Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven High Magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  01:09:36  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there going to be any sources where our FR Elazdrin/Elves can learn Hgh Magic again? Also, are there going to be any FR specific source books like Races of Faerun (a COMPLETE one) and Magic of Faern? Oh, and Faiths and Pantheons?

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  01:15:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The answer to both your questions is most likely no. WotC has made it very clear that they aren't releasing any sourcebooks in a setting beyond the basic two, which means the setting depth we've been used to just isn't going to happen in 4e. Unless they change their minds, but I haven't heard anything about them doing that yet.

In 4e terms, an elven high mage would probably be an epic destiny. On the other hand, 4e wizards aren't really wizards any more, so neither term works properly. But you'd need to get someone more versed in 4e mechanics than me to give a shot at whipping up something that might be half-way feasible.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  01:16:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last I knew there were no plans for a F&P, 3rd Edition mostly eliminated High Elven Magic so I consider odds low that such will be discussed again.
As to a source book at launch the announcement was only the few already announced and in print.
This however clearly does not prevent the powers that be to change plans and decide to release more source books.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  11:35:08  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The answer to both your questions is most likely no. WotC has made it very clear that they aren't releasing any sourcebooks in a setting beyond the basic two, which means the setting depth we've been used to just isn't going to happen in 4e. Unless they change their minds, but I haven't heard anything about them doing that yet.

Nothing about Elven High Mages but should be something about Bladesingers, but regarding Hoondatha's reply about no more setting books, I refer you to this:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Neverwinter_Campaign_Guide

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  21:35:01  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What previous source books shoild I use for my Sun Elf High Mage qho's Chosen of Corellon nd multi classing as a cleric?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  21:42:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves of Evermeet, might be best place to start.
One thing to remember, older edition source books, used different tules. You would likely have to house rule them for a 4th game.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  21:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves of Evermeet is ok, but the true source for info on Elven High Magic is the 2e book Cormanthyr.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  22:49:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves is a free download. It's 2E, so you'll have to convert it into 4E rules.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  13:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of Faerûn as well for Sun Elf flavor

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  14:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Nothing about Elven High Mages but should be something about Bladesingers, but regarding Hoondatha's reply about no more setting books, I refer you to this:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Neverwinter_Campaign_Guide

Thanks for the link, Alisttair.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page