that link shows a really cool cover from the 50th issue, which shows many of the characters they have re-imagined.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  04:07:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I have the whole collection of those and they're fantastic. :) I also love their remakes of Alice in Wonderland.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I dropped off from this series a while back... but I'm regretting it now, as I'm looking over some of the classic tales they're currently re-telling.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  05:20:46  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were also the Marvel Fairy Tales line for a while- re-telling classic fairy tales using the characters of the MU. Some of them were very good!

Um, MT- you DO realize what "Peter, Peter, Pumpkin-eater" was REALLY about, right? Read the lines about "keeping" his wife, and then tell me you don't get a good laugh! (And I don't even want to get started on the meaning of "Georgie-Porgie", or "Rub-a-dub-dub"....)

Edit: And That just reminded me of another- "Ring Around the Rosie" might make for a really fun adventure hook! Perhaps there's a prophesy about a plague- in the form of a simple poem....

My stories:

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 06 Apr 2011 05:22:32
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  08:16:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmph.

According to Wiki, its based on an older nursery rhyme called Eeper Weeper.

Rather violent, those old Brits.

The dead body stuffed up the chimney has definite D&D possibilities, though.

Humpty Dumpty could be an unfortunate Warforged lookout.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  20:54:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure there's any direct connection between the two. They may have just been regional variations. The pumpkin-eater version seems to be more suggestive of marital relations- the "older" one just seems like a psychopath of some sort.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000